Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » machine shops around east bay

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: machine shops around east bay
vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vortek01gt  Ford pictures for vortek01gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking for a machine shop around concord martinez area tp take my heads to. Anyone have any recommendations?

--------------------
2001 GT s-trim h/c t56 AED tuned
456hp 415ftlb 10psi-street
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race
11.26@121mph 1.57 60ft-street
10.81@126mph 1.56 60ft-race

Posts: 622 | From: martinez CA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Morgan's in walnut creek.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 for Morgan's. They did a great job on a BMW head for me last year.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rankin performance right in martinez

John is a good dude and does great work!

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3cRider  Ford pictures for 3cRider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rankin Performance Machine is far and above my go-to for machine work. They created the V10 stroker program for Dinan, do all kinds of crazy race motors and high-dollar things like V12 Packards, Dusenburg Straigh-8s and other priceless stuff.
John, the owner, is GOOD! He helped Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords with one of their builds and was featured in the Goodguys Gazette recently as well.

https://www.facebook.com/RankinPerformanceMachine?ref=br_tf

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Morgan's in walnut creek.

+1. They're a great shop. I wouldn't hesitate to take anything there.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 3cRider:
Rankin Performance Machine is far and above my go-to for machine work. They created the V10 stroker program for Dinan, do all kinds of crazy race motors and high-dollar things like V12 Packards, Dusenburg Straigh-8s and other priceless stuff.
John, the owner, is GOOD! He helped Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords with one of their builds and was featured in the Goodguys Gazette recently as well.

you talking about the S85?

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3cRider  Ford pictures for 3cRider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 327:
quote:

Yes, sir. The 5.0-liter V10 from the E60 M5s. Back in the day, Dinan approached him about the stroker program since RPM has a crazy CNC machine and the owner has years of experience with priceless (and weird) motors like the Dusenburgs, Packards, W-block Chevys, Ferraris etc. that could not be messed up because they were virtually irreplaceable. Since the S85s aren't cheap, as with most of the big-buck motors, he had to get it right the first time. John, the owner, figured out the intricacies of the motor and what needed to be done to increase the stroke and then wrote the CNC program, made a few and then Dinan moved it back in-house. He even does this cool thing with Subaru heads that opens the 2.0 heads, which I guess don't have oiling problems, up to the size of the 2.5 head without killing the compression. He does a lot of the machine work for speed shops all over the Bay Area and the Subaru head program he created, which I don't pretend to be an expert on, is pretty cool.
If you're ever down there at RPM, ask John about some of the interesting motors he's machined or repaired, it'll blow your mind...and the funny thing is, he's not boastful or anything, just an ol' gearhead.
It might seem like I'm blowing these guys up a ton, but I'm not. I just know how important quality machine work is and I've never had a problems with RPM. To be fair though, I've also heard good things about Morgans.

[ 2014-09-09, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: 3cRider ]

vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vortek01gt  Ford pictures for vortek01gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh no shit? I live in martinez so ill take it there. Thanks for the input guys!

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, sir. The 5.0-liter V10 from the E60 M5s. Back in the day, Dinan approached him about the stroker program since RPM has a crazy CNC machine and the owner has years of experience with priceless (and weird) motors like the Dusenburgs, Packards, W-block Chevys, Ferraris etc. that could not be messed up because they were virtually irreplaceable. Since the S85s aren't cheap, as with most of the big-buck motors, he had to get it right the first time. John, the owner, figured out the intricacies of the motor and what needed to be done to increase the stroke and then wrote the CNC program, made a few and then Dinan moved it back in-house. He even does this cool thing with Subaru heads that opens the 2.0 heads, which I guess don't have oiling problems, up to the size of the 2.5 head without killing the compression. He does a lot of the machine work for speed shops all over the Bay Area and the Subaru head program he created, which I don't pretend to be an expert on, is pretty cool.
If you're ever down there at RPM, ask John about some of the interesting motors he's machined or repaired, it'll blow your mind...and the funny thing is, he's not boastful or anything, just an ol' gearhead.
It might seem like I'm blowing these guys up a ton, but I'm not. I just know how important quality machine work is and I've never had a problems with RPM. To be fair though, I've also heard good things about Morgans.

I did not know that. I'll have to go down there and talk to them. Good to know there's a machine shop that can work on my S85.

--------------------

3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I did not know that. I'll have to go down there and talk to them. Good to know there's a machine shop that can work on my S85.
[worship] I WISH I owned an S85! Ha ha.
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[worship] I WISH I owned an S85! Ha ha.
I dunno man, maintenance on this car hurts my wallet and I do all my own work. I did a oil change, fuel filter and spark plugs and that was about $444
[Eek!]

--------------------

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Didn't they use to be on East St in Concord? Why they move? That location was like 3 miles from my house

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
Didn't they use to be on East St in Concord? Why they move? That location was like 3 miles from my house

The one that was by Safeway an Bart.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:

They used to be over there when Don used to own it, I believe it was called Dons Diesel Machine (DDM). Don is John's step dad and when Don sold the building, John moved all of the machining equipment to Martinez. Now Don is running DDM out of the same building as RPM...and to make it even funnier, Jim, who is John's dad, runs Hot Rod Fabrication out of the back of the same building since it's so big. So you've got two machine shops and a hot rod/fabrication shop under one building and to be honest, they all do impeccable work. Sorry for the confusion, it's kind of a funny story.
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

^^^those guy's did work on set of trick flow heads I had an the surface was so ruff after the worked on them an finger nail would hang up on the low spots. Then when the built a engine for my dad's big rig the dropped the long block on the crank when there were transporting to my dad shop because they didn't tie the engine down in back of there truck.^^^
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

quote:
^^^those guy's did work on set of trick flow heads I had an the surface was so ruff after the worked on them an finger nail would hang up on the low spots. Then when the built a engine for my dad's big rig the dropped the long block on the crank when there were transporting to my dad shop because they didn't tie the engine down in back of there truck.^^^

Who?

--------------------

3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

quote:

I don't know how long ago it was or who did it, all I know is the work I've personally paid for and witnessed other people get from Rankin Performance Machine in Martinez from John Rankin, not DDM in Concord, has been nothing short of perfection.

[ 2014-09-10, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: 3cRider ]

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
quote:

Who?
When they were in concord an called ddm
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
quote:

I don't know how long ago it was or who did it, all I know is the work I've personally paid for and witnessed other people get from Rankin Performance Machine in Martinez from John Rankin, not DDM in Concord, has been nothing short of perfection.
The diesel engine was in the 1990's an the heads were in 2005 when they were in concord.
vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

I stopped by and talked to Don for a bit on thursday. Super helpful guy and very informative. Getting parts ordered now so he can do the work for me. Cant wait to get the heads to 100%

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com