Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Longest Foxbody roadtrip

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Longest Foxbody roadtrip
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the furthest you have driven your fox?? And what year was it?

Pondering the idea of driving a fox to a far destination versus towing it. 100k miles on it. Just don't know whether it would hold up the long distance or not.

I know they are tough cars, just look at how well the do donuts and figure eights and then still having the ability to run from cops haha.

Furthest I drove a fox was from Hayward to six flags in Vallejo. I know not that far haha 146k miles was on it it was a 1990 5speed, just remembered I ran with a Light green lx hatch and dark green notch on 880 to Oakland on the way. This was back in '09. Come to think of it we abuse these cars to shit.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bay to socal san diego area, recently not bad just sore from seat but not bad

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
christian89
¯
Member # 11563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for christian89  Ford pictures for christian89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drove a 1993 Mustang 5.0 Chp all the way to LA and back back in 2007.. Raced a SN95 on the way blew his doors off lol... Forgot to mention i also busted some Donut down there....

[ 2013-04-12, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: christian89 ]

Posts: 56 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2012  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drove myne to san diego quite a few times....but w/ ls1 t56

--------------------
91' Notch

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drove from Redwood City to Sac raceway. Got around 12 runs in then drove straight back no problem. ALMOST made it all in one tank too just started running low in Oakland(don't like getting it to E).

1986 5.0 [patriot]

[ 2013-04-12, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: NEIGHT ]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
El Caballo
¯
Member # 6355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Caballo  Ford pictures for El Caballo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Back in 2001 I drove my 87 conv gt from bay area to san antonio Tx, it's been there ever since , fuck that! i sold it to a my cusin...

[ 2013-04-12, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: El Caballo ]

--------------------
..Bottled Ls6 C4 In Progress..
..slow 08 silverado...
..SVT4Ls7-rip...
: RevengE Is ThE SweetesT MothA F@kN TastE!!!

banks86coupe
¯
Member # 11683

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for banks86coupe  Ford pictures for banks86coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All the foxbodys I bought came from the bay drove them all home
Took my 86 out of town 100 miles plus about 3 time or more no problem.my 90 went to santa cruz 4 or 5 times no problems. These cars love the freeway and wot lol.

--------------------
86 4 eyed coupe h/c/i full exhaust

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Back in 1996 drove a 87 LX with HCI and 140K miles on it, to San Antonio TX in 26 hours from the Bay Area, 100+ MPH all the way to El Paso TX, that was the good old days when there was a bunch of open freeways. From El Paso to San Antonio couldn't couldn't speed much, too many state troopers watching the freeways. Then went back and forth from San Antonio to Laredo TX three times then back to the Bay Area. Crazy thing back then in Texas was the cops watched the speed limits, no 5 mph leeway, but it was legal to drink and drive.

[ 2013-04-12, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: racsirx ]

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
03smknsvt
¯
Member # 5514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03smknsvt  Ford pictures for 03smknsvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drove my 92 lx 5.0 to chicago and back and it had 170k on it and I drove it down to rosarito couple times and drove it down there the whole time. .I guess it all depends on how well do keep up your cars maintenance

[ 2013-04-12, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: 03smknsvt ]

--------------------
03 silver cobra #3461 out of 8394
96 gt supercharged
03 mach 1
93 cobra
99 black bird
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Vallejo to Sheridan Wyoming, 3 different times in the same car, twice na, once supercharged an snow when i got there lol. that was fun lol
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Martinez California to Montgomery Alabama 1998 both ways, 4 times.

Drove both my 1991 drop top with 27K miles on it and my 1989 hardtop with 80k miles on it.

Drove the hardtop out there, put et drags on, shortbelt and sprayed it into the 12.2s with stock longblock and 4.10s. Drove it home from there. Did that several times from 1998-1999.

Do it.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nothings better than a road trip in your fox!

Sac to Anaheim with the Saleen last years Knotts. With the AC blasting!

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
used to drive my 1989 coupe and my 90 droptop from Chico to the Peninsula and back countless times. I drove the coupe to San Diego from Chico with my boy. it was long trip but fun as hell.
Can't wait to take a long road trip in the new 5.0 and see how fast i can get her up to!
taking a road trip in a classic is awesome, drove the 67 from the Bay to Phoenix 12 hours... (!) and from phoenix to LA for Knotts once and soon to be twice next week!

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done the round trip from North of Sac to Orange County and back a few times.

What's the worry? [Confused]

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drive my coupe on a daily basis around town and to sac!! And also I beat it every now and then! I used to go to LA about twice a month, and drive around town in stop and go traffic on the 405 freeway, and then would head down to San Diego! Never had any issues.. Just make sure cooling system is in check!

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*
90 Notchback *wrecked and sold*
93 Ex-CHP notchback *Daily driver*

Posts: 558 | From: El Sobrante/Vallejo | Registered: Jan 2010  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Loving these success stories haha.

Bluestang there's no worry really just wanted some more confidence in these machines. Although I have seen foxes try going up the hills on 580 on the way to Tracy that gave up before the incline.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You guys that are afraid to drive your cars crack me up. Even new cars break down. I had a car with 36k miles blow a head gasket and pump all the oil out onto the firewall in the span of 4 seconds and it spun a rod bearing. I've also had the spark plug blow out of a low mile aluminum head in Tahoe once. Shit breaks. Fix it and move on. If you're afraid to drive a car further than a 20 mile radius from your house, either you need to get a better car or become a better mechanic.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
You guys that are afraid to drive your cars crack me up. Even new cars break down. I had a car with 36k miles blow a head gasket and pump all the oil out onto the firewall in the span of 4 seconds and it spun a rod bearing. I've also had the spark plug blow out of a low mile aluminum head in Tahoe once. Shit breaks. Fix it and move on. If you're afraid to drive a car further than a 20 mile radius from your house, either you need to get a better car or become a better mechanic.

I don't think anyone on this thread said they are afraid to drive their car lol.
sounds like your mad at your success rate with road trips haha

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry, my post was more directed at those who didn't post in the thread because they've never been on a long road trip in their Mustang.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:

I know they are tough cars, just look at how well the do donuts and figure eights and then still having the ability to run from cops haha.

One of the most wet noodle feeling cars I ever drove was a FOX body convertible. A FOX convertible that I test drove a long time ago was so structurally loose and made so many creak and rattle noises that I thought it was going to split in two so if you own a rag top fox body, I would advise against taking it out on a super long road trip.

I used to own an 87 GT hatchback and I drove it from the bay area to Virginia City Nevada a few times back in the day. [burnout]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drove my old 89' to Carson City, NV and still had over 1/4 tank doing 75-80 all the way there.

Really depends on how reliable the car has been and what kind of mechanical condition the car is in. I trusted my car to get me to and from wherever, whenever.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:

One of the most wet noodle feeling cars I ever drove was a FOX body convertible. A FOX convertible that I test drove a long time ago was so structurally loose and made so many creak and rattle noises that I thought it was going to split in two so if you own a rag top fox body, I would advise against taking it out on a super long road trip.

I used to own an 87 GT hatchback and I drove it from the bay area to Virginia City Nevada a few times back in the day. [burnout]

a cage and subframes helpes out greatly! i drove my 90 droptop lx back and forth between Chico and the peninsula many times. and beat on it regularly.

-

-

[ 2013-04-15, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: shiftylx ]

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com