Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » buying a musting and need advice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: buying a musting and need advice
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So im thinking of buying a sn95 mustang. I have little to no knowledge with this generation of mustang. What i wanna know is what should i look for before buying and what milage ia too high for purchase. If it helps im more than likely going to get one off the lot. Thanx in advance
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ROK5.0:
So im thinking of buying a sn95 mustang. I have little to no knowledge with this generation of mustang. What i wanna know is what should i look for before buying and what milage ia too high for purchase. If it helps im more than likely going to get one off the lot. Thanx in advance

pictures? gt, cobra or v6? 5 speed or auto?

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2nd Best looking Mustangs are the SN95s! 67-68 Mustang Fastbacks are the best looking but i am not biased or anything lol.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire532FB:
2nd Best looking Mustangs are the SN95s! 67-68 Mustang Fastbacks are the best looking but i am not biased or anything lol.

SN95 bwahhahahahahaha

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

first off which motor do you want? 94/95(cobra and GT) still have 5.0, 96-04 GT have 4.6 SOHC, 96-04 cobra have 4.6DOHC.

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well since ill be mostly likely buying it off a car lot im not sure of what motor ut it will be a v8?
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Well since ill be mostly likely buying it off a car lot im not sure of what motor ut it will be a v8?

you can pop the hood and check lol
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire532FB:
2nd worst looking Mustangs are the SN95s! 67-68 Mustang Fastbacks are the best looking but i am not biased or anything lol.

Yup sounds about right

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One think I would never forget to check on a mustang is the torque boxes that's for damn shure! FOX>SN95

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Save your money and buy a Corvette. For now, get yourself a nice little civic. And buying an older stang from the dealer/lot, is going to be a rip off. Don't waste your time.

--------------------
hahahahaha

Posts: 1412 | From: 650-408-510-415 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love the SN95 body but as previously stated they are slow as hell out of the box and unfortunately the overly modded ones are mostly owned but 19 year old's with no sense of respect for a vehicle lol

Also, buying a car like that from a car lot you really have to be careful or the transaction will require lube!

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A car lot??? SN95s are 15 years old no reputable car lots going to have one there unless its Triple Crown Auto or some shit.

You can buy a SN95 cobra probably for no more than 5-6K at the most. A sloooow as gt 96-98 will probably run 2500 max, a slooow as 5.0 will run about the same.

SN95 is one of the least loved mustangs since the 72-78s.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I were to get a sn95 I would most likely go for a cobra first. Great motors in those cars, they sound awesome, and have tons of potential. My second choice would be a 94/95 to stay with the push rod motor. Easy to mod and the 302 is proven work horse. My last choice would be a GT. If this were to be your choice STAY AWAY FROM THE 96. First year for the mod motor and they have nothing but problems with that SOHC motor and don't make that great of power. If its speed you want don't forget you can make anything fast, so if thats the body style you like stick with it! Cant go wrong in a ford. It really just depends on what you want to do with the car too. DD or weekend warrior, possibilities and combos are endless!!

As for what to check I agree with what has been said above Torque boxes should be the first thing to look at, along the all the basics. Check the fluids look for anything out of the ordinary, and just drive it see how the car feels. A clean sn95 can be had for fairly cheap from a private party so if you can I'de stay away from dealerships
Good luck on your buy

Ps FOXBODY'S FTW [Big Grin]

[ 2013-04-09, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Ryan_LX ]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sn95 are one of the best in my opinion specially coming out of a damn rattle can fox which was fun but sucks for daily driving.

also,to the OP, the one thing you always look for is craked torque boxes always tell you if its been dogged or swung many times.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its getting harder to find a clean one but if i were you id go for a 50 sn95 which is 94-95. theyre slow stock but at least you can mod them alot easier and cheaper than that non pi 4.6 bullshit

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Appreciate all the advice and now im going to do my research on some pi headed mustang...thanx ppl
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always liked the 98 cobra verts on that body style. Nice clean styling. Mystic would be cool too. Oh ya, also white Saleen verts are very nice too in that body style.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com