Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Detail Gurus

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Detail Gurus
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can someone point me in the right direction of do's and dont's for the process of detailing a car.

Ive been reading up on it but would like some personal feedback/tips. Thanks CaFords
[patriot]

[ September 24, 2012, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: 66_5.0 ]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

1ST0KGT
¯
Member # 10606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1ST0KGT  Ford pictures for 1ST0KGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't get shitty material, a good buffer, depending on how bad is your paint determines the RPMz of your buffer, do the car piece by piece. DONT BE LAZY!

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT)
04/24/87-11/23/12

Posts: 1742 | From: San Jose (SOUTH BAY) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a pretty broad subject depending on what kind of detail you're looking to but as far as a complete detail for the first time I would go,

1. Wash car and wheels
2.Clay bar the whole car to remove oxidation and etc.
3. Polish the car with a rubbing compound using buffer just try to go even and let the machine move go by itself without pressing too hard unless it needs to be buffed out. Then remove the rubbing compound.
4. Apply a wax of your choice, and use a small brush to go around the car to remove any excess wax or rubbing compound.
5. Clean the windows with solution of your choice (no windex), and clean the wheels with a rag and add tire shine.

If you're looking for interior you're going to need other things.

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My paint isn't even a year old but some of this water is brutal.

Junkyard, about how long should it take if done right? And do you have to knead the claybar frequently?

--------------------
1966 Mustang

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just do a good wash and then a good hand wax your paint is new so I wouldn't worry about using clay bars and a power buffers

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66_5.0:
My paint isn't even a year old but some of this water is brutal.

Junkyard, about how long should it take if done right? And do you have to knead the claybar frequently?

It really depends on the condition of the car, but it can be done in like 2hrs to a whole day job if there's a lot of details, don't worry about time too much just make sure you do a good job on each section.

Try working in a pattern, like for example, do half a side of the car first starting from the drivers side, do half of the hood, bumper and all the driver side roof, doors, fenders, trunk, and then do the other half on the passenger side. Work from the front number to the trunk just to keep track and work in small sections so that if you see anything wrong you can fix it or stop.

You can knead the clay bar as often as you like but it;s not necessary to over do it, use your judgement depending on the condition of the car. You can use the same clay bar like 4-5 times, if you notice anything get stuck to the clay you can throw that part away.

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As previously stated

Wash- Don't use dish soap
Clay- Knead the clay and keep the panel you're working on lubricated, the clay shouldn't stick
Polish- Pain in the butt but worth it
Wax- I use Meguiar's Products Cause I like em
Upkeep- I use a California duster and Detailer often

Takes me about 6 hours to get the car where I want it but I do everything by hand with OTC Meguiar's products. It's a hobby for me plus a few hours in the garage listening to music drinking beer and detailing is way better then being inside listening to the old lady talk about curtains.

Did this to my truck recently,

-

[ September 24, 2012, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: fstryde3 ]

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Fstryde that looks good man. Paint is good but I just want to see it its worth it to do it even tho its only a few months old

I was thinking Mothers products btw

--------------------
1966 Mustang

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Fstryde that looks good man. Paint is good but I just want to see it its worth it to do it even tho its only a few months old

I was thinking Mothers products btw

Thanks man I appreciate it I detail the friends and families cars for fun LOL In my opinion I would say yes do it, you will be amazed how much crap the clay bar takes off even on a newly painted vehicle plus you get to stand back and look at your work. And as far as Mother's I've heard good things just always roll with Meguiar's cause that's what my pops always used.

[ September 24, 2012, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: fstryde3 ]

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Everything you need to know is here:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/

--------------------
hahahahaha

Posts: 1412 | From: 650-408-510-415 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont forget to use that Armor All for them tires!!! Nothing worse than a clean car with sun burnt tires.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you don't clay a car before you wax it you'd be AMAZED just how much shit you are sealing in with the wax... Wash WITH dish soap prior to your detail (never after the detail is complete because it will brake everything down that you're building up protection wise.) If you have to, go over it two or three times wash wise because everything you get off with this stage makes the other stages that much easier.

Then on to the clay bar phase. Take your time with every little spot. You'll be able to go back and forth over the tiniest marks and they will eventually lighten with each swipe and eventually come off.

Then the polish stage, make sure you use microfiber towels and switch areas on the towels often. Same thing, you'll find certain makes that will lighten and come off as you go over them. Slow and steady.

Then wax it to seal it

Upkeep will be easy, don't plan to use much soap, in the bucket because you won't need much. Water more or less. Soap wise, get some car wash soap and again, stay away from dishwash soap until just before you do this process again. Comes out looking incredible, but it is a lot of work. Generally 8 hours and I prefer to do it ALL by hand.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
If you don't clay a car before you wax it you'd be AMAZED just how much shit you are sealing in with the wax... Wash WITH dish soap prior to your detail (never after the detail is complete because it will brake everything down that you're building up protection wise.) If you have to, go over it two or three times wash wise because everything you get off with this stage makes the other stages that much easier.

Then on to the clay bar phase. Take your time with every little spot. You'll be able to go back and forth over the tiniest marks and they will eventually lighten with each swipe and eventually come off.

Then the polish stage, make sure you use microfiber towels and switch areas on the towels often. Same thing, you'll find certain makes that will lighten and come off as you go over them. Slow and steady.

Then wax it to seal it

Upkeep will be easy, don't plan to use much soap, in the bucket because you won't need much. Water more or less. Soap wise, get some car wash soap and again, stay away from dishwash soap until just before you do this process again. Comes out looking incredible, but it is a lot of work. Generally 8 hours and I prefer to do it ALL by hand.

Ok thanks for the advice. But why dish wash soap? Can't a polish compound do the same?

Im real hesitant on that since this is the first car Ive had with nice paint lol. Im planning on doing it this weekend.

[ September 24, 2012, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: 66_5.0 ]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

quote:
Originally posted by Nifty50:
dont forget to use that Armor All for them tires!!! Nothing worse than a clean car with sun burnt tires.

Oh they're always armor alled!

Thanks Blk35th will check that out [patriot]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Right on Man, stay shinnin [patriot]
BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Good Luck, I have been meaning to get started on the clay bar deal too. But keep procrastinating, I just don't have much patience for things like that. Good luck though.

Other than that, the website is very helpful.

--------------------
hahahahaha

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

It is Ive been looking at it and Im excited. Looks like some beers and tunes to add to the list [patriot]

[ September 24, 2012, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: 66_5.0 ]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

NINETY#FIFTY
¯
Member # 4866

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NINETY#FIFTY  Ford pictures for NINETY#FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What products do you guys suggest to get swirls out of stock black paint?

--------------------
1990 #50 SALEEN 31K
1988 #363 SALEEN 68K
1993 #2572 COBRA 31k
1993 ACURA INTEGRA 102k
2014 HYUNDAI SONATA 171k

BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

I would really like to know the answer to this as well. I used Turtle wax rubbing compound, McGuire wax and Nu finish polish. And there's still some swirl marks.

[ September 26, 2012, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: BLK35th ]

--------------------
hahahahaha

BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

quote:
Originally posted by NINETY#FIFTY:
What products do you guys suggest to get swirls out of stock black paint?

Schlage, and Geico lol

--------------------
hahahahaha

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com