Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Home Warranty Companies ie: Fidelity, AHS, ect

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Home Warranty Companies ie: Fidelity, AHS, ect
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What have been your experiences filing a claim? I've been living a nightmare dealing with Fidelity Home Warranty and my HVAC being broken.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are difficult to deal with, especially fidelity who I carry but if you can push paper and play their waiting games and escalate your concerns they will pay up.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AHS has been "ok", as in, at least I got partially reimbursed. Where you get screwed is on the code upgrade area. AHS offers a policy which covers repairs and code upgrades- can be worth the money, if your house is over 15 years old.

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

Bad ass cobra
¯
Member # 11448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad ass cobra  Ford pictures for Bad ass cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im a plumbing contractor in the peninsula area. I use to do alot of work for home warranty companies in the past, and my experience with them is that they don't cover alot of stuff that they say they do. Make sure you read the fine print. I had a customer that had a leak in the wall after diagnosing the issue called them to get auth for repair, they would not auth due to it being in the wall and that's pretty stupid bc the way I look at it is if the homeowner could see inside of the wall I'm pretty sure they would get it repaired, me personally wouldn't buy the homeowners warranty.

--------------------
1993 ford cobra
2005 BMW 745i
2004 Mercedes E320

rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have Fidelity also. My a/c went out last Friday. I called Fidelity on Saturday morning and they told me their contract vendors were booked out a week plus, but that I could hire a sub contractor. Naturally, I agreed, went on-line and found the company with the most positive reviews.

The company came out diagnosed the system as having a faulty fan motor and capacitor. The company said that if the system was repaired there was no guarantee the condenser was not damage and recommended a full system change out.

After diagnosing the system, the company called Fidelity for authorization to repair or replace the system. Fidelity naturally denied the claim saying the company was to expensive. I attempted to step in and work with the authorization associate at Fidelity and was amazed at how unprofessional their staff was. Upon asking for a supervisor, I was hung up on and placed back in the queue: this happened twice. Each time I was hung up on, I had to wait 45 minutes to speak to someone.

Finally, I spoke to someone who appeared to want to listen and help. This associate offered $75.00 credit toward a fan or potable a/c and stated he agreed the system needed to be replaced, but needed an estimate.

At this point, it was 730 on Saturday and the sub contractor closed for the weekend. On Monday, I attempted to get an estimate to replace the system. By Tuesday, I had a written quote of $7,500 to replace the a/c, and furnace with Lennox equipment.

Fidelity responded and said no, but that they would offer me a check for a cash in lieu of their own vendor putting in a new system. We never got into numbers, but it was somewhere near $1,000 and no where close to the $7,500 estimate I was quoted. So, instead, I asked that Fidelity send their HVAC vendor out to diagnosis the system and make the repairs or replace the system.

The first person I talked to told me it would be at least another 5-9 days before a service contractor would be available. Mind you, I have a nine month old daughter, an unhappy wife and its 90+ degrees in my house and probably another 10+ hotter upstairs. Basically, the house is unlivable with the baby, so we stayed at a family member's house. I explained how unhappy I was and asked they attempt to find something sooner. Fidelity was able to find a company from the Bay Area that would come to Roseville to diagnosis the system in approximately five days. A completely different topic, but the people home warranty companies contract with have the worst reviews.

By Wednesday, I found the phone number on google for the local Fidelity Sale Rep and explained my story. She was helpful and able to find a vendor to come out on Friday of this last week.

On Friday, upon showing up, the vendor is very polite and professional. He goes through his checklist and I share the report the sub contractor provided me. The vendor laughed and said the only problem with the unit was the circuit breaker. After replacing the breaker and charging the system, the a/c turns on blows cold and the vendor leaves. After approximately 45 minutes, the a/c unit is screaming. I go outside and see that the unit is on, but the fan motor is not working and fan is not spinning.

