Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Suspension purchase (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Suspension purchase
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I have finally made the decision to finally buy all my suspension for my fast back ,after this things should start moving on this project . I'm leaning towards the Aje colt 45 kit , and rear was thinking Aje rear kit with the adjustable control arms and rear subframes . I'm primarily going to use this car on the street and maybe the occasional track for auto cross And the ocaisinal drag strip . Do you think the Aje kit will suite my needs for my 66fb ? If not what would you recommend ,and why.
Here is a link to the kit I'm referring to
http://www.ajeracing.com/64-70Mustang.php

[ 2013-08-24, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you will be happy wit your purchase. I'd like to buy the front coilover kit that Maier Racing is now offering. I'm going to be running their rear set up as well.

Good luck with the build. [patriot]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good to me wish i went a that route first.

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

sinisterblk
¯
Member # 8425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinisterblk  Ford pictures for sinisterblk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the price the AJE kit is at the top of my list. I also have been looking at the http://streetortrack.com/ stuff.
Posts: 549 | From: angels camp | Registered: May 2008  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys for the input

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good to me wish i went a that route first.

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is that k member bolt on? sure looks like it?

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :
kingdavid
¯
Member # 11179

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingdavid  Ford pictures for kingdavid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I purchased that kit and sold it before I installed it the lower a arms seemed very undersized and that concerned me other than that it's a good price for what you get just make sure to weld in the k member because its just a bolt in.

--------------------
1967 mustang 410W
2014 Oxford White 5.0

Posts: 305 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

All k members are bolt in and the car is light so the under sized looking a arms are normal IMO

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since you asked. I do not understand the fascination with these type of " kits" that install a fox platform suspension design in an early car. The only reason Ford put this stuff in the fox platform was because it was cheap. Not because it was engineered or performed well.

You say you are going to autocross and track this thing. I take it then that you want a good handling car. The rack is nice but with the availability a power box makes upgrading the steering easier. The struts are a step backwards as they offer no camber gain on compression. Upper and lower control arm along with strut rods that have good bearings or bushings (no rubber) and low friction ball joints will improve the ride and keep descent geometry. The Shelby mod helps also.

In the rear the triangulated 4link will bind causing snap loose situations. It does work well for drag racing. A panhard or watts link with parellel 4link a 3link or tourque arm is a better choice to make it handle well. The stock design is more predictable than a triangulated 4link.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
Since you asked. I do not understand the fascination with these type of " kits" that install a fox platform suspension design in an early car. The only reason Ford put this stuff in the fox platform was because it was cheap. Not because it was engineered or performed well.

You say you are going to autocross and track this thing. I take it then that you want a good handling car. The rack is nice but with the availability a power box makes upgrading the steering easier. The struts are a step backwards as they offer no camber gain on compression. Upper and lower control arm along with strut rods that have good bearings or bushings (no rubber) and low friction ball joints will improve the ride and keep descent geometry. The Shelby mod helps also.

In the rear the triangulated 4link will bind causing snap loose situations. It does work well for drag racing. A panhard or watts link with parellel 4link a 3link or tourque arm is a better choice to make it handle well. The stock design is more predictable than a triangulated 4link.

Also wanted a three link out back but there's not much out there for earlier mustangs and if there is I'm clueless about them , and yea I am asking cause I don't know what's out there that's available for this early mustang I've always owned Foxbodies and that's all I've ever known so nows the time for me to learn on this project .

[ 2013-08-25, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you are planning any kind of track use other then drag Racing, I'd stay away from that kit. if you want better handling and ride on the street and will drag the car go for it.

If you decide to stay with the traditional style suspension get a long travel kit(where the coil over attaches to the lower control arm) Street or track has the best kit to bolt into the stock position IMO.

Remember you will be cutting your car up to install this suspension and you have to ask if your okay with it forever. sure you can re install frame rails etc and start over but thats a lot of work.

You also need to look at: Nobody uses strut suspensions for any kinda of road racing. your camber gains are usually garbage and you have to run tons of static camber.

