Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » where can i go to get my carb set up tuned?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: where can i go to get my carb set up tuned?
maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
o miles on both tranny and motor but i have ran it a few times
and runs but it could run alot better.

355 10/1 compression, rr, aluminum heads, thumper II cams, 650 double pumper, msd ignition/distrutor, 4 speed muncie

has an issue running smooth at a steady speed but no problem
smashing on all gears.

sorry not a ford...

--------------------
Looking for clean white mustang email me

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
look in the vendor section, someone had a mobile wide band tunning service.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It could be timing also.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SIKSEVN
¯
Member # 3033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKSEVN  Ford pictures for SIKSEVN  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took my car to rpm speed center and so far for the issues I've had and things go wrong I'm really happy with there patience and work that has been done so far.. Luis is a good straight forward guy and knows his trade... My car will be done in a couple weeks ill let you know how it goes

--------------------
92COUPE/HCI302/ S-TRIM/TREMEC/ 410-GEARS/6-POINT CAGE

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you got all your vacuum lines plugged up? I know those thumpr cams sound great but don't pull that much vacuum. Check and make sure you don't have any leaks if you haven't already.

Secondly have you been turning the shit out of your carb adjustments? If so do your best to put them back to their stock adjustments before you take it to a shop or start over with troubleshooting.

*** The bro/car science go to carb size for that motor combo would be a 750 holley. Might want to think about putting a bigger carb on there.

[ 2014-03-23, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: SLOWBACK 67 ]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nothing on the vendor section.

wheres rpm bro? yeah keep me posted please

i did my best to tune it with the vacuum guage and timing gun
thats how i got it run the way it is now.

all the vacuum are plugged only using one for the distributor

--------------------

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an innovative wideband kit you can rent so if your interested pm me

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
SIKSEVN
¯
Member # 3033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKSEVN  Ford pictures for SIKSEVN  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
119 Val Dervin Pkwy, Stockton, CA 95206

Pm sent

--------------------
92COUPE/HCI302/ S-TRIM/TREMEC/ 410-GEARS/6-POINT CAGE

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dump that POS carb

The vette with 11.0:1 compression, single plane manifold, l79 cam idles at 700rpm if i need it to with a multi point FAST ez-efi. Starts on a single clik and the spark plugs read perfect with the commanded 15.1 idle 15.3 cruise and 12.8 WOT afr thru the wideband.

Also a fluctation at steady cruise could be a lean condition with not enough timing. For instance not running a vacuum advance and it not commanding about 45ish timing at cruise.

Also 0 miles? Yet you "smashed thru the gears"

[ 2014-03-23, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Fostang ]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you checked how much vacuum you are making at cruise and then checked you distributor with a vacuum pump to see how much advance you are getting at that amount of vacuum.

You want your timing dialed in before the carb

[ 2014-03-23, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a wide band on there. Innovate has them for around $160.
maeco
¯
Member # 2578

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Dump that POS carb

The vette with 11.0:1 compression, single plane manifold, l79 cam idles at 700rpm if i need it to with a multi point FAST ez-efi. Starts on a single clik and the spark plugs read perfect with the commanded 15.1 idle 15.3 cruise and 12.8 WOT afr thru the wideband.

Also a fluctation at steady cruise could be a lean condition with not enough timing. For instance not running a vacuum advance and it not commanding about 45ish timing at cruise.

Also 0 miles? Yet you "smashed thru the gears"

lol! baby smash... either way ill take it easy till its broken in thanks brotha.

right on guys ill check on more timing, vacuum working of dist, etc ill also check on the wide band.

lxjames ill hit you up bro.

--------------------

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Werd lol

Id do this.

Check your vacuum output.

Then check the spring on the canister for the advance. With a hand held pump see how much it takes to make full advance. If its more than what the motor is putting out change the spring for a lighter one. Check how much advance you are getting Id recomend about 10-14 *.

Now check what your weights advance at with the vacuum disconnected and say a base of 10* rev it and read the degrees u get all the way up to about 5k.

Personally I prefer with your specs depending on cam and cylinder pressure but should be about 160psi. Spark plugs gapped at .040-.045 base timing 16*, 10* of vacuum advance and 20* of mechanical advance. So your total cruise timing willl be about 46* WOT will be 36*. Also I prefer lighter springs with all of my mechanical timing in by 2500rpm.

This should put you darn close to what I think that motor should be at.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

maeco
¯
Member # 2578

quote:
Werd lol

Id do this.

Then check the spring on the canister for the advance. With a hand held pump see how much it takes to make full advance. If its more than what the motor is putting out change the spring for a lighter one. Check how much advance you are getting Id recomend about 10-14 *.

Now check what your weights advance at with the vacuum disconnected and say a base of 10* rev it and read the degrees u get all the way up to about 5k.

Personally I prefer with your specs depending on cam and cylinder pressure but should be about 160psi. Spark plugs gapped at .040-.045 base timing 16*, 10* of vacuum advance and 20* of mechanical advance. So your total cruise timing willl be about 46* WOT will be 36*. Also I prefer lighter springs with all of my mechanical timing in by 2500rpm.

Fack! Thats what iam talking about very imformative ill be doing this steps on my day off. Thanks brotha!

--------------------

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Board members name is 5.070merc if I remember right.
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is how I have my nova setup. Have you checked the jetting? Also what powervalve?

The 650 seems a little small but should be ok with the correct jetting.

quote:
Werd lol

Id do this.

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
call me i got a guy out of vacaville that is fucking awesome with carb dyno,s,
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
call me i got a guy out of vacaville that is fucking awesome with carb dyno,s,

don?
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://forums.holley.com/entry.php?430-Holley-Power-Valve-Tuning

Also don't forget the powervalve..i'm not sure how much vacumme your cam is producing but if it has a big overlap I doubt it's much.

Take a look at the link above.

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
Originally posted by maeco:
nothing on the vendor section.

wheres rpm bro? yeah keep me posted please

i did my best to tune it with the vacuum guage and timing gun
thats how i got it run the way it is now.

all the vacuum are plugged only using one for the distributor

http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000380;p=1#000002
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Dont forget ported manifold vacuum so the advance operating all the time when vacuum is present even at idle.

Just double checking you are running a pcv system? With a breather on the opposite valve cover? If not do it and while you are at it install an oil separator.

I doubt your power valve will have an issue with vacuum. Your cam I suspect will make 13" which should put you at the stock 65 power valve that came with the carb.

Is this a roller cam? Or flat. If its a flat run some bradd penn oil for the high zinc content

[ 2014-03-25, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Fostang ]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Thanks fellas and fostang right on bro car's finally running way better. Its like night and day. Iam pretty sure it can be tweeked a bit more but for now shes a driver. [patriot]

--------------------

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Sick... Do it swang?

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this dude in napa number is 707 253 0748, he charges 100 bucks an hour not some rip off flat rate of 500 bucks for a half hour tune by some hot shot with a big ego and could care less about what u got or doing. this guy aj just focuses on drivabilty and safe horsepower only, he does not try and make your car a dyno queen with unsafe peak dyno numbers. he prob one of the most talented guys ive met on many things. the last time i was in there he charged me a hundred bucks cause my tune on the customers car was already real close. the dude is honest an gd. really i tried other places, was never happy or the place i was thinking about had such a bad rap of arrogance and lack of customer service, i will never go anywhere else. 707 253 0748 aj at in frame tuning.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com