Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Salt Water Reef Tanks

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Salt Water Reef Tanks
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any of you guys do salt water fish tanks.

Thanks,

Eric

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do... It's addicting

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by twisted54:
I do... It's addicting

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

My old tank Moray Eel

--------------------

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
VERY NICE!!!
How hard is it to maintain once up and running?

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
VERY NICE!!!
How hard is it to maintain once up and running?

Thanks...
It's easy once it's up and running...it basically takes care of itself after a while dependent on the livestock, organisms etc you have. I basically siphon out 10% a week or two and add distilled water to get water levels back up. I rarely add salt.

--------------------

CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very expensive just like any other hobby. Kesill lights or LED lights, Ecotech pumps that I can set for wave making. Check them out and that's not including everything else. Then there's the fish and how much they cost to just go belly up. I went fresh water with some Perovian Festeas and a pair of Red Tigers.

--------------------
No half steppin

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
Originally posted by CHP2981:
Very expensive just like any other hobby. Kesill lights or LED lights, Ecotech pumps that I can set for wave making. Check them out and that's not including everything else. Then there's the fish and how much they cost to just go belly up. I went fresh water with some Perovian Festeas and a pair of Red Tigers.

I have two kessil a150Ws on my 40 gal... It's an expensive but relaxing hobby.

[ 2014-04-08, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: twisted54 ]

--------------------

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
I do... It's addicting

[IMG]  - [/IMG]
Awesome. I want do do a 50 Gal tank with corrals and clown fish. I am looking at tanks on craigslist but not sure what I should focus on other than protien skimmers and wave making stuff. Can I shoot you a link and you tell me what you think>
Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did reefing for over 10 years starting with a 20, 60, 120, 200, 360, back to a 62gallon and now just keep a 15gallon in my office. mostly SPS dominated reefs.

for those who havent done a reef tank and wanna know how hard it is.....put it this way, the damn thing is more demanding than taking care of a dog in that you have to constantly maintain the parameters or else the livestock will start to die off.getting it to the point where its stable and automated takes a lot of time and money to achieve.

if you think your budget fox is expensive, its typical for a 100gallon reef to start off around $5k assuming you get decent equipment. when u start getting into high end shiet from lightin, filtratration, monitoring systems $10k is easy before even getting into more expensive livestock(fish, coral, inverts, etc).

cars are easy compared to reefs..

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
Originally posted by GOT 50:
quote:
quote:
I do... It's addicting

[IMG]  - [/IMG]
Awesome. I want do do a 50 Gal tank with corrals and clown fish. I am looking at tanks on craigslist but not sure what I should focus on other than protien skimmers and wave making stuff. Can I shoot you a link and you tell me what you think>
All about fish in Concord/Pacheco is a good place to go for advice/parts/livestock. I don't know if you need a wave maker. Good quality live rock and live sand is good. Also don't skimp on the lighting. Make sure you have enough watts per gallon to keep the corals you want healthy. Read up on stuff before you make any purchases. Don't rush anything. It's always best to not overstock your tank or put livestock in before you water parameters are good.

--------------------

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is nice to see a change in postings on CaFord. Do any of you guys watch tanked? It is on Netflix.

Charles [patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
My old tank Moray Eel

He is a big boy. lol

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

Mineralgt
¯
Member # 9909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mineralgt  Ford pictures for Mineralgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
It is nice to see a change in postings on CaFord. Do any of you guys watch tanked? It is on Netflix.

Charles [patriot]

Yeah I'm a big fan of tanked! Some of it is corney but they build some awesome tanks!

--------------------
02 GT Vert

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here is a bad ass 750gallon from oregon. read on another forum that it cost about 30k to build this tank

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ 2014-04-11, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

That's nuts... Gotta pay to play!!

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com