Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » car audio guru question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: car audio guru question
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm getting ready to redo the entire sound system in my foxbody Mustang. I have a 6 speaker system with three and a half inch tweeters in the dash, 6& a half inch door speakers, and six by nines in the rear. I want to run all of these of a four channel amp. ideally I would like to find a 6.5 door speaker with 3.5 tweeter component set that comes with the crossover so I can run a door speaker and a tweeter off one channel. Does anyone sell a set like this? With 3.5 inch tweeters instead of the traditional 1 inch? Or should I just say eff it and run just coaxial speakers in the doors and not run dash speakers?

If I should have put this in tech talk, sorry. Its not really a ford tech question, its an electronics tech question so I figured id stick it here

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just buy a cross over and u can run the dash 3inch or what ever and then run the 6.5 as the mid bass woofer. but make sure when you get a 3inch or what ever for the dash that its frequency response matches your cross over setting {rather it be 12 or 24 db octave}

what kind of 4 ch are you getting. b4 you order anything start reading a lot of info and about diff speakers etc.

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Toss the 6x9s and get some nice components for the door. You can fab a plate out of plastic to hold what ever tweeter you get in the dash spot. Get a decent 2 channel amp and or get a 4 channel run 1 and 2 to the component and bridge 3 and 4 into a sub. I got a ten and its not bad...Balanced actually. I'd like to try my dual 6.5" tang band woofers in a tiny vented box. More trunk space and better bass than a mediocre 12"

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't run any sub off any amp your running miss and highs off of. Ideally you want a component set up in your front stage I agree with what dude said grab a nice set and make a plate that fills the 3" hole in the dash and mount the tweeter in that

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im unsure about running a sub at the moment. I have no interior in my trunk and might sound pretty ridiculous. Im 25, but I feel like im getting too old for this shit. Then again. It was only 5 years ago i had 3 w7s in a buick, looking like an ass.

Regardless I would like to go 4 channel for the reg speakers alone. One channel per component and one channel per rear deck speaker. I could run both fronts on one channel and both rears on one channel, then bridge the other 2 for a sub, but I think 6x9s and door speakers wired parallel might fuck the sound. If I want a sub ill just run a dist. block and run 2 amps. 4 channel for the cab speakers, mono for the bass.

I also want everything to look factory. No putting tweeters in my door panels.

--------------------

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

quote:
Originally posted by 93coupessp:
Don't run any sub off any amp your running miss and highs off of. Ideally you want a component set up in your front stage I agree with what dude said grab a nice set and make a plate that fills the 3" hole in the dash and mount the tweeter in that

A plate! That would be neat and factory looking!

--------------------

SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
then get a nice mid bass set up for front door

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get 4ohm speakers all around run left front door and left rear quarter to one left channel on amp parallel will bring the load to 2 ohm do the same thing on right side then you have your left right stereo and if you choose to add a small sub off the remaining two channels by bridging them you can have your fader obviously would be front all mids n highs rear sub only. I don't prefer running a sub off an amp I run highs and mids from but it will work they have amps nowadays that can do it. On all my custom systems I would run amps for the mid bass alone amp for tweeters alone and subs alone

[ 2014-01-25, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: 93coupessp ]

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

87MclarenMustang
¯
Member # 10695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87MclarenMustang  Ford pictures for 87MclarenMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only time i would run a sub and my mids and highs off the same amp would be if it's a 5+ channel. Dropping a 1" tweeter in the dash would be fine if your amplifying it through a crossover.

--------------------
Formerly 07SilverS197

Posts: 1282 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Feb 2011  |  :
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Toss the 6x9s and get some nice components for the door. You can fab a plate out of plastic to hold what ever tweeter you get in the dash spot. Get a decent 2 channel amp and or get a 4 channel run 1 and 2 to the component and bridge 3 and 4 into a sub. I got a ten and its not bad...Balanced actually. I'd like to try my dual 6.5" tang band woofers in a tiny vented box. More trunk space and better bass than a mediocre 12"

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

quote:
Originally posted by Bent70:
Toss the 6x9s and get some nice components for the door.

Are u saying dont run rear speakers at all and just run components up front?
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

quote:
Originally posted by bentley mobs a stang:
quote:
Toss the 6x9s and get some nice components for the door.

Are u saying dont run rear speakers at all and just run components up front?
I think he's confused foxes used 6" openings in doors until 94 they went to 5x8 the 6x9 are for the rear quarters I personally hate the sound of 6x9's I would also look for a plastic or mdf 6x9 to 6 1/2" plate and ditch the 6x9s in the rear you could even run another componet back there all four componets on a good 4 channel would scream Check out taco tunes I know it's for Toyotas but the make those plates

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

http://shop.tacotunes.com/Toyota-Tacoma-Speaker-Installation-Front-Door-Mounts-65-HDP-TACO-65F-P.htm these right here

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

No speakers in the back.....
You want your sound stage to be in front of you not behind, having the speaker in the rear pulls away the sound and makes the sound alittle funky. I left my rear 6x9s out and use them as a pass though port kinda for the sub.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

quote:
No speakers in the back.....
You want your sound stage to be in front of you not behind, having the speaker in the rear pulls away the sound and makes the sound alittle funky. I left my rear 6x9s out and use them as a pass though port kinda for the sub.

Every car I've had with a trunk I put a good set of componets in the package tray you wouldn't believe how that sounds off the glass

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Idk, I guess it just personal taste.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Loving all the personal opinions on here. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. Time to study up on speakers. Any input on bang for your buck? Im no audiophile, I want something that sounds pretty good and wont piss off my old lady moneywise. I was thinking about infinity kappa series speakers.

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used a metal back strap to house my 1" tweeter in the dash and was a able to sit it flush under the factory speaker cover and ran a component speaker in the door, in a custom housing to get more sound out of the doors.

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

I'm running alpine type s in my mustang but with Dayton tweeters...lost one of the alpines. CDT fg components in my truck and there nice....

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Image dynamics, massive audio

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

I think I could even use plumbers tape as an adapter for the tweeter, bolt it down at the factory speaker holes on the dash and then mount the tweeter to the plumbers tape holes.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com