Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » trick flow cylinder head quality? local machine shops that arent afraid of TFS? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: trick flow cylinder head quality? local machine shops that arent afraid of TFS?
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thought I had a machine shop picked out to do the work on my motor but they are very against TFS heads due to the fact that now that they are owned by summit and the qc has gone out the window.

I know trick flow uses quality valves, im sure the castings should be up to par and to be honest, I would be buying my heads from a custom engine builder who actually goes through them before they are sold and would set them up according to my specific needs.

anyone have any issues with TFS recently?

Anoyone know of some GOOD machine shops that will not shun TFS products.

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had nothing but good luck with TFS heads. I know the R heads have or had issues with cracking around the spark plug holes, other than that they are great heads. What do you need done to them?

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Long story short, i'm like 98% sure i want to use the 190 cnc 11r heads. I'm planning on buying them from woody because woody sets them up right.

my machine shop has frowned upon TFS and as everyone knows when you have a machine shop who told you they don't want to use something and you push they get bent and the customer service goes out the window.

Im assembling the motor myself so i just need a machine shop locally that is:

A.good
B.trick flow friendly

and was just wanting to know if anyone has had issues with trickflow stuff recently as far as qc is concerned.

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
I've had nothing but good luck with TFS heads. I know the R heads have or had issues with cracking around the spark plug holes, other than that they are great heads. What do you need done to them?

Was this a widespread issue with the R heads?

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you get cracks in the head, let me know. The company I work for, fixes cracked castings and is also Ford certified. They order repair kits from us.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would dump that machine shop simply because they are clearly idiots! Lol.. TFS has never had any issues.. I have personally owned a dozen sets atleast and always had nothing but great luck with them! AFR on the other hand, different story! Had a set of heads that one of the valve guide socialized an valve was walking back and forth. Called them on it and they said that the old style heads had those issues. The new heads were revised to fix the issue . So long story short they did cover some of the parts cost but charged $700 to fix them to new spec! Kinda crappy deal really. TFS FTW!

Edit- I didn't know about the R head issue. Never ran that version!

[ 2014-03-19, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R ]

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had TFS heads since the twisted wedge came out in the early 90s, don't own that set anymore but I know where they are at and they are still on a car and still running strong, TFS had problems in the beginning but I would take a TFS heads over AFR heads, actually my Dart Block 331 came with some ported AFR185s and I would love to trade them for some TFS 11Rs.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never owned a pair of AFRs I have to agree they do look flashy and real pretty.

On the other hand I own a pair of Twisted Wedges they come with Ferrea Stainless Steel Valves. There quality of craftsmanship is superb. Just drop in and haul ass........ Worth every penny. [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
*Municipio Yanga Veracruz

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had some issues with mine between the valves. I ended up taking the valves out and cleaning the area up with a dremel. I haven't needed to take the heads off since so I don't know how they have held up to the repair.

http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=023276#000008

REDLIGHTING
¯
Member # 11296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for REDLIGHTING  Ford pictures for REDLIGHTING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A+ TFS

--------------------
1992 coupe YSI, DART,
225 TFS HIGH PORTS
04 mystichrome convertible

2006 GMC sierra slt crew

REDLIGHTING
¯
Member # 11296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for REDLIGHTING  Ford pictures for REDLIGHTING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's a place called dels machine shop in sac. They checked mine over n stuff. They were actually impressed buy the quality of TFS HEADS.

--------------------
1992 coupe YSI, DART,
225 TFS HIGH PORTS
04 mystichrome convertible

2006 GMC sierra slt crew

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have had both AFR and TFS, they are both great heads!

Woody gets his TFS heads from http://www.totalengineairflow.com/, it might be worth checking with them first before the order to see if you can get them straight from them. I do have to say that I purchased my heads through Woody with the upgraded valve train and ended up with Valve float, after the fact I contacted Woody and he said that it was pretty much impossible with a hydraulic roller with the setup they upgraded to. Well needless to say I then contacted TEA, ordered some better springs, and chromoly retainers and problem was solved.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

SWITCH 625.0
¯
Member # 9322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWITCH 625.0  Ford pictures for SWITCH 625.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had about every head made for a SBF. The early pedestal mount TFS/TW head had geometry problems with stock pushrods. Current TFS heads are top quality castings and all the holes are in the right place. Pushrod length is very critical. I have a set I bought about 4 years ago when Summit had them on sale for $999.00 w/.600 lift springs. Glad I bought them, I am just now using them on a build for a future project.

--------------------
04 TR Cobra
07 Shelby GT/SC 552 HP
89 Gt 331,AFR's,Paxton,TKO,3:73
68 Nova 396, 4 speed, 12 Bolt
65 SPF 427 Cobra Replica

Posts: 165 | From: Yuba City,Ca | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :