Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Looking into buying an entry level welder.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking into buying an entry level welder.
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I really want to get into welding, basically exhaust and maybe stuff around the house or whatever I may need it for. I've been reading a lot of forums and hear lots of good reviews on the Lincoln Electric K2188-1 HD http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pack-HD-Feed-Welder-K2188-1/100031840?N=wp
I really like this gasless wire feed flux core model, it sounds like it will suit my needs and is right in my price range. Anyone use this model or anything similar?

[ 2013-08-21, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: 92_5.0 ]

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think you will be happy with that. flux core is not going to penetrate as well and its messy, sounds nice until you actually need to weld something. I know its quite a big step up, but hands down the best buy imo is the millermatic 211

--------------------
91' Notch

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
I don't think you will be happy with that. flux core is not going to penetrate as well and its messy, sounds nice until you actually need to weld something. I know its quite a big step up, but hands down the best buy imo is the millermatic 211

I use a 212 at work and it's the best welder I've ever used. At my house I use a Passport Plus since I take it to friends houses and weld stuff for them, that is also a fine welder.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lincoln 180 is decent.get something that can go 110v and 220v.miller has one for 1800 that does mig tig and stick..the miller passport is hella nice also.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wish I could afford something better, but my price range is around $300 tops [patriot]
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
I wish I could afford something better, but my price range is around $300 tops [patriot]

Save your money up and buy a used 1. It's not worth the time to by a small welder. You can find good used ones for $700-1k on craigslist. You have to remember if you buy that kit. You still need about $300-500 worth of stuff to buy, just to use it. You need a tank, gloves, a real helmet. that stuff adds up quick. Best to buy someone else's set up.

[ 2013-08-21, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is a nice entry level Mig Welder for $350.00, It will do flux core and gas depending on what you're looking to do. It comes with both wires and all the necesarry gauges for the bottle. Pick up a cheapy auto darkening welding helmet at Harbor freight for $35.00 and you're good to go.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332691_200332691

-

[ 2013-08-23, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: CAStang ]

Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
69stang
¯
Member # 5609

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 69stang  Ford pictures for 69stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just get the one you were looking at... I have it as my starter welder

--------------------
1968 firebird- sold
1992 mustang gt - sold
1969 mustang coupe- current project

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check out Eastwood for a good entry level MIG welder. If you are looking to do automotive work I wouldn't use flux core wire. Reason being that there is a ton of spatter and you will have to do a ton of post clean up for acceptable visual results. Remember you can usually use a mig welder with flux core wire , but you usually cannot connect a bottle to a flux core welder. One feature that I would look for when purchasing a welder is infinitely adjustable voltage and wire speed , a lot of the time the factory reccomended settings get you close to what you need but if you have the adjustment inbetween the numbers and letters you can dial It in perfect, especially if you are gonna be doing overhead welding (exhaust) . Lmk if you have any questions . For reference I bought a Lincoln sp135 110v mig welder for my sheetmetal and exhaust work anything bigger I use my tig welder since I haven't saved enough for a 220v mig YET haha!
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here you go dude 300$ free shipping from eastwood! and I think if you buy online you don't pay tax? I have never used this 110, but my cousin just bought the 220 and he is very happy with it. in my opinion you cant find a better deal.. and for the time being if you don't have the money for a bottle and related things to set it up for mig you can throw some flux core wire in there switch the polarity and your set!

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

I don't work for eastwood by the way lol

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:

Lincoln 140 or 180 can be had for under $500 new. There is a guy on CRAIGS LIST who sells them new for under $500. He's supposedly a dealer. My buddy got the 140 for $325 then went and bought a bottle.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Something I just learned about welding that you might consider. I've had a Hobart 135 for 15 years and have been welding things for that long. To my disappointment my welds never got any better in that time, until recently. I just had a dedicated 20 amp circuit installed in my garage and to my surprise the welds now look beautiful instead of the usual "snot" welds. I've been welding on 15 amp circuits all this time and I guess that's not enough even though I wasn't tripping the breaker. Never thought it would make such a big difference.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a small Lincoln 110V welder 3500HD Weld Pack. It works perfectly fine for small stuff even when using flux core wire. Down the road you can upgrade it to gas pretty easily. Along with the 20amp breaker, be sure to but a quality extension cord as well.
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com