Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Smog Fail

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog Fail
cobra4v
¯
Member # 4889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra4v  Ford pictures for cobra4v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always store my 01 Cobra with the battery disconnected. When smog time comes around I would drive the car for 25 miles and pass with flying colors. This time around I had to bring it to a Star Smog station and the OBD 2 test fail. The tech told me to drive another 30 miles and bring it back. I did and fail again. He told me the OBD 2 test is not reading and to drive another 30-40 miles. Question is...has the smog laws change or is something wrong with the computer.

[ 2013-10-11, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: cobra4v ]

CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nothing changed, my 01 Cobra did the same thing. You need about 50 or 60 drive miles and multiple heat cycles. I finally just went to Harbor a Freight and bought my own OBD2 scanner so I can check readiness myself before taking it in for smog. For some reason the upstream O2 sensors take longer to clear than everything else.

[ 2013-10-11, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: CAStang ]

Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
cobra4v
¯
Member # 4889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra4v  Ford pictures for cobra4v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok...I never had this problem in the pass. Thanks!
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hit up neight with a pm he can help for sure
cobra4v
¯
Member # 4889

quote:
Originally posted by TEXAS:
Hit up neight with a pm he can help for sure

Will do...lol
95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hahahaha

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
1Nasty66
¯
Member # 12991

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Nasty66  Ford pictures for 1Nasty66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
had the same problem but was told at least 300 miles for some sensor to cycle itself then pass with flying colors

--------------------
2001 Bullitt DHG #2673 of 5582 built(sold)
1966 mustang 289

Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous5.0  Ford pictures for Infamous5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some cars can take up to 500 miles before all bye monitors are ready lol. A nice drive to LA should help your car pass with ease.

--------------------
To be or not to be

cobra4v
¯
Member # 4889

Ok...did what u guys said exept drive for 300-500 miles. Drove it another 60 miles with multiple heat cycle, driving it on the highway going 50-60 miles an hour and had it re-test and pass with flying colors. I think the key is the heat cycle. Thanks everyone with the tips.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com