Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Which welding to buy

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Which welding to buy
sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys I just starting my welding course I'll be doing my cow 1,2 and 3 " thank you gi bill"
So anyways just want to ask what are some of you guys running at home for a hobbie mostly to mess with automotive stuff a little bit of everything,
Looking for a decent machine nothing to fancy since it will be my first machine thanks in advance

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
05s197
¯
Member # 13235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 05s197  Ford pictures for 05s197    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I looked all around for a welding coarse. where are you taking them?
Posts: 54 | From: walnut creek/concord | Registered: Oct 2013  |  :
sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm from salida and found a course here in modesto they have 2 school modesto technical college which I did there automotive part along with smog, so I decided to check out their welding course they offer some at the junior college but not advanced stuff

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out Eastwood , I heard their welder a work pretty well. If your doing sheet metal work get a 110 mig if your gonna do frame work , either a 220v mig or if your gonna put in some time pick up a tig welder .. Me personally I have a Lincoln sp 135 for the sheetmetal and a Lincoln 225 precision tig for frame work and aluminum .. Can't go wrong with Lincoln or miller .. I'd just get what ever color you think is pretty or who gives you a better deal(assuming they are the comparable machines)
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ +1
What he said. [patriot]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

05s197
¯
Member # 13235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 05s197  Ford pictures for 05s197    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heard good things about lincoln. Someone at the drag strip told me home depot has good ones to start on. Cant remember if he gave me a specific brand or wire etc.
Posts: 54 | From: walnut creek/concord | Registered: Oct 2013  |  :
CalBoy101
¯
Member # 13131

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalBoy101  Ford pictures for CalBoy101    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stay with one of the "big 3", Miller, Lincoln or Hobart. You'll need to decide if you want a mig or tig, the mig is cheaper. If you are serious about welding you'll need to end up with one of both.

Miller has a new mig that will run off 110 or 220, I think its about a grand. That's pretty nice as you can plug it in anywhere on 110 for small jobs or body work or to 220 when you need to do bigger jobs. This welder will pretty much handle anything on a car while a smaller 110 volt unit will fall down on frame type work.

If you are bucks down the Lincoln welders sold at Home Depot and Lowes are ok as long as you get at least the 140 amp size, the smaller ones are crap though. You can pick these up used for pretty good prices if you don't mind waiting for a good one to come up but often people list them at sucker prices so be careful.

Here's some really good welding forums with lots of experienced guys on it and they don't mind helping someone just starting out with tips and advice:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/forumdisplay.php?3-Welding-Discussions&s=f10273c2c32eafad807e71c6bb69ad53

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/forum.php?s=eac154e2d5fc565395a563ef3506591d

[ 2013-12-04, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: CalBoy101 ]

Posts: 34 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2013  |  :
sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Thanks guys I'm doing some research I'm liking the miller just becuase that's what we are using at school
As of now I want to get a mig ill look into the link thanks

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 05s197:
I looked all around for a welding coarse. where are you taking them?

Chabot in Hayward and Las Positas in Livermore have one of the better welding programs in the Bay.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com