Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » registering an out-of-state car

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: registering an out-of-state car
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
years ago, i purchased a mustang from Alaska and all i needed to do was smog it and pay all my fees at the dmv. they didn't inspect the car or anything like that.

i'm not sure if tings are different now, but another member here just told me that an out-of-state must must be smogged at a star only station. is this true? also another buddy, said that his car was thoroughly checked by dmv when he bought a celica from out of state.

has anyone gone through this recently?

4.6 STANG
¯
Member # 9378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.6 STANG  Ford pictures for 4.6 STANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just bought my Cobra in Nevada, when I brought it to the DMV here they had a guy inspect it. Now I have to smog it too.

--------------------
2001 GT - RIP
2006 GT - RIP
2008 P71 - Sold
1997 Cobra - Sold
2007 F350 FX4 Powerstroke - Gone
2003 Marauder - Sold
2009 P71

Posts: 135 | From: United States | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4.6 STANG:
I just bought my Cobra in Nevada, when I brought it to the DMV here they had a guy inspect it. Now I have to smog it too.

Do you have to go to a star station for the smog?
maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They inspect to make sure its smog legal visually and road worthy, they also do a vin verification that's all I had to do and smog.

--------------------
Looking for clean white mustang email me

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

quote:
Originally posted by maeco:
They inspect to make sure its smog legal visually and road worthy, they also do a vin verification that's all I had to do and smog.

damn, not what i wanted to hear, lol. it's a WA car and the previous owner does not have all the smog equip. hooked up on the car. it also has LT headers and an o/r x-pipe.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You get looked at under a magnifying glass by the tree-hugging state. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not a big deal, I brought in many cars from out of state with no smog equipment on them, just do the vin verification first, then do the illegal smog on after, acting like you made it smog legal, my last one I did was a 87 with carb setup and had no problems, DMV didn't care

-

Here are a few others I did that had no smog equipment on them and no way could pass smog

-

-

-

[ 2013-05-21, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: racsirx ]

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

sweet, thanks for the info everyone [patriot] .

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com