Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » yo...03-04 MACH 1 owners.....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: yo...03-04 MACH 1 owners.....
90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my b head 96 cobra has been down n out of commision for a couple of months now. And i came across a complete stock 04 mach 1 4v engine, mileage is at about 105k...i know the mach 1s have a tad bit higher compression ratio i belive 11:1..
iv been contimplaying of foing a c head swap on my teskid shortblock but id rather just do an engine swap....

So my question to the mach 1owners is...
How many miles have you guys had these cars too??
How do they respond to normal bolt ons??
Any weak poibts in the engine??
Etc....

Any input helps
Thanks ca fords.....

Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
sinisterblk
¯
Member # 8425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinisterblk  Ford pictures for sinisterblk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rods are weak link.
Make sure engine is from 5spd car: forged crank, autos came with cast crank.
Marginal gains with simple bolt ones.

Posts: 549 | From: angels camp | Registered: May 2008  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There about as stout as a 96-98 cobra shortblock wise but superior in the compression/heads and Intake obviously,like above go with a 5spd 8 bolt crank engine if you can but nothing wrong with a 6 bolt cast crank in my opinion...my good buddy had an 03 Mach the white one everyone knows as Vndcatr on the boards and with minor bolt ons the car made an easy 340 rw NON sri/stock cams..ran bottom 12s@111/112 aswell..Go for it man C heads FTW,you will be suprised to see the difference between your old b headed engine to this one with the same mods..shit my old 99 cobra(now 85stang302's)with driver mod and exhaust/355s went 12.55s@105 lol no 96-98 cobra is doin that with exhaust ands gears! Believe me I own one lol I love these cars but the 99+ 32v's are where it's at man..good luck with your build!

[ 2013-11-22, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vndcatr  Ford pictures for Vndcatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like everyone else said. Great motors, especially the 04 Motors since you get the 9 thread heads. Just do a cooling mod regardless, Do longtubes and gears and youll have a mid 12 sec car.

the compression is 10:5:1 i believe stock, Someone on here a while back broke down all the differences in the 4v motors. And yes they do respond well to mods especially Longtubes lol.. [patriot]

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

Posts: 1066 | From: Sacramento,Ca | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do it!

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The engine im looking at is out of an automatic.....
what about swaping my b head cams into the mach 1 engine i heard someone say that theyl pick up about 20hp...

i already got longtubes, gears, and underdrive balacer/pulleys....plus i will be geting the vehicle tuned as well.
Id like to add some 30# inj & 90mm lightning maf also, to have her ready for the juice [Wink]

Just wondering if the 105k mile odometer may be to much??

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I loved my 03 Mach! They are the best out of n/a 4.6 32V motors, & respond well to mods, but regardless of production date, 9 thread heads or whatever, many of them end up having compression issues & burnt valves. I'm speaking from experience, since I had to rebuild my driver side head at 56k miles because it had super low compression in 2 cylinders, & this is pretty crazy because my car was babied & only had basic bolt ons & a tune. This is a common problem with 03/04 Cobras & Mach's. I suggest checking the compression before purchasing it. That being said, they are still badass, if the compression checks out, I would go for it!

I noticed a HUGE difference going from a 97 Cobra to an 03 Mach, even in stock trim! My 03 Made 315rwhp/323rwtq with only long tubes, exhaust, intake, intake spacer, & a mild tune.

Good luck!!!

[ 2013-11-22, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vndcatr  Ford pictures for Vndcatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I still think you were part of a bad batch Dustin.. I did many compression checks on mine with my stock motor and everytime were right on the money. and i beat the shit out of mine at the track..and the street lol

im Def for 96-98 cobra cams, but make sure they're Degreed!... 105k miles isnt shit, a couple simple tests will tell all.. [patriot]

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
shit my old 99 cobra(now 85stang302's)with driver mod and exhaust/355s went 12.55s@105 lol no 96-98 cobra is doin that with exhaust ands gears! Believe me I own one lol I love these cars but the 99+ 32v's are where it's at man..good luck with your build!

that reminds me, i need to upload that vid.. driver mod ftw..
[patriot]

[ 2013-11-22, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Vndcatr ]

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the cast crank in the auto is fine..aslong as you keep it under 6800... machs make peak power at 6200ish.. in theory it should make a lil more power then a forged crank from the weight savings... but im with dustin.. these motors do have issues with valve guides and that wont show up on a compression test really.. 96 intake cams in a mach will pick up 15rwhp forsure..

[ 2013-11-22, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Mach916 ]

Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know its the wrong section but I got a 2004 mach 1 5 speed with 95,0000 and will sell my engine if the price is right

[ 2013-11-22, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: 79 cobra ]

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Vndcatr:
quote:
shit my old 99 cobra(now 85stang302's)with driver mod and exhaust/355s went 12.55s@105 lol no 96-98 cobra is doin that with exhaust ands gears! Believe me I own one lol I love these cars but the 99+ 32v's are where it's at man..good luck with your build!

that reminds me, i need to upload that vid.. driver mod ftw..
[patriot]

Yes you do my friend!!! Before there erased for NEW Mach vids hahah

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Just sayin lol....

http://youtu.be/9a19DNMkXYA

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What should the compression be at.... psi??
if i decide to swoop it up i want to make sure i dont get a lemon

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

/\ a good compression check on a used 4.6l numbers shouldn't be below 160 psi per cyl in my o2..others may be a bit more anal and stress if any cylinder is less than 170ish,but to me 160+ for an engine with more than 100k on it is satisfying..gettin below 150 is not bad but she's def used up,any less than 120 time for some shit to be fixed...

