Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » is anyone here reaping the benefits from this....??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: is anyone here reaping the benefits from this....??
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/402161.html
Our teacher told us about this labor code, I was curious if anyone on here is aware of this code and getting paid properly as a result.

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I could have used that a couple months ago

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
(B) When tools or equipment are required by the employer or are
necessary to the performance of a job, such tools and equipment shall
be provided and maintained by the employer, except that an employee
whose wages are at least two (2) times the minimum wage provided
herein may be required to provide and maintain hand tools and
equipment customarily required by the trade or craft. This subsection
(B) shall not apply to apprentices regularly indentured under the
State Division of Apprenticeship Standards.

I don't read that as, you must be paid double minimum wage if you provide your own tools. I believe it means that the company must supply tools to employees who earn less than double the minimum wage. If you earn more than double, then the company does not need to supply you with required tools.

[ December 13, 2012, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:

I don't read that as, you must be paid double minimum wage if you provide your own tools. I believe it means that the company must supply tools to employees who earn less than double the minimum wage. If you earn more than double, then the company does not need to supply you with required tools.
Ok so, then if you have to bring your own tool, because they are not provided for the job , then what? You must be paid at least double the min wage ? That would make perfect sense seeing how expensive tools are.
02angrybird
¯
Member # 11259

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 02angrybird  Ford pictures for 02angrybird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MACK.GT:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/402161.html
Our teacher told us about this labor code, I was curious if anyone on here is aware of this code and getting paid properly as a result.

Sorta, I'm over double min wage, but I'm still under paid by quite a bit... Min wage is going up to $10 an hour in San Jose, so I talked to our union rep about that and he's supposed to get back to me... Gonna call him tomorrow and see what he's doing about it...

--------------------
KIH Willie Guzman
2002 WS6 RIP
2009 G8 GT DD
97 taco 4X4
98 TA under construction

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok so, then if you have to bring your own tool, because they are not provided for the job , then what? You must be paid at least double the min wage ? That would make perfect sense seeing how expensive tools are.
I'm certainly no labor law expert. An attorney specializing in California labor laws would be the best person to ask. But in my unprofessional opinion, if you earn less than double and do not have company provided tools, then your company is in violation of the law. They can correct this in one of two ways. Provide you with tools or pay you double minimum wage. I would imagine that they would only be required to provide the minimum tools required for you to complete your job function. Like if you work at Jiffy Lube, they would only need to provide a couple of wrenches to remove the drain plug and a filter wrench.

When I did physical work for a living, I was required to supply basic hand tools and the company provided the more specialized expensive tools. I'm pretty sure I was paid at least double minimum wage at the time though.

What do you do and what tools are you expected to supply?

[ December 13, 2012, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm certainly no labor law expert. An attorney specializing in California labor laws would be the best person to ask. But in my unprofessional opinion, if you earn less than double and do not have company provided tools, then your company is in violation of the law. They can correct this in one of two ways. Provide you with tools or pay you double minimum wage. I would imagine that they would only be required to provide the minimum tools required for you to complete your job function. Like if you work at Jiffy Lube, they would only need to provide a couple of wrenches to remove the drain plug and a filter wrench.

When I did physical work for a living, I was required to supply basic hand tools and the company provided the more specialized expensive tools. I'm pretty sure I was paid at least double minimum wage at the time though.

What do you do and what tools are you expected to supply?

I just finished my automotive electrical class, part of a 30 unit certificate that I've been working on over the past year. And so we were having this lecture the other day about the industry and shops and ASE , and school program funding. So our teacher had mentioned this law before like last year, and I asked her about it in case any of my classmates were not aware. So now they are all aware of it , and I thought there might be some on here who can benifit from the knowlege of this State Law. For example the 1st person to respond on this thread said that they could have used this a couple months ago.
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My dad just went through this recently, If your employer "REQUIRES" you to provide your own tools, meaning if your boss and or labor agreement specifies you to bring your own tools.

If you feel the tools they have supplied are not up to par and you chose to bring your own, there is no help for you there.

I f you are working for a decent size outfit that has an employee handbook, read through it and see what it says about supplying your own tools.

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
MachYou
¯
Member # 7934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MachYou  Ford pictures for MachYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Union FTW

--------------------
All Bullshit Stops When the Hands Drop

Posts: 726 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MachYou:
Union FTW

Exactly!

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
quote:
Originally posted by MachYou:
Union FTW

Exactly!
I couldn't agree more
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Having a labor code like this one ,I think is great, it helps to protect the integrity of the automotive trade. As well as help to prevent technicians from being lowballed for their skills. Skills that help keep everyday people safe on the roads and freeways and streets of our communities.
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you should ask your teacher about flate rate laws becuase 99% off the shops you work for will be flate rate
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

We did cover flat rate pay. And if its busy, and you got skills,I think you can really make a lot of money that way. 99% of shops paying that way seems high, but I'm not too concerned about that because I plan on being a smog tech and I see jobs posted all the time starting at $18 hr. 18-25 DOE sounds coo to me. Any smog techs on here who would like to offer any advice I'd welcome that. I already plan on taking the courses in clean air once they resume . Thanks..
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
We did cover flat rate pay. And if its busy, and you got skills,I think you can really make a lot of money that way. 99% of shops paying that way seems high, but I'm not too concerned about that because I plan on being a smog tech and I see jobs posted all the time starting at $18 hr. 18-25 DOE sounds coo to me. Any smog techs on here who would like to offer any advice I'd welcome that. I already plan on taking the courses in clean air once they resume . Thanks..

i am a smog tech in flat rate shop.
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All I can say as a smog tech is be on ur P's and Q's. The new star program is no joke and its designed to put shops in violation (as was the gold shield). 18 as a minimum is actually kinda high from what ive seen from rookie smog techs.

This law is great and like stated previously, it helps preserve the integrity of our industry. Flat rate is tough in California, but if u work for the right shop its great.

What wasnt stated in the 2 above options the owner has is that they also reserve the right to say u arent worth double minimum wage. California is an at will employing state meaning they dont need a good reason to can ur ass.... make sure u are worth at least double minimum wage or else ur setting up a death trap. If u take shortcuts that could get u in troublewhile testing cars and u cant even get close to book time on repairs (if applicable) then what motivation does ur boss have to keep u, much less raise ur pay? U have ti do something that will keep u worthwhile to ur employer for them to keep u or pay u more.

Good luck brotha.

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com