Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » i loved my car till...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: i loved my car till...
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went to thunder hill race park.. now i think its a piece of shit.. [Frown]
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what happened? the first time I went out in my car it was on street tires, cut stock springs, stock brakes, just a CAI, exhaust, and tune.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mach916:

I think you deff got a good foundation to play with now it's just time to mod her and I think u will have a blast with that car.

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not to insult you but a lot of racing has to do with the driver as well. Give you an example, on my 06 r1 first time at t-hill I was running 2:20 lap times. I dropped that bike with no changes down to 2:05 in 1 year. Picked up another R1 for track only and first time out went 2:06, dropped my lap times to 1:59 in two track days. You will learn the track, when to do what etc... and get faster. Just takes practice!!

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's wrong with it? If you have a stock mach 1 then that should be pretty decent to have some fun with! Dont expect to be super fast and smooth yet, especially if it was your first time driving on a race track. What club did you run with?

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:
Not to insult you but a lot of racing has to do with the driver as well. Give you an example, on my 06 r1 first time at t-hill I was running 2:20 lap times. I dropped that bike with no changes down to 2:05 in 1 year. Picked up another R1 for track only and first time out went 2:06, dropped my lap times to 1:59 in two track days. You will learn the track, when to do what etc... and get faster. Just takes practice!!

no offense taken..i know i suck.. it was my first time out there..and only as a passenger in my friends g35... but ive messed around in my mach enough to know it will have alot of trouble in those sharps turns and at those wierd angles. a stockish mustang needs alot to atleast do okay at that place.
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
What's wrong with it? If you have a stock mach 1 then that should be pretty decent to have some fun with! Dont expect to be super fast and smooth yet, especially if it was your first time driving on a race track. What club did you run with?

i have eibach springs and koni str shocks.. so the car handles well.. more like a smooth cruiser with power then a corner carver.. we are not part of any club..just went to the class they offer.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You really have to try it out in your own car to determine whether your car sucks or not. A lot of people doubt mustangs on a road course, I being one of them, but once you get a feel for the car and get used to driving on a track you'll realize that it really isn't all that bad! Sure, there are tons of better handling cars out there, but work with what you have and go have some fun! Trust me, you won't regret it [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I actually feel sorry for people who feel they need to spend mega bucks in order to have a good time at the track. In fact, a powerful car that handles poorly is a blast to drive. If it wasn't, we'd all be in Miatas! Focus on safety, get the best brakes you can afford and your only concern should be is having fun and being able to drive home afterwards.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
swap your rear out for an irs it will handle alot better than a sra
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SwEeT 03 Gt:
swap your rear out for an irs it will handle alot better than a sra

or stick with the SRA and get the MM setup (PHB, T/A, LCA) [Wink]

--------------------

Y2K 281
¯
Member # 10132

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Y2K 281  Ford pictures for Y2K 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^^^ spend a bunch of money to polish a turd or just go get an IRS. You can make a solid rear handle but it takes a lot of money to do so.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Y2K 281:
^^^^ spend a bunch of money to polish a turd or just go get an IRS. You can make a solid rear handle but it takes a lot of money to do so.

Not really...I got my "turd" to handle quite well for much less than people sell stock IRS's.

--------------------

Y2K 281
¯
Member # 10132

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Y2K 281  Ford pictures for Y2K 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buying parts second hand will save you money but most IRS' are acquired through trade plus cash. A bone stock IRS with just springs will handle MUCH better considering the money spent on the MM parts alone plus labor for install (not everyone can do their own work especially drilling/welding for the PHB). Like I said the solid can be made to handle but in the end when factoring in money and the hassle of acquiring/installing the new parts the IRS is the simplest way to good handling.
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

is the main reason the front end dives under braking is because of the sra? so just switching to a irs would fix that?
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
is the main reason the front end dives under braking is because of the sra? so just switching to a irs would fix that?

Im no track guru but maybe stiffer springs up frot helps?

[ August 30, 2012, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: a302juGRnot ]

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Dude STFU unless you know what your talking about.... NO ONE road racing a mustang uses an IRS, they are weak and can not stand the punishment road racing puts on them.... but yeah run an IRS cuz they're dope.

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^^^ THIS. I get around thunder hill just fine (2:15.xx) with my stock 2V and my SRA. I agree with who ever said get the best brakes you can afford. cooling ducts help also. My car is 267 RWHP 2002 GT mustang. big brakes, suspension and since it is not on the road it is gutted. I figured I dont need power, i need to learn how to drive and get confident. Now that it has been 4 years of open track I would like to add power, not a lot but i think 400RWHP would be great.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Buying parts second hand will save you money but most IRS' are acquired through trade plus cash. A bone stock IRS with just springs will handle MUCH better considering the money spent on the MM parts alone plus labor for install (not everyone can do their own work especially drilling/welding for the PHB). Like I said the solid can be made to handle but in the end when factoring in money and the hassle of acquiring/installing the new parts the IRS is the simplest way to good handling.

Says the guy who probably has no real experience with either setups
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sneakyfox90:
quote:

Says the guy who probably has no real experience with either setups
[Roll Eyes]

My thoughts exactly!!!

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

pssst, it's not your car that's the problem

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com