Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Dirt bike/ ATV riders - questions for you! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dirt bike/ ATV riders - questions for you!
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking into getting a set of dirt bikes or atv/quads for the kids and myself but wondering what your guys' recommendations are. Not sure if I'd be better off with 50cc dirty bikes w/ training wheels for the kids or if quads would be the way to go. Any suggestions/recommendations on either?

Also, how do the green/red stickers work? Let's say I want to go out to Hollister or Carnegie...I assume all the bikes/quads will need a green or red sticker, right? How do you register for them and are there certain years/brands/models that will not be able to obtain a green or red sticker?

Thanks [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How young are your kids? Height? Since you mentioned 50cc, I'm going to assume they are pretty young lol. I would recommend dirt bikes with training wheels to start off with, I think they would have more fun on a dirt bike compared to an atv. Green sticker bikes are generally 4 stroke and can be ridden year round and majority red sticker bikes are 2 stroke and are limited to a certain time of year due to pollution control I believe, which I'm not sure of the exact time frame but you can google it. I personally like riding in hollister, all one way trails, fire trails, better maintained.

[ 2014-08-29, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: 92_5.0 ]

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My son is going to be 4 and my daughter is 7. I was thinking of getting them quads because it would probably be easier for them to ride around on being that they have 4 wheels, but I guess training wheels would work the same way. I've never seen dirt bike training wheels before so I'm just a little concerned whether they'd be too restrictive when riding on rough terrain, in comparison to riding a quad which has 4 "big" wheels.

Of course, dad will need something to ride with them on, so what're your guys' recommendations for adults [Big Grin] I used to ride motorcycles so it's nothing new to me, but I've never ridden dirt bikes. I want something I can take to Hollister, Carnegie, and even Pismo.

Thanks [burnout]

--------------------

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just picked up a 50cc 2stroke yes 2 stroke 50 Husqvarna for my little guy for his 6 birthday in a couple weeks. it should be a great learner bike being its an automatic just twist the throttle. I'm building some training wheels and must govern the throttle for him! cuz even with me 240lbs when it hits the power band it rips! If you can find a husqvarna or ktm buy it!
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The green and red stickers bike ordeal is dumb.
No disrespect toward you '92 5.0, but not all 4 strokes are green stickers. The difference between red and green stickers are not determined by if its two stroke or 4 stroke. It also depends on the year of the bike. Any year model bikes '02 and older, meaning '02, '01, '00, etc, are considered green sticker and can be ridden year around with no restrictions. Any year models '03 and newer, meaning '03, '04, '05, etc, are considered red stickers. Whether its two stroke or 4 stroke. When you have a red sticker bike you can not ride from May 1st through September 30th. It is best to buy a green sticker. Then, you can ride year around with no restrictions.

Now bikes:

**If you go 4 stroke I suggest getting a 450, unless you have never ridden. Then maybe a 250f, but even then once you get use to it you will want to step up. So, if you feel like you can handle a 450 right off the back.... THEN 450 I WOULD GO!
If you go 2 stroke. A 250 is perfect for you. I weigh 280 and My bike has no problems pulling me through the ruts and turns.

**if your kids have never ridden I suggest getting them a 50 to 80 size bikes. Just makes sure their feet can touch the ground and they will have a blast.

I have been riding since I was 10 tears old. So, I know my way around a bike. Dirt bikes are fun, but also dangerous. Be careful and catch some hang time buddy.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM and ill send you my number.

Have fun,

Charles [patriot]

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah, I forgot they go by year to determine the sticker color. Thanks for the correction. And also forgot they do make a 2 stroke 50cc [patriot] I agree with charles, a 250f or a 450 would be perfect for you.
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quads are easier hands down, BUT they can EASILY tip and they are really heavy. My kids had both and loved the quads but I started them both out on the pw 50 with mid mount training wheels....rear mounts are way cheaper but are very dangerous!
brandon151
¯
Member # 12990

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for brandon151  Ford pictures for brandon151    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive ridden dirtbikes pretty much since i could ride a bike without training wheels. for your kids i would go with pw50's.. like said earlier quads can flip. for yourself 4 strokes are the best performing thing out there but maitenence is expensive. a 450 isnt going to need as much maitenence as a 250 but its still a lot. a two stroke is much more weekend rider friendly as in there is almost no maitenence, and they are way cheaper to buy.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm looking into PW50's for the kids and from my research, most likely a 125 2-stroke. I was leaning towards a 250 2-stroke but read that they're a bit "twitchy" and may have too much power for what I'm looking to do [Confused] I don't plan to race or anything crazy, probably just some trails and stuff like that.

Also, I thought I wanted a 4-sroke to eliminate the need to mix fuel/oil, but reading more on them I think I want to avoid the expensive maintenance attached to them.

What are your guys' suggestions on 2-stroke models? Not looking to spend too much as I probably won't be out riding too often...Thanks!

--------------------

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not saying 2strokes are better but a 2 stroke is more reliable, simpler, lighter, cheaper an easier to rebuild than a 4 stroke. 4 strokes with their powerband usually have the advantage on a track and on hill climbs in most situations.
If you dont have expierience, It takes some getting used to a 2 stroke power band, but they are a lot of fun. A lighter guy will have a tough time keeping the front wheel down on a 250 2 stroke.
As for the kids, a pw50 is a great choice, that was my first dirtbike when I was 5yrs old. When I turned 6 I got a 2stroke kx80 that my feet couldn't touch the ground my dad had to hold the bike as I let out the cluth lol.

