Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 27151 CVC Modification Of Exhaust Systems (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 27151 CVC Modification Of Exhaust Systems
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SO i just got a ticket for my exhaust.. it says 27151 modified exhaust.. But the cop kept pointing at my intake & procharger piping..
Ive been researching online and a lot of people say they only check to see if the sound level is under 95dbs.. But i dont want to take it, and then started getting messed with because of the other stuff..

so do i need to put EVERYTHING stock back in the car and take it to State Ref? Or are they just going to check the exhaust system and noise level?

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just pay the fine bro

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3cRider  Ford pictures for 3cRider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I've heard it's best to pay the fine. With that said, where did this happen? So the rest of us can keep an eye out. Sorry for the bad luck!
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me guess you have an off road pipe?
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TEXAS:

Don't feed the troll.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
quote:

Don't feed the troll.
You must be a Turbo50 supporter
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
quote:

Don't feed the troll.
You must be a Turbo50 supporter
You just need to chill already.
H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where did it happen Fiji?

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats your exhaust setup?

found this so you can check or keep in your car to prove that it isnt, ive had this happen to me in my 70 coupe when i first changed the exhaust, but the cop also was focused on my intake and carb saying it was also illegal.
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Digital-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B001THX3M0

[ 2014-05-06, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: 70stang351w ]

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My exhaust setup is jba headers, offroad H with gutted cats, and slp IRS catback.. my car is pretty loud when I punch it, but I was just cruising.. I was literally down the street from my house in menlo park, and he lit me up as I turned into my driveway.. I asked if if it was optional to open my hood or I HAD to, and he said I have no choice.. plus that asshole messed up my paint by lifting my cowl hood too high.. at first he pulled me over bcz my "3rd brake light was out" but when I told him its a 82 and didnt come equiped with one, then he started talking about modifies exhaust.. n then he tried to say EVERY piece of piping on my procharger intercooler piping needs to have a carb eo # on it [BS flag] I just think he was looking for any opportunity to mess with me just because of the car I was driving..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pics of paint to the police department with the ticket,,,,, dismiss ticket then ask for claim to fix.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
pics of paint to the police department with the ticket,,,,, dismiss ticket then ask for claim to fix.

+1 I would've been heated. Fuck Menlo pd they've pulled me over in my driveway TWICE.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18530 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

+1 I would've been heated. Fuck Menlo pd they've pulled me over in my driveway TWICE.
I dont even feel like driving mine for a few weeks after this, I know ima be next.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, everything needs to be stock or have a carb number if you are going to go to the ref. The just paying the ticket option might be work for a little while but be aware that there is a section in the vehicle code that can make mechanical violations into a moving violation if you don't fix them. Basically if the same cop stops you again in a couple months and you still have not corrected the stuff he said to correct, he can give you a ticket that's a point.

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
24004.  No person shall operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles after notice by a peace officer, as defined in Section 830.1 or subdivision (a) of Section 830.2 of the Penal Code, that the vehicle is in an unsafe condition or is not equipped as required by this code, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle or combination of vehicles to the residence or place of business of the owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle and its equipment have been made to conform with the requirements of this code.

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
SO i just got a ticket for my exhaust.. it says 27151 modified exhaust.. But the cop kept pointing at my intake & procharger piping..
Ive been researching online and a lot of people say they only check to see if the sound level is under 95dbs.. But i dont want to take it, and then started getting messed with because of the other stuff..

so do i need to put EVERYTHING stock back in the car and take it to State Ref? Or are they just going to check the exhaust system and noise level?

You have a correctable violation. Yes, you do run the risk of having another inspection for modified emissions components.

If you were cited for CVC 27156(b) that is not a correctable violation. For that violation, a sticker would be applied in the correction sign off area with further directions to schedule a visit to the state referee.

You can't not refuse an inspection of your vehicle for modified emission components by an officer specifically trained in the identification of modified emission components. This does not constitute a search as it is an "inspection" for modified emission component per the CVC. If you did refuse, your car can be towed, inspected and sent to the state referee anyways.

All it takes is one modified emission component to receive a CVC 27156(b) violation. This could be a simple cold air intake that does have a proper CARB EO# sticker displayed.

