Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Any Boxer owners (dog)?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Boxer owners (dog)?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My kids and wife have been wanting a "big" dog for a while now and we narrowed it down to a Boxer. We have a 4 yr old Boston Terrier who seems to be getting bored at home, so we're hoping a male puppy will cheer her up a bit lol. Anyway, does anyone know anything about this breed of dog? I've always wanted one since I was younger and did a bunch of research on them, but does anyone have any good tips for me before we pick up our new pup? Anything I should know about them that I may have missed on the Internet? Any tips on how to acquaint the puppy with our 4 yr old female Boston?

Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had a boxer once full breed at the same time I had 2 pits (younger) the boxer came in and took over the house he protected the pits (females) he was a male. And protected the house but just like pits they have a lot of energy I would say more need a lot of attention walking playing petting etc... great dogs they really are and they are very very strong animals just like any other dog raise it as you want him to be don't just dump him in the backyard and expect him to educate himself

PS: great jumpers so some good toys hanging will really keep him happy. [burnout]

[ 2013-07-07, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: SLOWFOX ]

--------------------
" A Wolf under sheep's clothing"-svoRICK 2/10/12
Almost everything I asked for.

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a American bulldog/boxer mix and a pure bred American bulldogs and their the best dogs. Really nice and playful but protect when need be. They both get along with kids well also.
Boxer's tend to live 7-10 years. The problems I know that normally come with boxer's are seizures, cancer, and hip problems over 5 years old. There's more but can't tgink of them off the top of my head

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWFOX:
just like any other dog raise it as you want him to be don't just dump him in the backyard and expect him to educate himself

[burnout]

This statement right here is some serious kung fu master words of wisdom!! I salute you for being an intelligent human being, slowfox [patriot]

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They're a very energetic breed from what I've heard

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are awesome dogs!! My dad used to be a breeder when I was really young. I grew up on Boxers and am a fan for life. They do require a big back yard and lots of exercise, But are great with kids! of course this is all said, if you get a dog that has been raised right,etc. That goes the same for any breed.

if your looking for a pet dont bother with a dog that has papers. theres a few boxer rescues in the area.

Once my current dog has passed on we will be Getting another.

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RedBaron:
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWFOX:
just like any other dog raise it as you want him to be don't just dump him in the backyard and expect him to educate himself

[burnout]

This statement right here is some serious kung fu master words of wisdom!! I salute you for being an intelligent human being, slowfox [patriot]
Thank you sir when I had dogs they were my passion and love man I cried when they were ill and paid big ass amounts of money for them but most important was giving them attention.

--------------------

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my boxer is about 2 now and they are great breeds. He is very kid friendly and loves attention. But when you put him in your car, just make sure nobody tries to put there hands thru the window, if he/she don't know them. Very clean dog as well, doesn't have that stinky body odor. And boxers love water! We take him up to the lake on your boat and he'll jump right off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri3jroUp3rE

[ 2013-07-08, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think we are going to be putting a deposit on a pup today. Both parents are on site and they're definitely purebred but not papered (not a concern for me).

Anyone have a boxer and another dog as well? How do they interact together?

--------------------

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think we are going to be putting a deposit on a pup today. Both parents are on site and they're definitely purebred but not papered (not a concern for me).

Anyone have a boxer and another dog as well? How do they interact together?

If it's a pup it'll get along just fine with anything you raise it with. Just have to get the other dog to get used to it.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Put a deposit on a male boxer pup today! Pick him up on August 13th! My kids decided to name him "TYSON" [Big Grin]

-

--------------------

Broke4.6
¯
Member # 9085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broke4.6  Ford pictures for Broke4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive got a female boxer , my wife and i have had her since she was 2 and shes 6 now...they are HIGH energy dogs, they dont do well in the heat outside because they dont have sweat glans so they like to be inside in the cool with plunty of water...

they are very loving and very protective animals...its kinda crazy to watch but my dog has gotten WAY more protective of the house now that my wifes pregnant, its like she knows shes gotta have the house on lock!! very good gaurd dogs too, you wouldnt think untill someone comes in the house they dont know when your not there!! my grandma almost got attacked by mine the other day cause she didnt reckonize her when she came in the door when nobody was home...needed her here for the dish guy!!

Its the only dog i will ever have now..want another one as soon as the baby is born!

--------------------
01 GT -lazer red- 32v swap

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Broke4.6...that's good to hear! Aside from wanting a big dog for my Boston to have a friend to play with, we decided on a Boxer because of their protective instincts. I have two little kids at home and my wife works nights. When she's home in the daytime with my son, she wants a big dog to watch her back.It's sad but true... we live in a cold world and you just never know. My Boston terrier doesn't bark at all and lounges around all day, so she's pretty useless as a guard/alert dog lol! I'm pretty excited about bringing home the puppy next month. I've had a handful of dogs growing up and always wanted a Boxer, but never got one. Now that I have my own family and house, it's about that time [Big Grin]

--------------------

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What were the parents like? We had 2 boxers, both got cancer and died a few months apart from eachother about a yr ago.. Great dogs with people and other animals, they listened so well and were very smart.
Our female though had a white mom, the white boxers or the boxers with albino genes have a lot of skin issues, that was a common problem if seemed, was they have sensitive skin, other then that enjoy your pup man, u will love him. Just pay attention for any skin defects and u should be all good.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

The parents were both full bred boxers (from what it looks like). Both fawn in color and good sized. There were two of the six pups that were white (albino) but we opted for a fawn one. Both parents seemed nice when we visited both times so I'm hoping the puppy has a similar demeanor when he grows up. The mom did have a rash, but according to the owner she got it during pregnancy and he couldn't give her medicine because she was pregnant.

--------------------

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya bro rashes from the heat happen with them so be careful, one parent of our female had the albino in them but my female came out fawn but still had the skin problems just cause it was in her blood line, both mine were full breeds too, just keep an eye on him in the sun and u will be all good, u will love that dog for sure man.
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

How much you pay? Pm Me if prefer.. nice looking pup man and Tyson is a common boxer name but fits them well [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

$500...non-papered and not a breeder. I think they only have one white male pup left. I got lucky with this puppy because another guy put a deposit on him but backed out over the weekend so the owner called me back and said I can get him if I wanted to. if you're interested in the white male send me a PM with your phone number and I'll send you the guys info.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com