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are at least 175 -180lb get a 250 you will be fine once you are fimiliar with the bike and will be glad you didn't go with a 125 which is about same size but is lacking power.
A hot 2stroke 80 could beat a 125

for 2stroke models my first reccomended choice would be Honda cr250 years '00-'05. I think honda is the most reliable in general. Next best choices would be Kawasaki and Yamaha in the same year range mentioned. nothing wrong with the older models if its been well maintained

as for training wheels for the kids I wouldn't recommend them.

and for quads ive seen too many flip/roll over onto the rider to ever want one

[ 2014-08-29, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Saleen 00-0768 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HUSQVARNA OR KTM HANDS DOWN!!! Sure they cost a little more but are built with far better parts! Like i said earlier hunt down a Husqvarna CR50J for junior, Factory tuned pipe/exhaust front disc with braided brake line and marzochi forks the engineering and suspension on this bike is fucking amazing
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
HUSQVARNA OR KTM HANDS DOWN!!! Sure they cost a little more but are built with far better parts! Like i said earlier hunt down a Husqvarna CR50J for junior, Factory tuned pipe/exhaust front disc with braided brake line and marzochi forks the engineering and suspension on this bike is fucking amazing

lol, not bashing either brand because they both make quality bikes but why aren't the top professional supercross riders of the world using them? Tell me how many professionals do you see ride for Husqvarna? [Confused] not to mention all the horror stories of the cracking frames on KTMs lol [Eek!]

[ 2014-08-29, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Saleen 00-0768 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^I agree with you! I didn't even know husqvarna even produced dirt bikes.

Lol I heard a lot of stories about KTM. If I was you i would stick with the top brands like Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda. I own a 2002 RM 250 2 stroke and she rips. My friends all own yamahas. It all depends what you like and what kind of deal you can get. For a 2 stroke I wouldn't pay anymore then 1400. And for 1400 the bike better be clean.

**NOTE DON'T GET CAUGHT UP in stupid CL add about how his bike only has 5 hours of ride time on new top end blah blah. 5 hours of ride time on a dirt bike is a long time. So don't let that determine if you buy a bike or not. Just assume when you buy your bike that you need a new piston. Putting a new piston in is super easy and cheap!!

Good luck,

Charles [patriot]

PS check this out. I don't know what made this guy think that the 3ft kicker would help him clear the gap. DON'T BE THIS GUY! HAHAHA It's a dangerous sport stay within your limits and before you know you will be pulling whips over a triple.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=bmHeqCm0RsE

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pw50 for the boy
Ttr 90 for the girl
Check bikefinds.com

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Huskys are nice...I have a 13 te310r. These pre KTM huskys need a little love to work right, but when tuned are badass bikes. No you don't see them on the MX track, well the ktm ones now, but the older ones are top enduro bikes.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Anyone know or have a PW50 for sale?! Just picked up a white/purple one for my daughter yesterday and need to get my son one ASAP (gotta be fair [Big Grin] ). Thanks!!

--------------------

brandon151
¯
Member # 12990

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for brandon151  Ford pictures for brandon151    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do not, i repeat do not buy a ktm, complete piles of crap for old 2 stroke models. the brand new ones are good but i doubt youd want to pay 7k for one. two stroke wise if youre looking for power stick with any yamaha ever made... theres a reason why they are the only jap brand still making two strokes. my hands down next pick would be suzuki or kawasaki, i have a kx125 myself and its always been good. hondas on the other hand are the odd man out of the group... aluminum lesser of a frame (steel on the others) and way way under powered compared to the others. reliability youre not going to have to worry about much on a two stroke, and if you do a simple top end rebuild is 3-400 if you have someone do it for you, and clutches are even less... yamahas are everywhere for two strokes. the other brands will be a little bit harder to find.
brandon151
¯
Member # 12990

for the kids theres a few other small bikes you could get too. kawasaki makes a kdx50 and honda makes a crf50, best of luck!
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

quote:
Originally posted by brandon151:
do not, i repeat do not buy a ktm, complete piles of crap for old 2 stroke models. the brand new ones are good but i doubt youd want to pay 7k for one. two stroke wise if youre looking for power stick with any yamaha ever made... theres a reason why they are the only jap brand still making two strokes. my hands down next pick would be suzuki or kawasaki, i have a kx125 myself and its always been good. hondas on the other hand are the odd man out of the group... aluminum lesser of a frame (steel on the others) and way way under powered compared to the others. reliability youre not going to have to worry about much on a two stroke, and if you do a simple top end rebuild is 3-400 if you have someone do it for you, and clutches are even less... yamahas are everywhere for two strokes. the other brands will be a little bit harder to find.

[Frown] Honda is the odd man out? the best supercross rider of all time rode a 2 stroke Honda.

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by brandon151:
for the kids theres a few other small bikes you could get too. kawasaki makes a kdx50 and honda makes a crf50, best of luck!

I need to get them single speed 50's. I believe the Kawasaki and honda models are all 3 speeds, though no clutch.

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2 stroke Suzuki rm 250 I may want to sell she rips never had any issues with it

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
I have a 2 stroke Suzuki rm 250 I may want to sell she rips never had any issues with it

What year and how much? I was leaning towards a 125 2-stroke but I wouldn't mind the extra power [Big Grin]

--------------------

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:

What year and how much? I was leaning towards a 125 2-stroke but I wouldn't mind the extra power [Big Grin]
Don't buy a 125 2 stroke. 125 is more for light weight kids!! 250 is way better. More then enough power to pull you through ruts and turns!!

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!

Charles [patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not a big dirt bike fan.. too hard on the joints if you ride hard. This is my 2005 450r Honda with every bolt on u can think of lol. Hauls ass and is a rocket on trails
 -

and I found a deep mud hole.. had to get winched out lmao

-

My 7yr old son has a can-am90 and he loves it, kinda scary as a parent though.

[ 2014-09-02, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com