Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need some guidance.. auto repair shop issue

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need some guidance.. auto repair shop issue
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
- sorry for the long story. I'm in need of some advice.

I took my 2000 CRV 121k AWD on 9/4/13 to Mission Auto Repair in Fremont because the idle went really low to a point it was going to die. After the diagnostic, the owner Ken suggested to get a new rebuilt engine. This is after I called him 2 days later because I did not hear from him. I agreed with the suggestion and he started the repair.
A week in a half later the car is done.

He replaced: Engine, Radiator, all the gaskets, fluids, hoses (engine related), new timing belt, belts and thermostat.

After getting the car and one day later, I heard a loud ticking noise coming from the engine and informed him the problem. So I took it in for a valve adjustment and went off my way.

THEN a week later, I went to get gas and the car wouldn’t start for some reason. I waited for about 10 mins to try again and the car magically started. I called him the following morning to notify him and he said it might be an electrical issue and he never once told me to bring it in. The car started to work fine after that hiccup.

But a few days later, I was at a stop light and I noticed the temperature go up to "H". I quickly pulled over and shut off the car. I called him and Ken said to add coolant and the car was fine after the coolant addition. I drove around for less than a week and started to notice again that the temp was going high at a complete stop. Once I drive, the temp goes back to normal. So I decided to bring the car in the following morning.

The next morning… the car wouldn’t start?! I called Ken to tell him I will be getting the car towed to his shop. Once the car got there he immediately did a pressure test and found nothing. He added coolant and got the car to start. Then I test drove the car. Before I did, I told him my concern that the car won’t start after I test drive it.

After the test drive, I turned off the engine and waited for him to check the car. He finally went to me and tried to start the car and it wouldn’t! Coolant was coming out of the reservoir and he suggested looking into it further and he would call me in a couple hours.

I waited all day but I didn’t hear from him. So I decided to drive there to get a direct answer. He told me that the engine is bad and it’s a manufacture defect. Then explained he needed to replace the headgasket because coolant is getting burn off by the engine and ordered a new engine which he will get on Tuesday 10/15/13 and should be fixed before this Wednesday 10/16/13. I calmly asked him to call me when he receives the newer engine, but I didn’t hear from him. So I called this morning and he told me that he’s going to replace the headgasket only and didn’t get a new engine.

I’m very frustrated and not satisfied with his service. I paid $3000 for him to fix the problem and it feels like I’ve paid $3000 to him to have more problems. On top of that, all the inconvenience I have to go through.

After he replaced the engine, I’m getting problems I’ve never encountered before the original issue. I’m getting the feeling that he is giving me the run around and I’m afraid if I pressure him to complete the job he will do a poor repair again.

Is there anything I can do? Can I get my refund? Can I file a complaint and if so, what good would it do?

Thanks in advance,
Calvin

[ 2013-10-15, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: siri95 ]

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1992 Ford F-150 XLT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds very frustrating. At the very least file a report with BBB. Good luck with everything
VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VENOMUS PONY 5.0  Ford pictures for VENOMUS PONY 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bureau of automotive repair 800-952-5210
Make a claim they will pay him a visit. By paying him a visit they will scare him to the point of either fixing it right or not. You also have the right to take it else where but pay for it out of pocket and take him to small claims court. Good luck brotha I had a shady Asian dud in San Jose f..! up my Lexus was a long process but got through it. Did you sign a estimate that right there is a big deal hopefully you didn't sign the final invoice.

[ 2013-10-15, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: VENOMUS PONY 5.0 ]

--------------------
If You Want More Inches - Stroke It!!!
Mystery stang in the works..

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sucks to hear that. Sounds like u didn't need an engine to begin but I may be wrong. This why I dont trust mechanics at big shops. Best you could do like mentioned above file a report but dont make it a big deal to him while your car is at the shop.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks!

Is there any way I can get a refund or some kind of refund?

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by siri95:
thanks!

Is there any way I can get a refund or some kind of refund?

After you make a report and they investigate the shop.They will ask him for receipts of the used or new motor and if he doesn't have proof of the engine then it's another story..After the investigator makes his report he will contact you..You'll get your money and plus more,specially if you missed work due to not having proper transportation..Good luck bro.. [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As a mechanic some times those replacement motors have problems. I'm not sure if you opted for a brand new engine , or if he got you a used engine. I don't know dude but as long as he was honest in doing what he said he did. Taking care of the labor costs in my opinion is fair, I woulda thought after the first call he would have had you bring it in, but honestly sometimes shit happens and as long as he fixes it in my opinion you should be even. If he bought one of those reman motors he's probably coming out of pocket bucks because those warranties don't cover shit
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So wait it had low idle and he suggested a new motor? [Confused]

I'd definitely file a complaint and get the issue fixed ASAP.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Questions on your CRV first off-

Are you the first owner of the vehicle?
How good of care have you taken of this car?
Have you looked into bad years of this vehicle for major problems?
Driven it with little to no oil in the past?
Has it ever over heated before this low idle thing happened?

Its to early for my brain to think but you get the idea. Low idle and a new engine are a little fishy but it's possible. I'd search the web on problem year models and see what pops up, good luck.

