Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Out of my league? Advice needed from experienced wrenchers...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Out of my league? Advice needed from experienced wrenchers...
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of buying/starting a project with a fox roller. The car is essentially a shell, but for what I want to do with the car (built termi swap) that seems to be the best starting point. I've had a couple of mustangs in the past and can handle minor bolt on installs/brake & tune up work, but have never tried my hand at anything beyond that. Some of you grew up wrenching on cars in your family; as much as my dad loved cars, his trade was computers. I've been fortunate enough to learn a few things from some really talented guys on the board, but I don't know if I have what it takes to go down this road.

There is, without a doubt, some work which I know I'll need a shop to handle (almost everything with the engine), but when I start thinking about electrical, re-installing the entire interior, fuel system, suspension, so on and so forth - I feel, for lack of a better word, intimidated. Part of me is confidant I could figure it out… I mean, I'm good with my hands, instructions, and understanding how things work - but without ever having done anything like this before, am I better off just saving 25K and buying the car of my dreams (since that's what a well built termi-swap fetches these days)?

I know this could take years, lots of money, and a lot of frustration - but the thought of doing it from the ground up, or at least part of it, really gets me fired up. Anyway, some of you guys know much better than I when it comes to building cars, so I value and look forward to your input.

Thanks!

Scott

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would think it shouldn't be that hard. Lots of people have done these swaps. Most of it is straight forward work. I think almost any one with even a little skill, the right tools, and a computer could do it. Yes it is going to take you some time. Yes you are going to have days were you want to burn the car down. But I think you should be able to get it done. Even if you have to buy some beer and some steaks for a couple of buddies to help you with some things you can't do.

[ 2013-08-16, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always find that taking a lot of pictures of things really helps when putting it all back together. Also zip lock baggies and a marker to keep track of what screws/bolts go where [Smile]

Also if you build it with your own hands you will love that car 500% more than if you purchased it.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
I would think it shouldn't be that hard. Lots of people have done these swaps. Most of it is straight forward work. I think almost any one with even a little skill, the right tools, and a computer could do it. Yes it is going to take you some time. Yes you are going to have days were you want to burn the car down. But I think you should be able to get it done. Even if you have to buy some beer and some steaks for a couple of buddies to help you with some things you can't do.

+1

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unless youre mechnically inclined, motivated and have the time to finish this sort of job, i would say either:
1. pony up and spend the money to have someone else do it.
2. find a car that is already done but be prepared to spend abotu 15k-25k for a completed car. most of the ones priced at 15k have minor quirks youll need to live w/ or just fix yourself. also since we're talking about a old ass fox most banks willnot finance for these dollar amounts, ull need to come out of pocket for majority of it. got a $20k cash burning in your pocket?
3. dump the project and get something else.

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My main advice would be if you aren't sure then wait a while and get more familiar with the process, people don't realize how much work actually goes into building a car of that caliber. You basically have to understand every system in that car. It seems easy until it comes time to diagnose why it doesn't start, or any other little problem that arises.. Also do you have the space secured? A project of that magnitude is gonna take at least 4-6 months if you already have the funds secured.. Then you also have to get the tools , basic hand tools will do most of it but there will most likely be cutting and welding, lengthining and shortening wires . If you look at all this and decide you think you can do it then go for it! There is nothing more satisfying than the first time you start that baby up and take it out for the first drive( once the nerves wear off haha)
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89foxstang:
My main advice would be if you aren't sure then wait a while and get more familiar with the process, people don't realize how much work actually goes into building a car of that caliber. You basically have to understand every system in that car. It seems easy until it comes time to diagnose why it doesn't start, or any other little problem that arises.. Also do you have the space secured? A project of that magnitude is gonna take at least 4-6 months if you already have the funds secured.. Then you also have to get the tools , basic hand tools will do most of it but there will most likely be cutting and welding, lengthining and shortening wires . If you look at all this and decide you think you can do it then go for it! There is nothing more satisfying than the first time you start that baby up and take it out for the first drive( once the nerves wear off haha)

lol @ 4-6 months. Been doing a 5.7 efi hemi swap into a 72 demon for the last 3 years.. Of course. Foxes are a lot easier & cheaper to get parts for than custom Mopar parts.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id say but a termi, cheaper in the long run an you dont have to worry about it if its parked outside

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i encourage you to start on it. hopefully, you'll get about 75% complete and decide that its not for you. post it up for sale and i'll snatch it up to finish it [Razz] .

all kidding aside, if you have the patience, space, and money just go for it.

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the great responses and solid advice! This car has been a dream of mine for some time now, there's really nothing else that I have a desire to own.

I'm 50/50 at this point, definitely will consider what everyone has said.

Happy Friday! [burnout]

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
quote:
Originally posted by 89foxstang:

lol @ 4-6 months. Been doing a 5.7 efi hemi swap into a 72 demon for the last 3 years.. Of course. Foxes are a lot easier & cheaper to get parts for than custom Mopar parts.
^ lol that's why I said if you have the funds secured.. 4-6 months is def doable for that swap in your garage! But yea I def feel the lack of funds pain haha been workin on a 6.8 swap into a Lincoln for a couple years just seems like when I have money there is no time and when I have time there is no money lol!!
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm one of those guys that came from a family of gearheads. I find that the hardest part of any job is making sure you have everything you need to complete it. The proper tools is hands down the most important thing to complete any job. One of those tools is information. Read EVERYTHING you can on doing the swap. Buy manuals for both the Fox and Terminator so if you have a question about what something does, where's it's located or how it's connected, you'll have both manuals to help figure it out. Also, don't get in a rush. If you get stuck on something, take a break and come back to it later. If you still can't figure it out, CAFords and Corral.net are the best resources for doing stuff like this.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just have patience that what i learned.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
I'm one of those guys that came from a family of gearheads. I find that the hardest part of any job is making sure you have everything you need to complete it. The proper tools is hands down the most important thing to complete any job. One of those tools is information. Read EVERYTHING you can on doing the swap. Buy manuals for both the Fox and Terminator so if you have a question about what something does, where's it's located or how it's connected, you'll have both manuals to help figure it out. Also, don't get in a rush. If you get stuck on something, take a break and come back to it later. If you still can't figure it out, CAFords and Corral.net are the best resources for doing stuff like this.

Thanks, great advice!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com