Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Info on a 351 budget build

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Info on a 351 budget build
king_jays_50
¯
Member # 9513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for king_jays_50  Ford pictures for king_jays_50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In the near future I want to put together a 351w, I just want to know some of the best routes to go on building one that won't break the bank, I know there are a few tips and tricks to gain a little extra hp but don't know to much and info is appreciated thanks
Posts: 711 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do what I did $300 long block from 94 truck.
Conversion pan
Ac /steering braket
Flywheel
Headers
Intake to reuse my performer topend of 5.0
Done deal and under $1000

May not be very fast....but that is where the expenses add up.

I'm just going to add my s trim down the road and some decent heads....should get me to 400+ hp and have better torque the my 5.0

[ 2014-05-15, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Bent70 ]

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here you go brother. Everything you need to know.

NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!! [Big Grin]

http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/302-351w-swap.html

Charles [patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i will never build a small block stroker over any 351 build unless its a aftermarket block, and the 351 still wins. if it comes close,,,, stroke the 351.
king_jays_50
¯
Member # 9513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for king_jays_50  Ford pictures for king_jays_50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:

Charles [patriot]

That was a good read, thanks that had some really good info
king_jays_50
¯
Member # 9513

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
i will never build a small block stroker over any 351 build unless its a aftermarket block, and the 351 still wins. if it comes close,,,, stroke the 351.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, which is why I want to start building the 351
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by king_jays_50:
quote:

Charles [patriot]

It is! I came across that a week ago and made start to think about building a 351W. Keep my motor I have now, stock 302, for smog and build a 351 for FUN AND TRACK TIME [Big Grin]

I'm glad I could help,

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:

OOOOO!! My Dream Motor!!! STROKED 351!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

king_jays_50
¯
Member # 9513

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by king_jays_50:
quote:

Charles [patriot]

It is! I came across that a week ago and made start to think about building a 351W. Keep my motor I have now, stock 302, for smog and build a 351 for FUN AND TRACK TIME [Big Grin]

I'm glad I could help,

Charles [patriot]

That's exactly what I wanna do
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the above attached articular is only wrong in one thing , in your benefit your flywheel has the same mounting holes, the weight just may be different from your current motor, but any performance motor should be balanced an will easily correct that, so u can keep your possibly fancy flywheel.
king_jays_50
¯
Member # 9513

quote:
the above attached articular is only wrong in one thing , in your benefit your flywheel has the same mounting holes, the weight just may be different from your current motor, but any performance motor should be balanced an will easily correct that, so u can keep your possibly fancy flywheel.

So jus get the flywheel balanced and it'll work??
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

your ori one if its special i would or could. if u dont got a nice special one i personally would get one with the upgrade. even a stock one u could have balanced if u absolute
must. just saying they stated that a 351 has a different mounting bolt pattern and it does not, a 225 to 260, 289,302 ,351 Windsor all can share the same flywheel as long as the balanced is check an adjusted.

king_jays_50
¯
Member # 9513

Got it, thanks for the info, I'm trying to gather as much knowledge as I can before I start building 1
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What year are putting it into? I just put a 351 into my 95 Cobra and kept the A/C and it was tight getting that to work, the compressor was hitting the battery tray, had to notch the tray to get it to work, also be careful with factory 351 roller they have had a few issues.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

well shoot in a fox the ps hit the battery tray as well, very lil trimming is needed
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
What year are putting it into? I just put a 351 into my 95 Cobra and kept the A/C and it was tight getting that to work, the compressor was hitting the battery tray, had to notch the tray to get it to work, also be careful with factory 351 roller they have had a few issues.

What kinda issues?? I have a 90's lightning 351w block.. anything I should look out for or specific that I should upgrade.. its been rebuilt and has 0 miles..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
king_jays_50
¯
Member # 9513

It's going to be put in a 93 fox
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
quote:

What kinda issues?? I have a 90's lightning 351w block.. anything I should look out for or specific that I should upgrade.. its been rebuilt and has 0 miles..
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1352369-must-read-psa-windsor-roller-block-guys.html

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

quote:
well shoot in a fox the ps hit the battery tray as well, very lil trimming is needed

I wish it was a little trim on my 95 with A/C, I had to basically cut out the part that holds the battery down

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:
quote:
quote:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1352369-must-read-psa-windsor-roller-block-guys.html
Dang!!! That's weird!!!

[patriot]

--------------------

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

0o shit.. good info to know! I had no idea.. ima have to check it out on mine before putting it all together.. thanks for info Lee!! [patriot]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

just read the above articular, this has happend to my personal motor as well, my Pryor machine shop aslo missed it and then told me as well it would be ok, i refused that block as i paid for them to check for cracks, they never caught it, then proceeded to charge me for a fully prepped cracked block, i brought them another and they finished that one instead, now out of at least ten or more 94 roller 351 blocks ive done, ive seen only mine have this crack. it could be as simple as the factory causing it when drilling and tapping the block for the spider hold down, it wasn't caused by stress or over powered for sure, but when your pushing any block to its limits cracks well grow. im pushing my new 94 block so wish me luck. all other motors ive done are still running besides the 9 second one because of young owner issues selling it or parting it out.
king_jays_50
¯
Member # 9513

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

0o shit.. good info to know! I had no idea.. ima have to check it out on mine before putting it all together.. thanks for info Lee!! [patriot]
Very good read thanks lee, that's going to be the first thing I check when I get the block

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com