Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » AOD Build

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: AOD Build
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to attempt to update this post as I go. I got tired of not being able to drive on the freeway since putting the c4 in my car so I decided to build a aod a while back and have been slowly accumulating parts to do so. Now that I'm working at a tranny shop again, getting what I need became a little easier.

I tore down the only E9 aod core I had and unfortunately some dipshit didn't put the converter in all the way in and started the car and carnage ensued. So all that was really useable what the case and planets. Not all bad since all the cast drums are getting replace with aode/4r70w stamped drums. Instead of screwing around pulling down cores searching for good used drums I decided to just order new ones since the stamped ones can get pretty beat up. I also ordered a new 36 tooth sun gear shell which is required to run a stamped drum with AOD planets.
I'll be using a 1 piece input shaft and deleting lockup and will be running a Art Carr transbrake manual valvebody. I'm going to try to get 8 dynax high energy clutches in direct, 4 dynax intermediates, 4 raybestos stage 1's in reverse and raybestos stages 1's for forward. OD will get a raybestos pro series band and billet servo. Probably left out some details but I'll get more specific as I build it.

-

-

Posts: 327 | From: Lost Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  :
sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good luck man how much is something like that run

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
9165pt0
¯
Member # 7625

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9165pt0  Ford pictures for 9165pt0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
keep us posted. interested to see how it turns out.
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sleeping stallion:

Unfortunately these aren't cheap units to build. Used cores can be a real crap shoot which is why I decided to go with as many new parts as I can. My new boss has been cool as fuck and giving me the parts at his cost so that will definitely help. When I finish I'll do a parts breakdown and determine what I have into this.

The valvebody is used and I've had it for a while but I don't remember what I paid for it. Transbrake v.b.'s seem to be around $700+ new, the one piece input is about $200 and I talked to Alan at dirty dog and he can build me a suitable converter for around $800.

What I'm doing is the opposite of what most people do. Instead of having too much motor for my trans, I'll have way more trans than my motor needs. But it will give me plenty of room to grow. It should be a badass unit.

I get tired of reading about people going through used aod after used aod and then complaining about how shitty they are so hopefully this will provide some insight into what it takes to build one the right way.

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice! Ive been waiting for somebody to do this ever since I heard about using the later aode internals.

Ill be taking notes!

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's bad ass good luck keep us updated

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 707iiii:
quote:
Originally posted by sleeping stallion:

Unfortunately these aren't cheap units to build. Used cores can be a real crap shoot which is why I decided to go with as many new parts as I can. My new boss has been cool as fuck and giving me the parts at his cost so that will definitely help. When I finish I'll do a parts breakdown and determine what I have into this.

The valvebody is used and I've had it for a while but I don't remember what I paid for it. Transbrake v.b.'s seem to be around $700+ new, the one piece input is about $200 and I talked to Alan at dirty dog and he can build me a suitable converter for around $800.

What I'm doing is the opposite of what most people do. Instead of having too much motor for my trans, I'll have way more trans than my motor needs. But it will give me plenty of room to grow. It should be a badass unit.

I get tired of reading about people going through used aod after used aod and then complaining about how shitty they are so hopefully this will provide some insight into what it takes to build one the right way.

Def get a 1 piece input shaft, the standard aod 2 piece is one of the main weak links in aod's and #1 cause of breakage. Will u be fabing a 1 piece from a 4r70w or getting a custom made one?
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

^^^ yeah, I planned on the 1 piece from get go. I'll probably get one of Alan's (dirty dog) 300m shafts. I do have a machinist that can make one but the cost of 300m is stupid expensive and I'd probably pay more than the $195 for Alan's just for the round bar and would still have to pay my machinist to turn it down and cut the splines.
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Did a little more screwing around at the shop today. I'll try and make this as picture heavy as possible but once I get on a roll it's sometimes hard to stop just to wash my hands to take pictures.

Output shaft is a full splined 3 ring shaft from a 4R75 and is supposedly strong enough for 700-ish ft./lbs. of torque. With a manual valve body there is no governor so no need for a 4 ring shaft. Who needs a working speedometer anyway?
 -

This is the forward drum out of the unit I got the output shaft from. It tried to explode.
 -

Here's the mechanical diode reverse drum. It's really common for the snapring to blow off and cause carnage so the Sonnax spiral lock is mandatory even on stock builds.
 -

Spiral lock installed
 -

Another one of the most common failures are the direct clutches so solid teflon rings are a must. Newer 4R's have them but aod's used a scarf cut.

Installing the solid rings
 -
 -

Before sizing the rings
 -

Sizing the rings
 -
 -

Sized and ready to rock
 -

Gear train cleaned and inspected. I'm still waiting for my stamped drum 36 tooth sun gear shell so the one pictured is for the cast drum.
 -

Here's why I just bought a new shell. You can see where the lugs on the reverse drum beat the hell out of the shell and I didn't want to screw around with a used one only to get it here and it be junk. Used ones go for $50-75 and Ford had one in Beaver Dam Wisconsin for $120-ish.
 -

I'm going to order the rest of the frictions on Monday along with a torrington bearing kit and I should be able to get the input coming after next payday. Then the fun will really begin.

