Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Opinions on my 66's wheel color and stripes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Opinions on my 66's wheel color and stripes
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know a couple people have done this but wanted to get your guys' opinion. I'm getting a set of chrome Styled Steel Wheels with raised white letter tires. The rims currently have the standard black/charcoal inserts, but I wanted to see what you guys think about painting the black inserts to match the red body color. I definitely think it give the car more attitude and stands out from the rest, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet.

I also added white and black rocker stripes to see if they'd flow with the red wheel combo. I'm typically against rocker stripes with the chrome rocker molding, but for some reason, the white stripes with molding doesn't look bad to me.

Opinions please...

(Please excuse the VERY rough photoshopping [Razz] )

How the car will look with color-matched wheels

-

Black inserts no stripes

-

Color-matched wheels and white stripes

-

Black inserts with white stripes

-

Color-matched wheels and black stripes

-

Black inserts with black stripes

-

[ 2014-05-18, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse  Ford pictures for crazyhorse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wheels look good painted. Car looks way better without the stripes, the 65-66s I've seen have the stripes without the chrome moulding.

[ 2014-05-18, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: crazyhorse ]

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would opt for leaving the wheels alone and no stripe. Typically, the rocker stripe would be lower where the molding is on your car. I think it looks overdone with both, however, the white looks better than the black.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
I would opt for leaving the wheels alone and no stripe. Typically, the rocker stripe would be lower where the molding is on your car. I think it looks overdone with both, however, the white looks better than the black.

The stripe is in the right spot, it's just GT's don't have the rocker molding. But I agree, one or the other, not both.

I think the black stripe with black wheels would look better than the red wheels.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Correct, this is typically the "correct" height if the stripes. They just look high because the molding is there as well.

I'll do a photoshop of the black wheels with black stripe and see how it looks.

Thanks guys!

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Added pics above to show options with the standard black insert wheels...

[ 2014-05-18, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your taste will change OR let's face it your gonna sell it! Lol. No stripes and stick with the std wheels. If you decide to go further with the car and swap wheels they'll have better resale value.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no stripes
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Correct, this is typically the "correct" height if the stripes. They just look high because the molding is there as well.

I'll do a photoshop of the black wheels with black stripe and see how it looks.

Thanks guys!

Yeah... I was just going off of memory. My mistake. The rocker and stripe combo just looks too busy. The "stacked" combination makes the stripe look higher than it ought to be. The black has that visual effect more than the white.

[ 2014-05-19, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: iceman302 ]

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Black inserts with no stripes IMO
Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ISP89LX:
Black inserts with no stripes IMO

+1
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Just came back from LA and brought some wheels home with me [Big Grin] I threw them on and am pleased with how they look. Still contemplating on doing the inserts red, but for now I'll leave it alone. Once again, the little guy wanted to get in the pics with "his car" so here it goes...

-

-

-

[ 2014-05-25, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Black no stripes looks good

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:
Black no stripes looks good

Yup, that's what I have and I think that's how it'll stay. Not going to mess with this car much anymore,,,

Gotta focus on getting my ass back on the race track [Embarrassed]

--------------------

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, that looks GREAT right there.

Your son has a nice car. [burnout]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com