Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Going to NYC soon

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Going to NYC soon
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What should I do out there? First time going.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Learn to swim [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its not to late I'd cancel that trip. Public transportation is going to be under reconstruction so taking a cab is going to cost more because they will be able to charge more.
I wouldn't go to NYC for at least 6 months. It's gonna be a mess for a while.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How soon? my cousin is a cop in NYC and heard you can Barley get in or out.. Are you staying in NYC also

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
5.0Abe
¯
Member # 11310

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Abe  Ford pictures for 5.0Abe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take a boat with you lol safe trip [patriot]
Posts: 505 | From: Pittsburg CA. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  :
DevonShelbyGT
¯
Member # 8696

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevonShelbyGT  Ford pictures for DevonShelbyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont worry about the subways being down unless you want off manhttan, you can still use the busses and the entire island is 12mi x 3mi so get some nice running shoes. the cost of cab fare is painted onto the side of each cab and i doubt they will up the price in a time like this... but it is ny. i just moved back this summer after living in manhattan for about a year (school) and heres some tips:

keep wallet in front pocket at all times(youd be amazed how popular chain wallets still are out there)

general rule of thumb is the higher up in street numbers you go the ghettoer it gets (exceptions to central park east/west)

try not to act like a tourist and at least pretend you know where youre going.

go see:
the high line
hudson greenway
time square
washington square
union sqaure
saint marks st
wtc
central park (that place from home alone)
american museum of natural history
chelsea market

things you must eat:
panani from a bodega (not a deli or a corner store... its a bodega)
pizza at least once a day
pizza from artichoke bassile on 14th (but only when drunk and after 4am)
lobster roll
miso ramen from a noodle restaurant
a ny strip from a steakhouse
original soupman ('no soup for you' seinfeld place)
rudys bar on 9th (best dive bar with duct tape seats and a free hot dog with a drink order)
the 13th step on 2nd
when in doubt use yelp

do not:
eat from just any food cart, use yelp.
listen to the advice of someone who has only visited nyc
go to empire state builing
or statue of liberty

areas that are cool to check out for restaurants/bars:

east village
hells kitchen

hope i could help, have fun!

[ October 31, 2012, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: DevonShelbyGT ]

Posts: 299 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DevonShelbyGT:
dont worry about the subways being down unless you want off manhttan, you can still use the busses and the entire island is 12mi x 3mi so get some nice running shoes. the cost of cab fare is painted onto the side of each cab and i doubt they will up the price in a time like this... but it is ny. i just moved back this summer after living in manhattan for about a year (school) and heres some tips:

keep wallet in front pocket at all times(youd be amazed how popular chain wallets still are out there)

general rule of thumb is the higher up in street numbers you go the ghettoer it gets (exceptions to central park east/west)

go see:
the high line
hudson greenway
time square
wtc

things you must eat:
pizza from artichoke bassile (but only when drunk and after 4am)
lobster roll

do not:
or statue of liberty

east village
hells kitchen

MOST HELPFUL POST OF THE MONTH, good looking out [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going today. Staying in queens/ flushing. It's my first time I know it's unfortunate that I'm going after a storm but also tight I've never seen the aftermath of a hurricane.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by DevonShelbyGT:

go see:
the high line
hudson greenway
time square
wtc

things you must eat:
pizza from artichoke bassile (but only when drunk and after 4am)
lobster roll

do not:
or statue of liberty

east village
hells kitchen

MOST HELPFUL POST OF THE MONTH, good looking out [patriot]
Thanks. My uncles live there so I have access To a car. Why not go to empire or statue?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

DevonShelbyGT
¯
Member # 8696

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevonShelbyGT  Ford pictures for DevonShelbyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
I'm going today. Staying in queens/ flushing. It's my first time I know it's unfortunate that I'm going after a storm but also tight I've never seen the aftermath of a hurricane.

if you cant make it into the city you can always go down to the williamsburg area in brooklyn. there are some good restaurants and a cool bar scene but its mainly hipsters
DevonShelbyGT
¯
Member # 8696

[/QUOTE]Thanks. My uncles live there so I have access To a car. Why not go to empire or statue? [/QB][/QUOTE]

the normal line waiting time to visit the top of the empire state builing is about 3hrs. once your up there you are crammed into a small room with tons of people, and if youre lucky enough to be one of the people by the glass you get a view, but just for a few mins and then you have to empty the room and its the next groups turn.

to get to liberty island it take a 45min freezing cold boat ride out to the statue (and i think right now is not the time to play in the ocean) once you finally get there its that sort of "oh... well i thought it was bigger" and you start to think maybe you liked the statue more before you actually saw it close up.

Big down side of NYC that most people dont know is cigarettes are on avg about $15-18 pack and a nice imported 6pack of beer is about the same.

Youll see signs in front of bars that say things like $6 Bud Pint happy hour - nothing happy about being broke at the end of the night

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com