4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wish I knew Transmissions.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very nice write up .. cant wait to see how this turns out! [Wink]

[ 2013-07-13, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Dug through some of my bastard boxes I kept from when our shop closed down and came up on some seals and a bushing kit. I should be able to get some of the other miscellaneous stuff at work so I won't need to buy a paper and rubber kit.
 -
 -

Stator support cooler flow mod:

pluck out the aluminum plug
 -
throw away steel ball and spring
 -
pound aluminum plug back in
 -

Reverse drum ready for clutches
 -

Intermediate pressure plates:
4R70 4 clutch pressure plate on the left and aod on the right.
 -

Did a trial stackup of the direct clutches and 8 isn't going to happen without using thin steels which isn't a good idea, so 7 it is. Even with 7 I'll need to have a step machined into the pressure plate to get proper clearence.
 -

[ 2013-07-28, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: 707iiii ]

707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Got my sun gear shell. It had a bit of surface rust that required a short little scotch-brite session. It must have been on the shelf for the last 15 years.
 -

Also found some dynax intermediate clutches at work.
 -

These are some old fmx brass/copper clutches. I read an older magazine article about lentech where Len say's he insists on using these for reverse in high horsepower transbrake applications and my boss happened to have four hanging on the wall he let me have, so I'm thinking I may try them out.
 -

Now I need to do some healing before I get back to this unit. Not even a full 2 weeks at my new job and I almost smashed my pinky finger off. It only required 4 stitches and then on sunday I inadvertently punched something and cut my knuckle on my other hand which I didn't think it was a big deal, didn't seem too bad. I just taped it up with a leftover steri-strip from last weeks e-room visit. Then after work last night on my porch I saw a spider crawling across my knee and without much thought I reached down and flicked it off and heard a loud crack followed by excruciating pain in the same knuckle I cut the night before and my hand started instantly growing. Went to the hospital today and had x-rays but nothing was broken so they put me on antibiotics for what they believe is an infection.

I'm a little frustrated at this point. Almost ten years at aamco and never had any kind of injury that required medical attention. Hell, I haven't been to an emergency room for 15 years and now I've been 2 times in less than a week. WTF.

Anyways, hope I heal up quick so I can move forward and get this trans built.

[ 2013-07-16, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: 707iiii ]

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NICE! [worship] That is something I would love to learn how to do.. hope your ok!

[ 2013-07-16, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
t-top50
¯
Member # 2735

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t-top50  Ford pictures for t-top50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hurry up and heal up. I got a AOD for you to build.

On a serious note, nice write up and I really do have a AOD for you if you want to do another. Hit me on PM.

--------------------
87GT t-top
00 Saleen (clone)
97 E350 7.3 diesel

Posts: 2522 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Love the write up n this build. Great info and gives me hope for my AOD as well, I know a lot of people are not big fans of AOD's but I've heard good things about them and I want my car to be as streetable as possible.

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Thanks guys, I'm on the mend. The antibiotics are definitely shrinking my hand and the stitches on the other come out Sunday. It's funny how the simplest things like wiping your ass become a challenge when you don't have working hands.

Nothing too exiting on the trans but I did track down a full splined 4R output with provision for a speedo so I won't have to give that up. I ended up building the 4r75 I got the first output from at work to put on the shelf.
 -

Also, free craigslist transmissions ftw. I responded to an add for a free C-6 and was pleasantly surprised to see a aod sitting on the floor. Can never have enough cores.
 -

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn just seen the post hope you heal ok ..nice find too

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
Damn just seen the post hope you heal ok ..nice find too

Thanks Daniel, I'm getting there. Still been able to knock out a unit a day at work but need some help here and there with a few little things.

[ 2013-07-26, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: 707iiii ]

707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Finally got a little more done.

Got new pump gears, the body and old gears looked good but gears are cheap.
 -

Intermediate piston install
 -
 -

Pump all torqued and ready.
 -

reverse drum stacked up with the copper plates. Forgot to mention earlier that I drilled a .045" hole in the piston to help aid transbrake release. I guess aod transbrake valvebodies can be slowish to release.
 -

I'm going to try and get my direct pressure plate machined tomorrow and hopefully order the input in the next few days. Still need to order the forward clutches and then I'll be able to stack it all up in the case.

[ 2013-07-26, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: 707iiii ]

707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Got the direct pressure plate machined yesterday. Haven't checked clearence yet but it looks like it'll be good.
 -

If I need to adjust clearence, I'll turn to my selective snap ring collection to dial it in.
 -

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com