Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » magnaflow catback with super 44s swap. Help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: magnaflow catback with super 44s swap. Help
AP16
¯
Member # 12890

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP16  Ford pictures for AP16    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello guys, I currently have the following setup

Mac Longtube Headers
Mac o/r X pipe
Welded in Flowmaster Super 44s on the factory Magnaflow Catback (04 Saleen model)

Why is it that my car sounds very quiet when compared to other Mustangs with the same setup but maybe not with the Flowmasters welded onto Magnaflow pipes? I have noticed that the tips of the tailpipes are skinny and long and go into the chrome tips and wonder if this has anything to do with it? Will shortening the length of the pipes and adding longer chrome tips help?

MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm pretty sure exhaust tips don't make much of a difference in sound. Aren't the saleens side exhaust? What size are the pipes themselves?
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gotta be the mac equipment

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much louder do you want it?

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

AP16
¯
Member # 12890

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP16  Ford pictures for AP16    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this guy has the same setup as me but his is much louder. mines is a bit deeper. i have been outside of the car as well while its being driven to verify.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyZWJisHifI

here is a pic Here is a picture of the tip you can see how the tailpipe goes almost all the way to the end of the tip.  -

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have noticed a difference with having bigger tips compared to smaller tips on my Jeep. I think you should take those tips off and shorten the exhaust pipe and then weld the tips back on so that your actually using the tips for sound instead of just looks

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah take the tip off the tailpipe and have the tips put on correctly.

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FiveOhChuck:

The tips are welded on. This is an OEM Saleen catback and the tips came welded that way, stock.

The Mac mid pipe, is it the Prochamber? Do you have any pics of it?

The Mac Prochamber is known to be quite mild sounding. An off-road H-pipe would wake it up a little bit.

Otherwise, you might want to look at a louder set of mufflers. Flowmaster 10 series single chambers, or Spintech Super Pro Street, perhaps.

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:
quote:
Originally posted by FiveOhChuck:

The tips are welded on. This is an OEM Saleen catback and the tips came welded that way, stock.

The Mac mid pipe, is it the Prochamber? Do you have any pics of it?

The Mac Prochamber is known to be quite mild sounding. An off-road H-pipe would wake it up a little bit.

Otherwise, you might want to look at a louder set of mufflers. Flowmaster 10 series single chambers, or Spintech Super Pro Street, perhaps.

Oh dang. That's kind of weak and half assed for it to come from the factory like that. Never knew that [Eek!]

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Flowmaster singles dump offs will make every Jdm car alarm go off [Big Grin]

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you wanna be loud then buy SLP mufflers and remove your cats, then you can be really loud.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
AP16
¯
Member # 12890

i have the Mac OR X 04s281 so thats not the problem

looking down under the car it appears two different kind of piping were used on the catback.

I'm assuming being the Maggy cat back having longer and smaller tips. It makes it sound a little deeper/quieter restricting the sound level a bit.

i think what i will try is cut the weld remove the inner tail pipe thats in the muffler and clamp the tips back on or even buy a bigger tip. Hoping for the sound level to increase

Neight i don't want all that i just want my current system to sound like its supposed to as shown on the youtube vid posted above.

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rdiaz89:

looking down under the car it appears two different kind of piping were used on the catback.

I'm assuming being the Maggy cat back having longer and smaller tips. It makes it sound a little deeper/quieter restricting the sound level a bit.

i think what i will try is cut the weld remove the inner tail pipe thats in the muffler and clamp the tips back on or even buy a bigger tip. Hoping for the sound level to increase

Neight i don't want all that i just want my current system to sound like its supposed to as shown on the youtube vid posted above.

If you're going to do all that, I would just lose the tailpipes completely after the mufflers, sell them on the Saleen forums, as they are original... and have a shop bend you new tails with tips the diameter and length you want for the sound you're after.
Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:
quote:

If you're going to do all that, I would just lose the tailpipes completely after the mufflers, sell them on the Saleen forums, as they are original... and have a shop bend you new tails with tips the diameter and length you want for the sound you're after.
I give that a +1. Don't ruin rare parts when replacements will do the job and probably cost less. Buy tips have them welded in and be done. Don't cut weld grind fit weld clamp etc

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Cars on YouTube will sound different than they do in person.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

Cars on YouTube will sound different than they do in person.
Listen 2 neight he knows everything
just_another_ 91
¯
Member # 9317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_another_ 91  Ford pictures for just_another_ 91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i changed out my stock tail pipes for a set of magnaflow 3inch tips and noticed a huge differnec

--------------------
R.I.P 91 Black LX: 13.45@102.62

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com