Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need Help with ODBII Smog Test

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Help with ODBII Smog Test
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Catalyst / Evaporative System : “ Not Ready”

Im having issues with my 1998 Land Rover Discovery 1 passing the OBD II smog test. I passed everything but the OBD II Diagnostics.

The tech told me to drive around for a week, which I did and I’m still getting a “Not Ready” status on the Catalyst / Evaporative system. For the last three weeks I’ve been commuting from Union City to Palo Alto. I thought that this commute was a good combination of Hwy/City driving, but I’m still unsuccessful to get the Catalyst / Evaporative in “ready” mode.

Then I decided to drive to Sacramento with the Discovery 1 and when I took it back to the Smog Tech he told me it’s still not ready.

My tags and registrations are due at the end of the month and I need some direction with getting the Catalyst / Evaporative System in “Ready” mode. I understand there is a number of drive cycles but driving hwy/city/traffic/long distance which total of over 600+miles and almost 4 gas tanks would cover the drive cycle.

Any advice or tips to getting the Catalyst / Evaporative System in “Ready” mode.

Thanks!

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1992 Ford F-150 XLT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
defiantly enough driving to cycle it. possibly bad ecu

--------------------
91' Notch

4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Neight should know.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man...I hope its not the ECU's.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can confirm the faulty ecu. Had one with O2, catalyst, evap systems not ready. It was covered under warranty but it cost 2k + labor for a replacement ecu. The tech said that the vehicle needed to go through certain driving cycles and some rare cases it took 1k+ miles to reset.
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
I can confirm the faulty ecu. Had one with O2, catalyst, evap systems not ready. It was covered under warranty but it cost 2k + labor for a replacement ecu. The tech said that the vehicle needed to go through certain driving cycles and some rare cases it took 1k+ miles to reset.

Is there an easy way to see if its a faulty ecu?
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sell that British pos

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
Sell that British pos

I'll sell or trade it once I get this thing smog...

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510.86.notch  Ford pictures for 510.86.notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's always some at pick n pull Oakland.

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
87 thunderbird turbo coupe-sold
86 mustang GT hatch-sold-kinda
86 mustang coupe-sold

Posts: 1062 | From: san leandro | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by siri95:
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:

Is there an easy way to see if its a faulty ecu?
No, not to my knowledge. Your best bet is to search online for the drive cycle and buy/borrow a cheap scanner and see if that fixes it. Other than that I would search the junkyards and CL for a replacement ecu. Row52.com shows that Newark has a 98 Land Rover Discovery.

http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/SALJY1244WA759703

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
By law on a 98 you can have two incomplete monitors and still pass

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

quote:
Originally posted by SacStangDriver:
By law on a 98 you can have two incomplete monitors and still pass

Really?! Do you happen to have the link so I can show the smog tech

[ 2014-03-24, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: siri95 ]

phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had the same problem with a Mazda 626.. solution: filled the gas tank up all the way up. drove 25 miles problem solved. I have the scanner with the smog status if your close by
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also as other guy said. Fill up your gas tank above half. I've noticed evap doesn't complete unless half or over. Is it a star station?

[ 2014-03-24, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: SacStangDriver ]

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

quote:
Originally posted by SacStangDriver:
Also as other guy said. Fill up your gas tank above half. I've noticed evap doesn't complete unless half or over. Is it a star station?

I usually fill the tank to full when I have 1/4 left of gas. I'll try filling it over to a half tank.

Yes it's a star station. It's located in Fremont near clover leaf.

I have a OBDII scanner and it keeps telling me that I have 2 incomplete which are the catalyst and evap.

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Erase and drive again.

--------------------

CobraCoupe
¯
Member # 7233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraCoupe  Ford pictures for CobraCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The tech doesn't want to smog it with 2 unset monitors cause it will have his star score take a hit, even though it will pass the test

--------------------
1965 Mustang convertible
2004 Ford Lightning #0537

siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

I reset the codes three times and I’m still not getting those codes “ready”

I’m stuck in a rock and a hard place. I personally don’t want to spend money on a new ECU when it won’t guarantee for the OBDII to be in “Ready” mode. I’m tempted to go to another Smog Tech, but my gut feeling tells me that I will get the same result…

This maybe a reach but, anyone know a smog station that is willing to take the hit if there are only two “not ready” status on the OBDII test?

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just seemed to go through this with my 97 gmc truck. I fixed the initial problem(random mis-fire), but then had an o2 code, and no monitors run. Drove it for a week, o2 code cleared and all monitors but the o2 monitor ran through the cycle. Passed with flying colors. I asked the tech about the o2 monitor, and he confirmed as long as 3 out of the 5 have run, and there is no check engine light on, they will pass it. Of course this was a non star smog station too.

I would try another non star smog station if your allowed.

[ 2014-03-27, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: cemelevu ]

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want text me and ill send you a pic of the procedures to run the monitors. 650-630-1339 We have All-Data at work.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com