Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » buying a car without a pink slip? advice needed

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: buying a car without a pink slip? advice needed
stangfanatic87
¯
Member # 12819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangfanatic87  Ford pictures for stangfanatic87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking to buy a truck for work. Saw a nice toyota 22re. Guy says its a clean title. He bought it off his coworker without a pinkslip his coworker filled out the bill of sale forms from dmv and signed them. This guy left the lines blank where the new owner is listed he said he was going to keep it but he has 3 cars and his wife is complaing so he never put it under his name. The guy smogged it and says all I have to do is go to dmv with paper work and things will be ok. The truck is clean and I talked him down on price. I have never bought a car this way. Can someone please help with giving advice. Thanks in advance

Here's the ad. Guy sounds legit.but no pinkslip? I really like the truck. Please help

http://merced.craigslist.org/cto/4359904080.html

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been there done that ... It's a hassle If you do decide to get it make sure you get everything on paper with sellers contact info ... Ps I wouldn't pay no more than 1600 for the truck without title ....good trucks tho [patriot]

[ 2014-03-04, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: red5o ]

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't need a title but don't go paying clean title prices without a clean title in front of you. I believe you can check online if the reg is paid and valid, or if they have a copy of the current reg then you should be fine. Lowball but if the reg is there and current then it should be fine with dmv
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its going to be a complete pain in the ass. Been there done that.

Pretty much DMV is going to tell you what they told me, You can walk into DMV with a stack of bill of sales and papers but if you dont have the title, The car still belongs to the person whos name is on it. Anyone can go to DMV, Fill out some papers and claim your car as theirs, despite you having a pinkslip with your name on it. Sounds like a red flag doesnt it?

Youre going to have to track the "owner" of the truck and get him to sign it over to you VIA duplicate title application.

[ 2014-03-04, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Robb ]

Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
88cobraclone
¯
Member # 10958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88cobraclone  Ford pictures for 88cobraclone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bought and sold many cars, if you want to make sure if its a clean or salvage title tell him to show you the current registration it also says if its a salvage on there. And make sure he fills out the pink paper from dmv that says to check what happen to the title and all seller info with signatures goes on there. Also a bill of sale from dmv. You can print out all these forms from the dmv website.

1. Current Registration shows you the owner, clean or salvage at the bottom. Fee's paid will show on there too with the date.

2. Lost of title paper (pink if you get it from dmv) make sure he signs release of liability and all seller info.

3. Bill of sale (brownish color if you get it from dmv)

Pretty much it.... [patriot]

Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The paper work needs to be noterised form the original owner. I just picked up a car without a title. You can call DMV and check to see if the title is clean too, takes forever to get threw tho..

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

stangfanatic87
¯
Member # 12819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangfanatic87  Ford pictures for stangfanatic87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88cobraclone:
Bought and sold many cars, if you want to make sure if its a clean or salvage title tell him to show you the current registration it also says if its a salvage on there. And make sure he fills out the pink paper from dmv that says to check what happen to the title and all seller info with signatures goes on there. Also a bill of sale from dmv. You can print out all these forms from the dmv website.

1. Current Registration shows you the owner, clean or salvage at the bottom. Fee's paid will show on there too with the date.

2. Lost of title paper (pink if you get it from dmv) make sure he signs release of liability and all seller info.

3. Bill of sale (brownish color if you get it from dmv)

Pretty much it.... [patriot]

Guy said registration reads clean title I really want this truck but don't want to jump the gun..
stangfanatic87
¯
Member # 12819

quote:
Originally posted by Cstang5.0:
The paper work needs to be noterised form the original owner. I just picked up a car without a title. You can call DMV and check to see if the title is clean too, takes forever to get threw tho..

Notarized thru a notary?? Or just seller?
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went through this a few years ago. Basically u will need to find or send a letter to the last registered owner of the car if they dont respond within 30 days then dmw can put it on your name. It a kinda of a hassle and I wont do it again.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would pass s find another one its not worth the hassle. It can be way more work than you think and the dmv has made it harder when you do not have all the legal paper work.

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Broke4.6
¯
Member # 9085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broke4.6  Ford pictures for Broke4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol its so easy, fill out a statement of facts saying you cannot find the original owner but you bought it from the person selling it and bam, you receive a pink slip 2 weeks later ..anyone who says its a hassle simply hasn't done it lol I've done it more than once and its easier every time

DMV wants your money, just have the bill of sale on point from the dude you bought it from and youll have no issues!!

[ 2014-03-05, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Broke4.6 ]

--------------------
01 GT -lazer red- 32v swap

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When i picked up my 89 LX it did not have a pink slip. The only papers i had were from the girl who sold it to the guy who i purchased it from.

None of his info was on the papers only hers and since i knew the guy very well I was okay with it.

Walked into DMV with smog in hand and the papers from the original owner with my info and got it processed on the spot and received my title a few weeks later.

Just make sure you have the proper forms from DMV (Lost/replacement title and vehicle transfer) that is what i had if i remember right.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

stangfanatic87
¯
Member # 12819

Thanks for the feedback guys. [patriot]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com