Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » DMV Back Fees?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: DMV Back Fees?
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone know a way to get backed registration fees reduced?
Or if you work there and can remove them for a lil $$. [Wink]

Gonna go register a car and dont wanna pay all the fees unless I have to. Thought id check first.

Thanks

Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
tooslowfiveo
¯
Member # 11511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tooslowfiveo  Ford pictures for tooslowfiveo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not super familiar with the details, but I believe that if you put a lien on the car it can cut down on the back fees
Posts: 162 | From: Dublin, CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take it to get it done and when they tell you the amount be like " oh I didn't know that, they guy I bought it from didn't tell me anything" usually works for me but not in those exact words though haha

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by tooslowfiveo:
Not super familiar with the details, but I believe that if you put a lien on the car it can cut down on the back fees

I have had a few lien cars lately and it didn't change the back fees and I am the one that put the lien on the cars.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wht86drop:
Take it to get it done and when they tell you the amount be like " oh I didn't know that, they guy I bought it from didn't tell me anything" usually works for me but not in those exact words though haha

That use to work a few years ago, but I haven't any luck with that recently, it really seems hard to get that reduced but I do think there is a max limit of what that they can charge you, most I ever paid is like $800 and that was on something that was out 7+ years.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as you can prove the car wasn't on the road, you'll be fine. my 67 mustang had rougly 800 in fees and all of them were removed since the previous owner could prove the car was in a storage.

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well there is no way i can prove it was in storage. Also tried saying the guy lied about the back fees.

Anyone work there that wants to make some $$? Pm me.
Probably gonna pay it next week.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ask for statement of facts paperwork. Fill it out an if the field rep likes your story you can get the fine reduced. Just did a car at the beginning of the year that had not been registered since 2005.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

quote:
Originally posted by hurting feelings:
Ask for statement of facts paperwork. Fill it out an if the field rep likes your story you can get the fine reduced. Just did a car at the beginning of the year that had not been registered since 2005.

I did that. And even had the last owner fill one out that it has been broken down on their property for the last few years. They said they could not reduce them.
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ItzStock:
quote:
Originally posted by hurting feelings:

I did that. And even had the last owner fill one out that it has been broken down on their property for the last few years. They said they could not reduce them.
Go to a different office
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If all else fails , license it in another state. Use another state for a year or two if no smog needed, then register it back in Cali if that's were your from , all the old fees should be squashed.

[ 2014-06-25, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: rollininmy50 ]

Kb69fastback
¯
Member # 13054

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kb69fastback  Ford pictures for Kb69fastback    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lien is the only way but you have to back date the lien. So if the registration is out 5 years then back date the lien 5 years ago

Then you do a statement of facts saying the car was not driven on any highways etc...

I do these liens all the time.

Call Dave at ASAP liens in Vacaville. No matter where you're located, he will help you out

Posts: 90 | From: Roseville ca | Registered: Jul 2013  |  :
in4thewin24
¯
Member # 13648

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for in4thewin24  Ford pictures for in4thewin24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have personally done this 2 within the last year. I went into DMV with a motorcycle I bought for my wife that hadn't been registered since 02 and my motorcycle. I told them I had purchased them without knowing the back fees and that I couldn't pay all the fees to get it registered. The DMV manager then said "pay the last 2 years." I filled out the form and walked out registered. I will be doing it again on a 78 Bronco that is back registered since 07. Will post results.

saved $400 and $150

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com