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ yea my assumption was that the mechanic was being honest with his diagnosis. I wouldn't assume if it was just a low idle the mechanic would just say swap out the motor. Honestly he would probably make more money fixing every other issue seperate, but he was probably just trying to do you a solid lol. Post up the diagnosis from the invoice I bet it would tell a lot . Or mechanic is a crook an you should go to the bar. Much more likely its just a shitty situation for both of you
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Just for a little story on my experience with these replacement motors. I had a customer come in with a sohc split port focus , it dropped a valve seat and grenaded the motor. Lady orders a new one I put it in. Things runs perfect.. A week later she said she saw an oil spot on her driveway , immediately I tell her to bring it back, I pull the oil pan (on my dime) and find out the timing cover was installed crooked and it would have to be pulled off to straighten.. It's nothing I did but believe me it was akward tellin the lady that yes there is an oil leak but no it's not something that I would be responsible for. I felt bad for her but I didn't charge her any labor for the diag and I went back and forth for hours with the engine company trying to get them to honor their warranty.. The lady is happy with my work but not so much with the engine company . I know cool story bro .. But sometimes the mechanic is in a shitty situation too give him a chance to make it right..
CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can tell you that my 98 CRV burnt the valve seat on valve #3 which seems to be a common and known issue on these vehicles. I just simply pulled the head, had a machine shop of their magic, put it back in and it's been running like a champ. This happened at 90k and now has 170k. I can't help but wonder if this was your initial problem.
Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I highly doubt it needed a new engine to begin with, It sounds like a sensor problem. Sounds like he milked you hard.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^ agreed
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

@89foxstang- He got the engine from Japan Engine INC and the mechanic is blaming them for the bad engine.

@NEIGHT- Mechanic suggested a new motor from his diagnostic and told me that one of the valves was bad. – I already have a BAR complaint formed filled up and ready to be sent out. Before I do, I will be contacting the shop to inform him.

@9cobra7- to answer your questions. 1. 2nd owner. Got it at 10,000miles back in 2001 2. Done the regular schedule maintenance 3. Never got the chance to look at the bad years with the CRV 4. Never overheated before I took the car in. Only started to overheat after I had repairs done with this shop.

@89foxstang- he just told me that he is going to replace the headgasket. I will post up the invoice soon on the work he has done.—re: your story. Nice of you to fix everything for your customer and it sounds like the lady ended up being happy in the end. Did you end up getting the warranty honored?

It seems like the only thing I can do let him know that I am not satisfied with his work and not comfortable driving the car. I cant help but think to myself that the CRV is not reliable.

Is there any way I can ask for a refund from his services or am I SOL and have to deal with this inconvenience?

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
@89foxstang- He got the engine from Japan Engine INC and the mechanic is blaming them for the bad engine.

@NEIGHT- Mechanic suggested a new motor from his diagnostic and told me that one of the valves was bad. – I already have a BAR complaint formed filled up and ready to be sent out. Before I do, I will be contacting the shop to inform him.

@9cobra7- to answer your questions. 1. 2nd owner. Got it at 10,000miles back in 2001 2. Done the regular schedule maintenance 3. Never got the chance to look at the bad years with the CRV 4. Never overheated before I took the car in. Only started to overheat after I had repairs done with this shop.

@89foxstang- he just told me that he is going to replace the headgasket. I will post up the invoice soon on the work he has done.—re: your story. Nice of you to fix everything for your customer and it sounds like the lady ended up being happy in the end. Did you end up getting the warranty honored?

It seems like the only thing I can do let him know that I am not satisfied with his work and not comfortable driving the car. I cant help but think to myself that the CRV is not reliable.

Is there any way I can ask for a refund from his services or am I SOL and have to deal with this inconvenience?

You should be able to get your money back..Talk to the owner of the shop and say the magic word B.A.R
[patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Honda's suck buy a ford!
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
those motors are junk. the dealership told me so when i was tryna order one for my own customer, the local used motor spot said the same thing, there just junk, i wont be working on one around that area again myself. not to mention th emotor i put in, a week later the tranny went out, i got accused of blowing the trans as well. for 300o u got a used motor, and they should of replaced it on a warranty, even the most shadestest spots have a 30 day warranty on used motors.unless there hard to find is th eonly reason th emotor should not of been replaced
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Bad valve? Seems like easy machine shop fix or head replacement at most not the whole motor. Hope you get it all resolved bro. [patriot]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

quote:

I never saw a dime from the warranty company, I just wanted to make sure that I am good by my customer, I lost probably 300$ on that but she brought back more work so it was worth it.

Now did he replace it with a new or used engine? Assuming the engine isn't wore out. If he fixes the headgasket correctly it shouldn't be an issue after its fixed. You shouldn't be paying the labor on this. Unless before hand when you bought the motor(assuming it was used) that their was no warranty.

And for the burnt valve , really depends how bad the valve was, and the condition of the rest of the motor. Worst case the valve head could've broken off and munched a piston , best case it needs a valve job. Or it could've beaten the seat so bad that it cracked the head .. Then you need a crack repair which = $$ .
Basically what I'm getting at in a poorly written way is:

No body here has all the info. Depending on whether the motor is used or new the cost could've been less buying a "new" (I'm assuming its used ) motor. And that cost to pull the head off to check how bad the valve is isnt free so my assumption is the mechanic calculated the cost to pull the head and get some machine work , an the cost of buying a used replacement motor with install. Not sure if he pitched you both ideas? But I'm assuming the used motor option was less expensive .

[ 2013-10-18, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: 89foxstang ]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com