Im in the midst of installing the DSE front suspension in my car and I feel it is very worth cutting my car up!

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as mentioned above, you will want to stay away from a triangulated rear suspension for a road racing application. there are lots of 3 and four link kits available.

With a 3 or 4 link kit you will need some sort of centering device to keep the rearend squared in the car. this is usually done via watts or panhard.

4 link will utilize 2 upper and 2 lower control arms and some sort of centering device unless its triangulated.

A 3link will usually consist of 2 lower control arms plus a torque arm or some sort of small arm up top. plus the centering device.Ive also seen some without any torque arm, just two lowers and centering device.

Torque arms work very well but are notorious for being loud and clunky( you may want to go for a ride along in someones car)

also if you've already installed subframe connectors you will have to probably make our own or modify the torque arm mounting point to fit the existing connectors.

other things to consider when suspension shopping:

-mounting points for the rear suspension. anything that uses the front leaf spring mount will limit how wide your rear tire can be. then flaring becomes the only option, to get more rubber out back.

-if driven on the street, how much steering travel will I loose?

-how much suspension travel will I have

-ride height, you really dont want to take too much travel out of the shock by adjusting the coil overs all the way down.

-if using mismatching suspensions front and rear, make sure youll be able to get ride height where you want it.

- how much after market support is there for the front suspension? if going mod motor some day will it allow for it?

I just recently pulled the gateway strut kit off the front of my car , which I didnt even get to use. I went with it at the time because it was going to allow for a nice ride while being able to slam the car. it also didnt require me to cut the car up to install so i could go with something else later on.

I know its lots of money, But I went Dse up front due to the excellent Camber gains, tons of travel, full turning radius while allowing me to go 275 up front. buy once cry once.

[ 2013-08-25, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: v-town coupe ]

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:

Also wanted a three link out back but there's not much out there for earlier mustangs and if there is I'm clueless about them , and yea I am asking cause I don't know what's out there that's available for this early mustang I've always owned Foxbodies and that's all I've ever known so nows the time for me to learn on this project .
check out street or tracks 3 link. shaun is a good dude and knows his stuff! HAS tons of R&D on all his products. www.streetortrack.com
kingdavid
¯
Member # 11179

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingdavid  Ford pictures for kingdavid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ 2013-08-25, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: kingdavid ]

--------------------
1967 mustang 410W
2014 Oxford White 5.0

Posts: 305 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive said it before, Ill say it again.. Maier Racing hands down

http://www.maiermotorsports.com/

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go with griggs you won't regret it! [patriot]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Looks like I got some research to do thanks for the advice guys!

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
Originally posted by sneakyfox90:

Griggs is still having a lot of bearing failures up front. Cortex would be who I talk to if I were looking at that style suspension.
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
quote:

Griggs is still having a lot of bearing failures up front. Cortex would be who I talk to if I were looking at that style suspension.
that's interesting, how many is a lot? and how many of those cars were street cars? not that I don't doubt that it couldn't happen...

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
quote:

What bearing?

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Getting excited either way can't wait to drive her

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

front wheel bearing problems. as far as i know the cortex spindle will fix that issue. unless Griggs has com up with a remedy for this. and even then if the car is street driven what kind of turning radius do you get from some of these suspensions.
Turnning radius seems to be the biggest complaint I hear from vintage mustang guys who alter the entire front suspension and still drive it on the street.

[ 2013-08-26, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: v-town coupe ]

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

forgot to mention, headers seem to be a big issue as well with aftermarket suspensions, so make sure your ready to spend or build depending on your motor, suspension setup. of course anything that doesnt require you to drastically alter the car will be easier to find headers.
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Going to be using my sn95 spindles ,and with this streetortrack kit does this use the stock k member ? I didn't see anything as far as that goes ... And like I said before the car will occasionally see the track but very rarely. I have a '90 coupe that has maximum 3 link set up and will soon have the maximum front set up for hitting the twisties drag strip more more often the my fastback as I will be to worried about messing that car up ...(FB)

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com