Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Tips or advice from anyone in Law Enforcement! "I have a oral board interview tomorro

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tips or advice from anyone in Law Enforcement! "I have a oral board interview tomorro
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm 23 years old, and I'm working towards a career. I've applied for Contra Costa County deputy sheriffs, and I've taken my written and agility and passed both. I have my Oral board interview tomorrow, and I'm nervous and anxious, due to it being a big step in my life, if all goes well.

So can anyone, that has gone through this process, or is active Law enforcement, give me any advice or tips?

Mike

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*
90 Notchback *wrecked and sold*
93 Ex-CHP notchback *Daily driver*

Posts: 558 | From: El Sobrante/Vallejo | Registered: Jan 2010  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not a LEO, but have LEO buddies. I've asked them about the backgrounds and all of them said, "Be honest." If you're clean, then you've got nothing to worry about.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
0089GT
FREE
PALESTINE
Member # 9996

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0089GT  Ford pictures for 0089GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey man I don't personally have any advice towards this type if career but I can till you this. God willing you will get the job and do great, stay positive no matter the outcome. If you end up not hearing back, don't get upset or frustrated stay focused on a good path and it will come to you. I wish you the best and hope you get it and excel at such a young age! Congrats brotha

--------------------
FREE PALESTINE

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Contra Costa has, or at least when I took it, had a pretty standard issue interview it wasn't anything too crazy actually one of the easiest oral boards I have ever taken.

1. Shake their hands when you walk in prior to sitting down.

2. BE HONEST if you have made mistakes in life don't lie about it speak truthfully tell then you learned from it and you will not do it again.

3. Don't give Yes No answers, elaborate a bit but don't ramble either

4. Eye Contact but don't stare lol

5. Don't use slang, even simple things like yeah and nope etc.

6. Wear a damn suit with a neutral color tie no bright colors

7. Don't try to sound like a boy scout, like saying shit like you would write your mother a speeding ticket lol

8. Get there about 15 mins early basically don't be late rushed run in you want to take a few minutes to chill breathe before the interview

9. When they ask you at the end if you have anything to ad DON'T SAY NO!, tell then thank you for your time ask about their Dept something to make then feel like you want to work for them not just any agency

10. Shake hands on the way out

Interview is early on in the process so don't let it stress you out too much take it as an opportunity to tell them about yourself and learn from it.

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oral interviews are always a win win!! loljk
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
oral interviews are always a win win!! loljk

[worship]

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your questions should be angled toward advancement. You could ask if they support further education and give them an example u want to get your bachelors online in managent and whatnot. be prepared to give a good reason for any previuos tickets and remember they job is to serve the public your mindset should be about good customer service
Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArchersGT  Ford pictures for ArchersGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got a tip. If all goes well and you get a badge soon, don't be a prick. [patriot]

--------------------
86' LX Vert

Ric88Notch
¯
Member # 11660

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric88Notch  Ford pictures for Ric88Notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm interested in becoming a LEO. I've read about it online but can anyone give me some comments about whats necessary to do?

--------------------
2013 Black GT

RODRIGUEZ
¯
Member # 9104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RODRIGUEZ  Ford pictures for RODRIGUEZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My tip would be,

Don't tell them that your on CAfords and that your user name is SicWiditMke...

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RODRIGUEZ:
My tip would be,

Don't tell them that your on CAfords and that your user name is SicWiditMke...

[patriot]

When you meet your background investigator, they WILL research on you, dig up as much information as they can about you.

My suggestion is that if you are serious about a career in LE. You should disable / remove all your online accounts that you post on.

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SikWiditMke:
I'm 23 years old, and I'm working towards a career. I've applied for Contra Costa County deputy sheriffs, and I've taken my written and agility and passed both. I have my Oral board interview tomorrow, and I'm nervous and anxious, due to it being a big step in my life, if all goes well.

So can anyone, that has gone through this process, or is active Law enforcement, give me any advice or tips?

Mike

Goodluck Mike, give us some good news!!

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, today was a long day interview in the morning and work right after.

The interview was nerve wrecking, the questions they asked, especially the one of the scenario questions threw me way off.

I answered them best to my ability, and tried to sell my self as much as I can, on why I would be a good candidate.

So now is the waiting game..

Want to thank you all for the tips, and I will be deleting all my social media network stuff soon. Lol

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*
90 Notchback *wrecked and sold*
93 Ex-CHP notchback *Daily driver*

Posts: 558 | From: El Sobrante/Vallejo | Registered: Jan 2010  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SikWiditMke:
Hey guys, today was a long day interview in the morning and work right after.

The interview was nerve wrecking, the questions they asked, especially the one of the scenario questions threw me way off.

I answered them best to my ability, and tried to sell my self as much as I can, on why I would be a good candidate.

So now is the waiting game..

Want to thank you all for the tips, and I will be deleting all my social media network stuff soon. Lol

What was the scenario and how did you answer?

Hope it works out for you, but remember, if you do not get a paid position you can apply to most academies as a non-affiliate. Some academies are extended formats and you can still work while attending.

I put myself through the academy in 2008 when the economy tanked and most agencies stopped hiring and started laying police officers off. That being said, I was fortunate enough upon graduating to get hired and haven't looked back. Very rewarding career. If you want it, you'll make it happen.

Good luck!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com