Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » input needed on 2005 body style f150

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: input needed on 2005 body style f150
wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilber650  Ford pictures for wilber650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who here owns one?
I'm currently in market for one a fx4 4door
Is there any major maintenance at high miles?
Reliable?
How is the 4x4 system not looking to do any super off roading but I want something good

They seem to be hard to find and ones I found are going 18k plus

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My dad has and 04 with 38k miles only problem he's had was his charging system started acting up but had it fixed. Don't really know what caused it but other than that they are reliable and cool. Crewcab Ftw though

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They're extremely reliable. the 5.4 in those things is practically bulletproof. Picture it as a better designed 2v 4.6.

earlier years still have the spark plug problems though ( 07-08 were the only years without it ) but on the plus side, these trucks have an extremely strong aftermarket support and react well to hand held tuners.

Best of luck

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :
wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilber650  Ford pictures for wilber650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard about them bein pretty good with tuners. I found one with 130k for 14k which truck looks really taken care of just wish I could find out with low 100k but I know for year is hard lol

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a 2005 crew cab FX4 that I bought brand new and sold at 68k miles. Never had any issues and completely loved that truck. 14mpg avg fuel economy with aftermarket 33" tires for regular mixed street and highway driving. The only issue with those trucks that I'm aware of is a crappy spark plug/ head design. The plugs are prown to seizing in the head and become difficult to remove when trying to replace them. (Ford had a TSB on a procedure to remove spark plugs). But as long as your not trying to change the plugs, they are great trucks.
Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My dad and me both used a 05 5.4 3v through out the years.... He got it brand new, he just donated it to the giants organization. 350,000 miles..... Original plugs, rear end fluid, transmission fluid. We only changed the oil, brakes, batteries. Between him driving over the hopland grade every day and me doing 300 foot power stands it saw a lot of hard miles. The giants organazition drove it onto the trailer. Awesome truck.

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a black 07 FX4 SuperCab 4x4
97.5K miles, 5.4 with Gryphon tuner
Bought truck in 9/08 with 20K miles
Replaced plugs at 90K, and front passenger bearing/hub assembly around 85K
The front bearing/hub assembly is a common problem with these trucks (about $250 but easy to change)
It has been a FANTASTIC truck with no other issues to date.
My stepson recently bought an 07 ExtraCab V6/5 speed and has been extremely happy with it as well.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Went to look at one today and this thing was making a really loud noise out of one head like a lifter read up and found they tend to fail on some cam phaser..
Still looking tho guy kept trying to tell me it was a normal sound when thing dam near sounded like a knock

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89bluenotch:
My dad and me both used a 05 5.4 3v through out the years.... He got it brand new, he just donated it to the giants organization. 350,000 miles..... Original plugs, rear end fluid, transmission fluid. We only changed the oil, brakes, batteries. Between him driving over the hopland grade every day and me doing 300 foot power stands it saw a lot of hard miles. The giants organazition drove it onto the trailer. Awesome truck.

WTF? You guys don't have that truck anymore??? Oh and you aren't joking about the 300ft power brake, it might have been closer to 500ft that one night lol

[ 2014-06-06, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Greasy ]

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Went to look at one today and this thing was making a really loud noise out of one head like a lifter read up and found they tend to fail on some cam phaser..
Still looking tho guy kept trying to tell me it was a normal sound when thing dam near sounded like a knock

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
quote:
Originally posted by 89bluenotch:

WTF? You guys don't have that truck anymore??? Oh and you aren't joking about the 300ft power brake, it might have been closer to 500ft that one night lol

Haha yeah it was like two blocks long! Fucker got down. Nah pops got rid of it. Got a brand new one now same exact truck but white.

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

-

Finally found one and I am in love!

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com