Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anyone rub with a 295 tire out back?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone rub with a 295 tire out back?
AP16
¯
Member # 12890

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for AP16  Ford pictures for AP16    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like title states, anyone rubbing? it only appears to be on the rear passenger side. Car is lowered with caster camber plates & has been aligned. It is rubbing/bottoming out on the inner tread of the tire. I have even purchased a 1/4 inch wheel spacer to see if that will work & no success.

all help is appreciated.

ps: my fenders are rolled

Broke4.6
¯
Member # 9085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broke4.6  Ford pictures for Broke4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 315s and don't even rub at all , even when my daughter is in the back and I have sportlines! Fenders are not rolled either, you should be good with a 295

--------------------
01 GT -lazer red- 32v swap

AP16
¯
Member # 12890

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP16  Ford pictures for AP16    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have H&R supersports with one iso out back. I never have anybody in my back seats and Im rubbing (pretty bad too)
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well if the inner is rubbing then it might just be the offset on the wheels ur running..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe 1/4 spacer plus 2 washers per stud ? I dont know if it will be safe though.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 295s with 5/16 spacer on my 98 cobra with no rubbing

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
AP16
¯
Member # 12890

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP16  Ford pictures for AP16    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there 18X10 saleens with kdws. i wouldn't think that would be an issue but you may be right. Has anyone heard of flipping your quad shocks to resolve the issue?
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BluS281:
there 18X10 saleens with kdws. i wouldn't think that would be an issue but you may be right. Has anyone heard of flipping your quad shocks to resolve the issue?

if it's rubbing on the quad shocks then just flip them. or upgrade your LCA and UCA and remove the quads completely.
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 315 were rubbing but I had bad upper control arm bushings fixed the problem.I'm on sportlines with no iso
17x10.5 315 and no rubbing even with 4 people in the car I did roll my rear fenders since the fender would cut into my tire while going up a drive way

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BluS281:

Yes u can flip them.. but just make sure that it IS the quads where its rubbing..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NOPE! LOL\
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm surprised that nobody has asked yet, but Fox or Sn95? If it is rubbing on the inner, get out a little persuasion and let out your frustration. [Big Grin] But really, I would much rather clearance the car then run a wheel spacer, and whoever made the comment about washers, you concern me...

I had the same issue on my fox with 274/40/17's on 17x9's 24mm offset and fox length axles. My case is a little different though seeing as I have a PHB and T/A which allow much more suspension movement then the horrid four link that Ford cursed these cars with. Get some GOOD lower control arms and ditch those band-aid quad shocks for good! [Wink] The fact that you are rubbing on one side and not the other could indicate a bad bushing, a broken/worn out torque box or Fords wonderful production tolerances (or even a combo of all of them, in which case STOP DRIVING IT).

[ 2014-05-12, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Stanced Stang ]

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

AP16
¯
Member # 12890

quote:
Originally posted by Stanced Stang:
I'm surprised that nobody has asked yet, but Fox or Sn95? If it is rubbing on the inner, get out a little persuasion and let out your frustration. [Big Grin] But really, I would much rather clearance the car then run a wheel spacer, and whoever made the comment about washers, you concern me...

I had the same issue on my fox with 274/40/17's on 17x9's 24mm offset and fox length axles. My case is a little different though seeing as I have a PHB and T/A which allow much more suspension movement then the horrid four link that Ford cursed these cars with. Get some GOOD lower control arms and ditch those band-aid quad shocks for good! [Wink] The fact that you are rubbing on one side and not the other could indicate a bad bushing, a broken/worn out torque box or Fords wonderful production tolerances (or even a combo of all of them, in which case STOP DRIVING IT).

SN-95. I have since sold my wheels i had on that tire setup so i am running stock tires 265/35/18 for the mean time and have no issue at all (no rubbing or chewed up tire). Been about a week so far so maybe too early to judge. i will remove the tire this weekend & further inspect
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

quote:
Originally posted by Stanced Stang:
whoever made the comment about washers, you concern me..

haha costume spacers!! [dance] [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Before removing your quad shocks do a little reaserch on others experiences doing so...

Even with aftermarket uppers and lower control arms, many have experienced bad wheel hop as a result of removing the quad shocks. It's obvious that people have gotten away with removing them but its somthing to consider.

If your going to keep your suspension system a 4 link configuration I would keep the quad shocks if you have the wheel clearance.

[ 2014-05-12, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Saleen 00-0768 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Frank.JD.Perez
¯
Member # 12650

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank.JD.Perez  Ford pictures for Frank.JD.Perez  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
kinda off topic but i rub on a full turn with 275 up front

--------------------
1998 Ford Mustang GT SVO SC Saleen vert (sold)
1998 Ford Mustang GT PI (RIP)
1997 Ford Mustang GT
2000 BMW 323iT
2001 BMW X5

Posts: 603 | From: Hayward/Pleasanton | Registered: Dec 2012  |  :
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Saleen 00-0768:
Before removing your quad shocks do a little reaserch on others experiences doing so...

Even with aftermarket uppers and lower control arms, many have experienced bad wheel hop as a result of removing the quad shocks. It's obvious that people have gotten away with removing them but its somthing to consider.

If your going to keep your suspension system a 4 link configuration I would keep the quad shocks if you have the wheel clearance.

Aftermarket control arms that use urethane or Delrin bushings at both ends just intensify the problem by creating more binding and thus, wheel hop. I used stock uppers and maximum motorsports standard duty adjustable lowers sans quad shocks and wheel hop was non-existant.

--------------------
"It's for pussies."

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cant believe no one said anything about it rubbing only on one side....
your rear end is not centered. shot bushings on either end of the control arms, trq boxes are broken or you just need adjustable uppers and or a panhard bar setup correctly. 295 will not rub with the correct offset wheel, especially if the quarter lip is rolled, you should have plenty of clearance

--------------------
91' Notch

FobraJay
¯
Member # 13344

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FobraJay  Ford pictures for FobraJay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
315's and no rub [Big Grin] [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Mustang
1986 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang Coupe
2001 ZY SlowBra

Posts: 217 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2013  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had 295 x 35 x18 on a 9" wide wheel and it rubbed bad

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
cant believe no one said anything about it rubbing only on one side....
your rear end is not centered. shot bushings on either end of the control arms, trq boxes are broken or you just need adjustable uppers and or a panhard bar setup correctly. 295 will not rub with the correct offset wheel, especially if the quarter lip is rolled, you should have plenty of clearance

Read above, I already covered that. [Wink]

--------------------
"It's for pussies."

32VSTANG
¯
Member # 9803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 32VSTANG  Ford pictures for 32VSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe Ur pinion angle is out of spec. As well as some bushings can be fucked up. Same issue on one of my foxbodys I had b4
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
295 wide tires is nothing to our rear wheel wells especially if its an sn95. Throw a spacer on and it should fix it. However, checking your control arms won't hurt.

It also sounds like your running too high of wheel offset. What kind of wheels are these?

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a new edge roush and 295/35r18 came stock on my car with 10.5 wide rears and its never rubbed. I also have KDWs.

Just FYI, BFGoodrich tires run big. my 295s in comparison are probably close to a 305, and can be compared to a 315 Nitto/toyo tire.

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com