Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Stock 5.0 Block Splits with Girdle (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stock 5.0 Block Splits with Girdle
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy split his stock 5.0 block 347 with 60mm turbo and it had a girdle, they don't work!!! He has an R-block now, has gone 10.50s with a 60mm turbo and 10lbs of boost, E85 and meth injection, he will be trying 14lbs very soon, and yes he is going for 9s with a Cobra intake.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Valley girdles don't work either?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Valley girdles don't work either?

Nope doesn't look like it will help the rest of the block from cracking

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
frans car!!!!

I hate to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO!!

These girdles are not the business!

Dont do shit to add main webbing material!

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks fir posting this.....told u neight a nick lol

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It seems to me that the blocks that crack with girdles are mostly pretty high up there in horsepower. Like more than you should really try to make on a non boss/dart/351w block anyway. A turbo 347 on e85 & meth? How much power was this making at the crank? 600+?

My point is that the girdles may not make an E block anywhere near as strong as a boss block, but maybe it'll allow another 50hp more than without the girdles? Helping the mains stay in place better and not walking around so much should help something no? I tend to think of the main girdle kind of like sub frame connectors. Tie in all of the pieces along the way and it will make them all a little stronger. The fact that block held up as a 347 with a turbo on e85 & meth at all is pretty amazing to me.

Not saying you're wrong, just throwing out some points that I thought made sense.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
It seems to me that the blocks that crack with girdles are mostly pretty high up there in horsepower. Like more than you should really try to make on a non boss/dart/351w block anyway. A turbo 347 on e85 & meth? How much power was this making at the crank? 600+?

My point is that the girdles may not make an E block anywhere near as strong as a boss block, but maybe it'll allow another 50hp more than without the girdles? Helping the mains stay in place better and not walking around so much should help something no? I tend to think of the main girdle kind of like sub frame connectors. Tie in all of the pieces along the way and it will make them all a little stronger. The fact that block held up as a 347 with a turbo on e85 & meth at all is pretty amazing to me.

Not saying you're wrong, just throwing out some points that I thought made sense.

Brandon,
Look at the main webbing where the block cracked.

No girdles of any sort are going to prevent that. You simply cant put meat where it wasnt cast.

Since I know what you are getting at and you are on the fence about getting a 4 bolt block to compliment your twin incon kit.....Imma say this...DO IT!!

Fran or his brother got lucky with this one, it didnt hurt anything else.

TURBO50 OUT!!

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by moeofit32:
Thanks fir posting this.....told u neight a nick lol

Mexican blocks have a bit more main webbing and blind main bolt holes along with wider main caps, so they have been proven to more HP, still dont compare to a 4 bolt block but they are nothing to look over.

--------------------

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

I don't think it was making anything close to 600hp when it had the stock block, he will be lucky to get 650HP maximum with the new motor with that very small 60mm turbo.

[ 2013-05-29, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: racsirx ]

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've said all along..only thing those girdles are for is to make sure you have 1 piece of metal to remove instead of 2 when the thing splits....

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought a lot of these problems with the blocks cracking down the center had to do with high RPM and a decent amount of HP 500ish?

Sadly this is the fate for any stock block 5.0 if you want to go balls to the walls!

Of course not everyone has $1500+ to spend on a 4 bolt main block [Frown]

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought girdles just helped with main cap walk? Not preventing the block from spiltting. I've split a block with one also. 331 Trick flow heads and a 200 shot.
Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recall reading somewhere that a main cap girdle will, in most cases, at least save your rotating assembly when a block fails.

Anyone have info on that?

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NK2186:
I thought a lot of these problems with the blocks cracking down the center had to do with high RPM and a decent amount of HP 500ish?

Sadly this is the fate for any stock block 5.0 if you want to go balls to the walls!

I guess you are buying used blocks. Because you ain't getting a iron eagle block for $1500.. More like $2,400+.

I laugh when I have people ask me about girdles. While a main girdle will help with walk. That is about all it's good for. It will not keep any thing together if you start detonating the motor.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
quote:

I guess you are buying used blocks. Because you ain't getting a iron eagle block for $1500.. More like $2,400+.

I laugh when I have people ask me about girdles. While a main girdle will help with walk. That is about all it's good for. It will not keep any thing together if you start detonating the motor.

Yea I was thinking used blocks... I would never put $2400 down for a bare block... If I really wanted something nice i would just get a coyote 5.0 for another $4k brand new from ford...

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yea I was thinking used blocks... I would never put $2400 down for a bare block... If I really wanted something nice i would just get a coyote 5.0 for another $4k brand new from ford...
sure..if you really wanted..lol... love when people say this...but it never happens [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol wait..some of you really thought a STOCK 2 BOLT main 302 would NOT split or crack with just a main girdle and 500+ HP [Confused]

Cafords ftw [patriot]

[ 2013-05-29, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
fam_lace
¯
Member # 8565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fam_lace  Ford pictures for fam_lace    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice

--------------------
rip matt i love u cuz
351w h/c/I street car

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Even then..... It will only handle..... 600 or so RW..... If you want a good Coyote..... Get an Aluminator or...... A L&M...... But most people..... Will still say that..... Is too much money.......

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Broke mine with both lower and valley girdles. Made just over 400 NA. Got greedy and decided to squeeze a small shot and after 4 passes it was DONE....
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I recall reading somewhere that a main cap girdle will, in most cases, at least save your rotating assembly when a block fails.

Anyone have info on that?

Absolutely. My rotating assembly was perfect. Actually still ran but had a weird miss!
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
87 coupe
¯
Member # 10919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 coupe  Ford pictures for 87 coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say they are functional because it save the pistons and Rods right what would have hApined with out a girdle ? Mest up pistons rods and whoe knows what else but yeah they ain't really functional In a way!!
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I feel like a very meticulous balance job would be the best bet in terms of longevity for the block. No?

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

How do you know when the block split happens? Looks like this one is cracked, but might still run.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
How do you know when the block split happens? Looks like this one is cracked, but might still run.

Mine lost oil pressure
Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com