I take a video of what's happening and then call the vendor. Over the phone he diagnosis the problem as being a bad capacitor. The vendor comes back out to fix the problem only to realize he does not have the part he needs.

The vendor promised to have the part tomorrow and have the problem solved. At about 100pm on Saturday, the vendor said he was in his way. The vendor arrived and replaced the capacitor with no issue and then the vendor left.

After approximately 45-60 minutes, system is screaming and doing exactly what it was doing before. I made a video and called the vendor. This time he said it needs a fan motor and he needs to order that.

So, 7 days of no a/c , 100+ temperatures and still unknown problem with my a/c I am not happy with my home warranty. It's been nothing, but a nightmare.

I feel like my only recourse is to litigate the issue and share my experiences with the BBB and the California State Insurance Commissioner.

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they all suck!

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuck man that sucks

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, warranty companies are sweet, right?
Of course, the rep's job, above all, is to save the corporation money, right?
Man, post pics and some kinda links about your ac issues- there are a few guys here that do hvac, and a bunch more guys with common sense, and prior experience.
Either way, I will say this: How much did your warranty cost you this year? 6-700?
If they offered over that for cash out, take it, and consider it a good return on investment. The problem youre running in to is that the Bay area is expensive as hell, and these warranty people are based in cheaper areas of the USA. Just sayin' take what you can get, these guys are in the business of not paying for shit.

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what I have heard from everyone that I know who purchased them is that they always do the minimum. They do not care if your old stuff keeps breaking they will always try to fix, not replace. I would take them to small claims court for the quote you were given to fix the A/C, I believe the maximum is $7500 in small claims. It is my experience from representing my last company in small claims court several times that big business almost always loses. Good Luck!

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My home warranty was included in the purchase of my home. After one year I'll have the option to renew. I believe the cost to renew the warranty is $450. For years, my dad had AHS and although they had their battles, they were never as difficult to deal with as Fidelity.

This morning, I made an additional call and got the authorization to replace the condensing unit. Fidelity uses Carrier Systems. I'm sure they use the cheapest low end stuff possible, but I've heard there is industry standards. I think my system is a split system, 5 ton, 13 seer. Right now the unit is a Gooman.

As mentioned, home warranty companies use not only the cheapest parts, but also the cheapest contractor. I'm not surprised by that fact because the company would not stay in business long, nor would it be a good business model to use the most expensive parts and replace a product every time. It is entertaining to go online and read the horror stories others have has with warranty companies though. Site like consumer reports and Yelp have nothing, but 1-2 star ratings and would probably have negative ratings if allowed.

If this gets done this week, I'll be happy and use it as a lesson learned. I guess ultimately, I could litigate the matter and claim damages for loss of use and pain/ suffering..Haha. Too much effort I could put into something else though. At the end of the day, I just want to be comfortable in my home after busting my ass at work.

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good luck with litigation. Im sure there is some fine print in there that they will somehow pull out of their ass. I would chalk it up as a lesson learned and not renew.

Make friends with some people in the trades. It will help if you own a home.

[ 2013-07-07, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rgtrahn:
I have Fidelity also. My a/c went out last Friday. I called Fidelity on Saturday morning and they told me their contract vendors were booked out a week plus, but that I could hire a sub contractor. Naturally, I agreed, went on-line and found the company with the most positive reviews.

The company came out diagnosed the system as having a faulty fan motor and capacitor. The company said that if the system was repaired there was no guarantee the condenser was not damage and recommended a full system change out.

After diagnosing the system, the company called Fidelity for authorization to repair or replace the system. Fidelity naturally denied the claim saying the company was to expensive. I attempted to step in and work with the authorization associate at Fidelity and was amazed at how unprofessional their staff was. Upon asking for a supervisor, I was hung up on and placed back in the queue: this happened twice. Each time I was hung up on, I had to wait 45 minutes to speak to someone.