Google find for ya so you can get a better idea...

Q. What is compression in an engine and how does it work?

A. Compression is a process in which air, or an air/fuel mixture is confined and pressed into a smaller volume within the area of an engine’s cylinder. This process forces all of the molecules to be "pressed" together under high pressure.
In the case of a gasoline engine, moderate compression is required, 140-160 PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch). Some engines may require as much as 220 PSI depending on their size and application. (The manufacturer gives specific Compression Specifications.) If the compression in a gasoline engine is too high, it can cause a problem known as pre-ignition or detonation. This can be very destructive, causing damage to the internal parts of the engine. However, a diesel engine requires very high compression, usually 350 PSI or more because it relies on this compression process to ignite the diesel oil. Diesel engines are much heavier and louder compared to the gasoline engine. This compression process combined with an air/fuel mixture and a source of ignition is what produces the necessary power to operate vehicles of all types.

[ 2013-11-24, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
/\ a good compression check on a used 4.6l numbers shouldn't be below 160 psi per cyl in my o2..others may be a bit more anal and stress if any cylinder is less than 170ish,but to me 160+ for an engine with more than 100k on it is satisfying..gettin below 150 is not bad but she's def used up,any less than 120 time for some shit to be fixed...

LOL.. My Mach with 56k had compression of 120 psi in 2 cylinders. That was enough for me to say I will NEVER own another 4.6 32V. Not knocking anyones cars, & those motors perform nicely when they are in good shape, but just saying, they are too finicky from the factory. Poor quality control on Fords part. Ask AED how many 03/04 32V cars they did head rebuilds on.

[ 2013-11-24, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Vndcatr:
I still think you were part of a bad batch Dustin.. I did many compression checks on mine with my stock motor and everytime were right on the money. and i beat the shit out of mine at the track..and the street lol

im Def for 96-98 cobra cams, but make sure they're Degreed!... 105k miles isnt shit, a couple simple tests will tell all.. [patriot]

Could be, but many have experienced the same issue, even some with 04's.

--------------------

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:

LOL.. My Mach with 56k had compression of 120 psi in 2 cylinders. That was enough for me to say I will NEVER own another 4.6 32V. Not knocking anyones cars, & those motors perform nicely when they are in good shape, but just saying, they are too finicky from the factory. Poor quality control on Fords part. Ask AED how many 03/04 32V cars they did head rebuilds on.
Eh..all makes and models CAN have there similar issue where it seems the problem could be in every car of that make and model,some more than others,but this is not always true..I've had MUCH exp with 32v engines and have yet to have any low compression issues what so ever,we all know my uncles 680rw 115k mile 03 cobra..never once had any similar issues I seem to always read in forums with this car or his first 03 that had 117k on it.(both stock longblocks,both 03,neither had the re-vised heads)..I myself have had 3 32v engines and also never had an issue and believe me I beat the hell out of my cars,same above as Vndcatr..not to mention the endless amount of customer cars I've worked on and never have had this issue..seems geared more towards the 03/04 cobras and the fact there boosted/lack of cooling from factory..Ever heard of the infamous LSX ring land issue?? Or the LSX oil consumption?? LSX Clutch/slave issues (you should know all about this lol) what about the infamous 10 bolt rearends? Or Honda cylinder heads blowing spark plugs out? Or sbf's loosing oil pressure? What about Cadillac water pumps? Sure similar issues happen within same make/model vehicles,but not all is always true and some cars NEVER have said issues..sorry Epik but 32v Nation is in full effect brotha,sorry your Mach had some bad luck but don't let that decide your o2 on a 32v engine cause there is PLENTY of them without these issues my man,it's all mechanics anything and everything can and will happen [burnout]

[ 2013-11-24, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

quote:
quote:

Ask AED how many 03/04 32V cars they did head rebuilds on.
Can we ask other reputable shops how many they HAVENT done? Apples to oranges bud....yes it seems lots have been fixed but at the same time lots haven't or even needed attention..

[ 2013-11-24, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Fasho.....thanks fellas....is 350hp to the wheels possible w bolt ons tune n cobra cams N/A.....
90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Vencatr chime in....
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
quote:
quote:

Ask AED how many 03/04 32V cars they did head rebuilds on.
Can we ask other reputable shops how many they HAVENT done? Apples to oranges bud....yes it seems lots have been fixed but at the same time lots haven't or even needed attention..
True.... Well, I like the 32V engine, but I will take my LSX or SBF anyday over one. Just my 02. I'm sure the OP will be happy with the Mach motor... I know I was, until I had to spend thousands of dollars to get my heads fixed, but I guess I just ended up with a lemon....

Good luck with the engine OP.

[ 2013-11-24, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com