Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Best/cheapest way to ship wheels?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Best/cheapest way to ship wheels?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone know what the best way is to ship wheels (rims w/ tires)? My cousin needs to ship me some wheels from LA and need to figure out the cheapest way. If you have any info please let me know. Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've seen wheels come through UPS and the way you wrap them is key. The best way is to use a cut out of the wheel in card board on front and back then wrap the whole wheel in that pallet wrap. I've seen wheels/rims come through that the labels have ripped off and the wheels just sit in the hub. And put labels on each one. Wheel shops usually have old supplies and boxes for rims they don't need.

--------------------
No half steppin

swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedensky  Ford pictures for swedensky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just shipped my SVTPP wheels to Hemet (SoCal) for $150...total weight was almost 280 lbs...

Everyone told me put cardboard and foam on both sides and them tape/shrink wrap and send them individually...I had someone put them stacked on a pallet and ship them through a shipping business..saved me $180

--------------------
I work at Ford!! > Best deals on ALL cars!
click here

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by swedensky:
I just shipped my SVTPP wheels to Hemet (SoCal) for $150...total weight was almost 280 lbs...

Everyone told me put cardboard and foam on both sides and them tape/shrink wrap and send them individually...I had someone put them stacked on a pallet and ship them through a shipping business..saved me $180

Did you ship them through work using a business account to get that price? I'd assume shipping a pallet would typically cost more if I don't have a corporate account.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

eldog68
¯
Member # 12928

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eldog68  Ford pictures for eldog68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wrap them individually like described and take them directly to a UPS facility. you will get a cheaper rate.i shipped 4 wheels like this from sacramento to st luis, I think it was, cost was $300. but just up from la should be a lot less.
Posts: 263 | From: el Dorado hills | Registered: May 2013  |  :
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how soon do you need them. i will be driving to my moms house in los angeles mid june. im taking my truck and coming back with an empty bed.
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedensky  Ford pictures for swedensky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nope, I actually went to a car parts distributor and had them ship them out for me.

--------------------
I work at Ford!! > Best deals on ALL cars!
click here

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com