Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Electrician job? Apprenticeship?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Electrician job? Apprenticeship?
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I remember talking to a few members a while back about how to join a union and get my apprenticeship going. I forgot there usernames unfortunately, I think one was "poisondpony" if I'm not mistaken. I'm thinking about going down to the next application date and taking my test January 1st for the Santa Clara county local 332. Any advice that anyone is willing to share will be highly appreciated. What should I look out for and focus on, etc... Thank you cafords and members.

[ 2013-10-10, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: ISP89LX ]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brush up on some math

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93coupessp:
Brush up on some math

+1. Get some tutoring or take a class on math. After you get in its easy money. Bending pipe and pulling wire.
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I could deff use some brushing up on some math haha, was not my favorite subject in school but wasn't bad at it.

[ 2013-10-10, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: ISP89LX ]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VENOMUS PONY 5.0  Ford pictures for VENOMUS PONY 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A lot of math study hard..

--------------------
If You Want More Inches - Stroke It!!!
Mystery stang in the works..

32VSTANG
¯
Member # 9803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 32VSTANG  Ford pictures for 32VSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took that last year in April for the same local 332. I thought it was pretty simple as far as the English/comprehension. But the math was too long n ran out of time. Never went to retest.. If u do go be on time though. There was a guy who got there a minute late didn't let him test.

Anyways if u go good luck!!! It's worth it! Paid training and school bro [patriot]

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes that was me. They have been taking apprentices like crazy! Although they said they have no plans for an other class right now but I doubt that will last long. I took my exam 12 years ago when I first took my residential apprenticeship. I'm a 3rd year inside apprentice now. If your applying only apply for inside wireman don't bother with residential or sound and communication. Even if they ask. It is not worth it.
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by gohardgohome:
I took that last year in April for the same local 332. I thought it was pretty simple as far as the English/comprehension. But the math was too long n ran out of time. Never went to retest.. If u do go be on time though. There was a guy who got there a minute late didn't let him test.

Anyways if u go good luck!!! It's worth it! Paid training and school bro [patriot]

Yeah heard good things about it. I'm deff excited to give it a try. Thanks.

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by poisonpony96:
Yes that was me. They have been taking apprentices like crazy! Although they said they have no plans for an other class right now but I doubt that will last long. I took my exam 12 years ago when I first took my residential apprenticeship. I'm a 3rd year inside apprentice now. If your applying only apply for inside wireman don't bother with residential or sound and communication. Even if they ask. It is not worth it.

Wassup bro! I thought that was you. I'm finally coming around to giving it a try and I'm excited. I'm deff leaning more towards the inside wireman like you suggested, sounds more interesting from what I read on their website. I've heard lots of good things about it and I'm looking forward to making a career out of it. Anything you can recommend before test time? Thanks.

[ 2013-10-10, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: ISP89LX ]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My dad's pretty known in the local 302 out here in Martinez, it seems like its hella hard to get into but everyone I know who does it loves it, I thought about getting in also but I just haven't done the test, but yes study like crazy for math..

Not sure if this is always true on these kinda test but I heard you are graded by the questions u ANSWERED, meaning if u dont know it don't answer it at all.

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With residential and sound and comm your pension and health benefits are nowhere close to what inside is plus inside you get paid way more! There are a lot of guys who make 130-150k plus there are guys with over 1 million in there part b pension. Part b is like your play money when u retired. I can ask about the test when I'm at school on Monday. I can give you better advice about interview.
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Def one of the better trades to get into. The pay is good and the work is not back breaking. Make no mistake, in commercial construction you will be expected to work hard and have a good attitude or you will be off the job. You will be somebody's bitch for a few years but it's worth it. Tons of work available from SF to San Jose right now. Multiple high rises, hospitals, and other commercial work. It's a great time to get in.
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't get excited about it until you get a start date, not an easy trade to get in, good luck though.
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Join Local 6 which is SF county if possible. They have the strongest Union and best bennis. You work 7 hours a day. Almost all work that is overtime is paid double time. Turned out rate right now for a JW is 55 an hour take home. Bennis make the full package over 98 bucks an hour. You literally cost anywhere from a 1.50 a minute to 2 bucks a minute.

Brush up on your algebra before the test. And if you know someone in the union it is a breeze to get in.

Regards and good luck.

Eric

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just joined local 467 plumbers union. School sucks the job is fine. I joined for the pension and more money than I was making at Costco... Great trade to be in. I got lucky and didnt have a hookup to get in. A company hired me because I told them I knew my way around tools and could service there cars when needed [Big Grin]
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Electrical work was fun, but knowing when your going to run out of work and be laid off was not.not to mention commuting. I did great while doing it and will have the experience to last me a lifetime.
I got out and went into water treatment, pay is just as good with lots of higher paying positions to move into, industry is trying hard to find folks, state benefits are stellar plus job security and stability. all my water education is paid for, and if I stay at my current job will include them paying for me to attend a four year school, and I only have a 15 min commute now. Couldnt be happier now!

If the unions arent taking folks and you need to get out and get a job now, check out ABC golden gate chapter and wecca based out of Sac, they both have tons of contractors all over the state and country.it will be a great way to get experience and the move to union can always be done, you will be a more qualified in their eyes with previous experience.

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Thanks for all the advice and comments fellas I appreciate it [patriot]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this will get you far if you remember it:
ohms law
& algebra

[Wink]

nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Plumbers and steamfitters local 38 sf..we are making 62$ an hour. Apprentiship test in may..one of the strongest locals in the bay.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by nasty93:
Plumbers and steamfitters local 38 sf..we are making 62$ an hour. Apprentiship test in may..one of the strongest locals in the bay.

Thanks bro ill look into them also. [patriot]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com