Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Why my car fail smog? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why my car fail smog?
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well its my sisters v6 it says faild air injuction am thinking clean tb maf and new filter. Heres the reports. Thanks cafords...

-

--------------------
" A Wolf under sheep's clothing"-svoRICK 2/10/12
Almost everything I asked for.

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are you serious???? check engine light

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra 93-4992:
are you serious???? check engine light

No light on man. Thats why am wondering is this dude scaming or what he said to pay even though it says no pass no pay she paid half price and said to go back in a week to pass her. I wasnt present with her she went by her self.

--------------------

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MIL is malfunction indication lamp, if there is something lit up on her dash thats the only reason why it failed

shes being hustled

[ December 07, 2012, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Cobra 93-4992 ]

--------------------

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you turn the key on does the check engine light turn on for a few seconds then turn off? If it doesnt it wont pass.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This always ruffled my feathers with the smog test. If it passed the emissions, who cares about anything else. Its obviously not going to pollute anything. That's CA for you.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
When you turn the key on does the check engine light turn on for a few seconds then turn off? If it doesnt it wont pass.

Ill check right now man I think it should ill get back to you.

--------------------

SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra 93-4992:
MIL is malfunction indication lamp, if there is something lit up on her dash thats the only reason why it failed

shes being hustled

So what should I do with this dude.

--------------------

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

I was watching judge judy one time and they had some asshole who painted over the check engine light, is it possible they did that and the smog tech pulled codes that indicated otherwise???

People are shady

--------------------

SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

-

See no light man. And yea service engine light comes on at start. Her fuel cap dont click could it be the issue?

--------------------

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is she hot? I mean if she is I would like to see her again if I was a tech.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the battery disconnected recently? If so the ecu has to good through certain drive cycles to do its self checks.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
Was the battery disconnected recently? If so the ecu has to good through certain drive cycles to do its self checks.

Dont think so man I doubt my sis would wrench on her car lol.

--------------------

96stang4.6
¯
Member # 9970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96stang4.6  Ford pictures for 96stang4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
according to the codes it comes to be a faulty or leaky gas cap, loose hoses, filler neck leaking from the top or a purge valve.
Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous5.0  Ford pictures for Infamous5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
P0455 and P0457 is the reason why your car didn't pass. Your check engine light bulb is out. I guarantee you that your check engine light doesn't turn on when you do the turn key engine off. You/potentially hot sister didn't get scammed!!! Google those codes and you will find out why the car failed smog.

--------------------
To be or not to be

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A gross leak could be several things id get a new gas cap off the jump!!!!!
It says on the fuel cap fuctional test (n/a)

Is there a gas cap on the car?
After the cap u might want to look into the fuel filler neck o-ring.

Wait if the light is off and the code has stored then it's just a matter of time before she makes enough drive cycles to clear the code. Unless the bulb is burnt out.

If you want disconnect the battery and let her drive it for a week. Then take it back. She probally left the cap loose at one point. If you want you can take it somewhere and have them leak test the system with smoke to find hte leak.

The reason it failed is because the light is off and there is a code stored.

[ December 07, 2012, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: 89Rodknocker ]

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous5.0  Ford pictures for Infamous5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The gas cap section says n/a = not applicable. Gas cap test is not required for 2000+ vehicles but it has to have one.

--------------------
To be or not to be

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:
A gross leak could be several things id get a new gas cap off the jump!!!!!
It says on the fuel cap fuctional test (n/a)

Is there a gas cap on the car?
After the cap u might want to look into the fuel filler neck o-ring.

Wait if the light is off and the code has stored then it's just a matter of time before she makes enough drive cycles to clear the code. Unless the bulb is burnt out.

If you want disconnect the battery and let her drive it for a week. Then take it back. She probally left the cap loose at one point. If you want you can take it somewhere and have them leak test the system with smoke to find hte leak.

The reason it failed is because the light is off and there is a code stored.

2000 an up dont get the gas cap test done anymore when smoging the car anymore
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

quote:
Originally posted by Infamous5.0:
P0455 and P0457 is the reason why your car didn't pass. Your check engine light bulb is out. I guarantee you that your check engine light doesn't turn on when you do the turn key engine off. You/potentially hot sister didn't get scammed!!! Google those codes and you will find out why the car failed smog.

Light comes on at start but shuts off. So should I get her a new cap? Is that a good starting point?

--------------------

Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Disconnect the battery or if you have a obdII scanner clear your light/computer. Do this after tightening the gas cap. Drive the car for over 60 miles and check if the codes disappear. The smog shop should check the monitors to see if you drove it enough. It not come to my shop ill check it out for free.

--------------------
To be or not to be

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
This always ruffled my feathers with the smog test. If it passed the emissions, who cares about anything else. Its obviously not going to pollute anything. That's CA for you.

This! CARB numbers and all the BS shouldn't matter if it passes their test then who cares whats under the hood.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

quote:
Originally posted by Infamous5.0:
Disconnect the battery or if you have a obdII scanner clear your light/computer. Do this after tightening the gas cap. Drive the car for over 60 miles and check if the codes disappear. The smog shop should check the monitors to see if you drove it enough. It not come to my shop ill check it out for free.

Where you located man just in case ama do all that tomorow.

--------------------

a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Robb:

+1 its bullshit

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sometimes check engine lights disappear after awhile even though there is still a faulty code in the system. do what they said above, disconnect battery for 20 min and drive 60 miles. if it doesnt come on, go ahead and take it back to the smog shop.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not sure exactly how its set up on your particular car. But land rover (what I work on) uses a DMTL (diagnostic module- tank leakage) pump to check for evaporative emission leaks. A fine leak is .5 to 1 mm. Anything over 1mm is a gross leak. It checks these by measuring the current it takes to push air through sample orifices built into the pump and then comparing it to how much output there is in the rest of the system. Start with the obvious, like a gas cap as mentioned above. But if that doesn't do it you might have the system smoke checked. They plug a smoke producing machine into a test port and smoke will leak wherever your issue is at. For example, a common one for us is stuck open purge valves, and often the DMTL pump itself is just shot. Hope this provides a little insight into what you're up against.

--------------------
Lame ass 2006 3V GT. Low and slow, all bark, no bite.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com