Finally, I spoke to someone who appeared to want to listen and help. This associate offered $75.00 credit toward a fan or potable a/c and stated he agreed the system needed to be replaced, but needed an estimate.

At this point, it was 730 on Saturday and the sub contractor closed for the weekend. On Monday, I attempted to get an estimate to replace the system. By Tuesday, I had a written quote of $7,500 to replace the a/c, and furnace with Lennox equipment.

Fidelity responded and said no, but that they would offer me a check for a cash in lieu of their own vendor putting in a new system. We never got into numbers, but it was somewhere near $1,000 and no where close to the $7,500 estimate I was quoted. So, instead, I asked that Fidelity send their HVAC vendor out to diagnosis the system and make the repairs or replace the system.

The first person I talked to told me it would be at least another 5-9 days before a service contractor would be available. Mind you, I have a nine month old daughter, an unhappy wife and its 90+ degrees in my house and probably another 10+ hotter upstairs. Basically, the house is unlivable with the baby, so we stayed at a family member's house. I explained how unhappy I was and asked they attempt to find something sooner. Fidelity was able to find a company from the Bay Area that would come to Roseville to diagnosis the system in approximately five days. A completely different topic, but the people home warranty companies contract with have the worst reviews.

By Wednesday, I found the phone number on google for the local Fidelity Sale Rep and explained my story. She was helpful and able to find a vendor to come out on Friday of this last week.

On Friday, upon showing up, the vendor is very polite and professional. He goes through his checklist and I share the report the sub contractor provided me. The vendor laughed and said the only problem with the unit was the circuit breaker. After replacing the breaker and charging the system, the a/c turns on blows cold and the vendor leaves. After approximately 45 minutes, the a/c unit is screaming. I go outside and see that the unit is on, but the fan motor is not working and fan is not spinning.

I take a video of what's happening and then call the vendor. Over the phone he diagnosis the problem as being a bad capacitor. The vendor comes back out to fix the problem only to realize he does not have the part he needs.

The vendor promised to have the part tomorrow and have the problem solved. At about 100pm on Saturday, the vendor said he was in his way. The vendor arrived and replaced the capacitor with no issue and then the vendor left.

After approximately 45-60 minutes, system is screaming and doing exactly what it was doing before. I made a video and called the vendor. This time he said it needs a fan motor and he needs to order that.

So, 7 days of no a/c , 100+ temperatures and still unknown problem with my a/c I am not happy with my home warranty. It's been nothing, but a nightmare.

I feel like my only recourse is to litigate the issue and share my experiences with the BBB and the California State Insurance Commissioner.

Touch the condensor fan motor after it shuts off. If its too hot to touch then thats the problem. When u change the fan motor ur suppose to change the capacitor as welll. Seems like u already changed the contactor and capacitor. Only thing left is the fan. Then compressor is just goin crazy because there's nothin there to cool it...

Take the fan out and get another one at Grainger. They're like $100. All u need is an 11/32 nut driver. GL

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn man, that sucks. My ac stopped working on the 4th. My house is only 9 years old so for something to go out on it, I was pissed. Called a 24 hr repairman and said that he couldn't make it out until the 5th, which I kind a gathered considering it was 115 where I was and thats seems to be a peak time for ac repairs, so we made an appointment for saturday morning. A friend of mine called me and said he had a simliar problem and is pretty sure it was a capacitor. My friend comes out and sure enough capacitor was bad (bubbled up). My friend isn't an experienced HVAC guy so I still wanted a "professional" opinion. Repair guy comes out and does exactly what my friend did, tested the capacitor and says yep I need to replace this before I can test anything else. Hits me with a low end quote of 225.00.... for a capacitor. I told repair dude that I feel that is a bit high for just a capacitor, and have some other companies coming out to look at it. I called up some electrical supply stores including other AC repair companies, and find the capacitor for 35.00. Replaced the capacitor and hit the thermostat... now its a cool 78 in my house.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com