Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » How to properly store a mustang for long periods of time?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How to properly store a mustang for long periods of time?
alexv
¯
Member # 13018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexv  Ford pictures for alexv    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I may or may not have to leave the country for a while (work is looking shaky atm), and I'd like to try to keep my 96 cobra convertible.
I may have access to a friend's garage or it may have to be parked in her driveway.
So far I was thinking of doing the following:
-Oil change
-clean and wax the car
-overinflate the tires by a few psi
-cover the car with a car cover
-add moth balls around the car
-plug the tail pipes with steel wool
-use a fuel stabilizer and making sure the fuel tank is as close to full as possible
-disconnect the negative battery cable

Anything else? It could be for a few months or up to a few years.
I'd prefer not to sell it if I can safely store it.

Posts: 119 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's going to be for a few years I'd put it up on jack stands so you don't ruin your tires. It'd be best to keep it in a garage rather than a driveway, the elements are going to be hard on the paint/top. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone put it through a heat cycle every couple months or so. Otherwise you've got a really good check list.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea I'd say for months your spot on, years I'd say throw It on jack stands , and probably throw something extra over the tires so the sun doesn't cook them, or better yet throw them inside so no one steals them lol.. Also agree with above post have someone start it at least once a month and get it up to temp
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you put on jack stands make sure that the jacks are on the suspension so it doesn't just hang there and yes like neight said let someone start it once a month till it gets to operating temp to rid any moister build in the motor and see about humidity control in the garage

[ 2013-09-06, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com