CARB EO#'s have to be a permanent mylar sticker or an attached metal tag which is displayed:
1. on the part itself
2. under the hood as reasonably close the to emissions labels as possible
3. on the driver side door pillar
(replacement mylar stickers for legal parts can be usually ordered FREE of charge from the manufacturer!)

People who do a proper engine swap will have a mylar tag from the state referee displayed in one of the above mentioned areas designating what modifications were done and approved by the state referee. This tag is applied by the state referee.

Selling your car does not make the citation disappear in court. You are still responsible for it.

S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S550_Andres  Ford pictures for S550_Andres    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ed650:
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

I dont even feel like driving mine for a few weeks after this, I know ima be next.
LoL you ain't the only one

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a 27151 ticket before. It was such BS. I had a Neon ACR (quit laughing) with a Pacesetter exhaust. It wasn't too loud, but definitely louder than stock. I figured I'd just wait a month or two before doing absolutely nothing to the exhaust and try and have the ticket written off. I took it down to the police station and asked to have an officer write it off. They told me only the issuing officer could write it off (which is BS). So the issuing officer comes down and I start the car up for him. He says it's still too loud. I told him, it's the quietest muffler the shop had. He then called in the "expert in these matters." It was another cop I got a BS exhibition of speed ticket from many years prior (I fought and won that ticket). He asked me to rev it up a couple of times and walked over to secretly converse with the issuing officer. He came back over and said, "Well, it's close but we'll let it pass." He wrote off the ticket and I paid my $10 fine. There was no decibel test and they didn't even bother to look at the muffler. It was all nonsense.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
My exhaust setup is jba headers, offroad H with gutted cats, and slp IRS catback.. my car is pretty loud when I punch it, but I was just cruising.. I was literally down the street from my house in menlo park, and he lit me up as I turned into my driveway.. I asked if if it was optional to open my hood or I HAD to, and he said I have no choice.. plus that asshole messed up my paint by lifting my cowl hood too high.. at first he pulled me over bcz my "3rd brake light was out" but when I told him its a 82 and didnt come equiped with one, then he started talking about modifies exhaust.. n then he tried to say EVERY piece of piping on my procharger intercooler piping needs to have a carb eo # on it [BS flag] I just think he was looking for any opportunity to mess with me just because of the car I was driving..

If he pulled you over for 3rd brake light then the stop could be illegal as according to the law only right an left brake lights are required by law. In fact 3rd brake light is and optional feature which does not have to work. I would challenge the stop and file a complaint.

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Good info fellas! Thanks.. I made an appointment with the chief so I am gonna go talk to him and see if maybe I can wiggle my way outta this somehow.. good thing my gf was with me in the car so I have a witness.. and my neighbors & dad saw the whole thing too so I have even more witnesses..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your car came equipped with a 3rd brake light it must be kept in working order. It sounds like he had several reasons why he stopped you. It might be wiser to pick your battles and just pay the fine for the exhaust if your car is as modded as it sounds.
Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
California Vehicle Code 24603 covers what is required for stoplamps. There is *NO* legal requirement for a third brake light on any year vehicle. You will have to check your State's Vehicle Code for what equipment is required in your State.

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Beastly GT500 TVS:
California Vehicle Code 24603 covers what is required for stoplamps. There is *NO* legal requirement for a third brake light on any year vehicle. You will have to check your State's Vehicle Code for what equipment is required in your State.

Scroll down to subsection(h)under CVC 24603.
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
(h) Any supplemental stoplamp installed after January 1, 1987, shall comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 (49 C.F.R. 571.108). Any vehicle equipped with a stoplamp which complies with the federal motor vehicle safety standards applicable to that make and model vehicle shall conform to that applicable safety standard unless modified to comply with the federal motor vehicle safety standard designated in this subdivision.

"A traffic stop is lawful at its inception if it is based on a reasonable suspicion that any traffic violation has occurred, even if it is ultimately determined that no violation did occur." Brierton v. DMV (2005) 130 Cal.App.4th 499, 510 (exhibition of speed—VC § 23109).

H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
His cars an 82 [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com