Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » So if and when... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: So if and when...
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I get some money from my accident, I'm contemplating on buying a car, something afew years newer, nothing rediculous but comfortable, decent gas mileage and kinda fast. So I've been looking into Subaru WRXs.

However after events that occurred last night I feel like I wanna keep and fix my Honda since it gets 40-43 mpg highway and I do commute, and buy another Foxbody. I have one in mind that I can get for a good price but still thinking.

So cafords, what do you guys think?

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go for the honda and fox then

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
Go for the honda and fox then

I'm highly considering it. Cause the WRX is nice but only 29 mpg highway. I commute 40 miles a day 5 days a week. I'd have no problem paying for a storage unit and extra insurance for the Fox. I honestly do miss the 5.0 it seems life was easier/happier when I owned a fox. Lol. And girls love them.
><

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im going to be hypocritical and say get the subaru so you dont end up with a money pit like all race cars are..it ends up costing more in the long run

--------------------
91' Notch

Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
im going to be hypocritical and say get the subaru so you dont end up with a money pit like all race cars are..it ends up costing more in the long run

I appreciate the input. However I don't plan on using the Fox as a race car. It will be storage kept 4-5 days a week. Plus the one I have in mind is decently built and doubt I'd have to sink money into. I'm also interested in the GT40 Promo SN that Foxbody is selling, only problem I have with that is its not a Fox. Lol. And I can always hit up my good friend Turbo 50, that guy knows where the good deals are. So I have options.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will spend money on the mustang no matter how modified it is, there will always be something you want to buy for it.

buy a brand new car (new as in comes with a solid warranty) that you can be happy with like the wrx, pay it off then buy a side car that you can sink money into like a fox.

^ best way to do it and remain financially stable, I learned this the hard way

Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
Originally posted by 915.0gt:
You will spend money on the mustang no matter how modified it is, there will always be something you want to buy for it.

buy a brand new car (new as in comes with a solid warranty) that you can be happy with like the wrx, pay it off then buy a side car that you can sink money into like a fox.

^ best way to do it and remain financially stable, I learned this the hard way

I feel you bro. But if I buy something it's gotta be cash. I don't wanna make any payments. Lol

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont get into a car payment, drive what you can afford cash and build a fox for fun over time.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy a taco Truck so you can drive around fully armed!
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:

LOL.
Here's some motivation for him. Skip to the last 2 mins [Whoo Whooooo!]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZJyoRJlG-4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[ July 05, 2012, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Slowback67 ]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

that was the funniest thing ive read on this site in a while hahahhahahahaha

--------------------
93 5.0 trickflow h/c/i

Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

My co-workers are looking at me weird cause I just laughed out loud.
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra 93-4992:
Dont get into a car payment, drive what you can afford cash and build a fox for fun over time.

Which is why I'd like to keep and fix the Honda. It's great on gas and practical. I wouldn't have a problem dropping 5-7 grand on a decent built Fox.

quote:

[worship]

[ July 05, 2012, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: x Raelsmar x ]

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WRX STi wagon. One of the most well-rounded cars you can buy.

-spacious and practical. The wagon has loads of cargo space
-fast. Quick on the street. AWD launch will make quick work of many cars from a dig.
-fantastic AWD makes trips in rain, sleet, snow, mud... whatever... much easier and safer
-4-cylinder turbo gets decent fuel economy if you stay out of boost
-it's Japanese, so it's pretty reliable, and cheaper to maintain and repair than it's european competition
-insane grip and handling
-stylish interior with quality feel. Recaro buckets are sick
-Brembo brakes and BBS wheels as options on certain years

You can drive it everyday. Rain or shine. To the mountains to ski, to the beach, to the woods to go camping... to the drag strip and rip hard off the line on all-season tires... to an autocross or track day and have the grip and brakes to have fun... cruise the highway on roadtrips in comfort... and get you to work and back in gridlock traffic with little drama... and still clean up nice with a good detail and look respectable parked next to more "focused" sportscars...

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cobra 93-4992:
[qb] Dont get into a car payment, drive what you can afford cash and build a fox for fun over time.

Which is why I'd like to keep and fix the Honda. It's great on gas and practical. I wouldn't have a problem dropping 5-7 grand on a decent built Fox.

Now you're thinking!!! Took a couple of years but you get it. It's the idiots with car payments and dont even have a decent careers to pay back that interest and principal. Having paid off cars may have you down a car here and there every once in a while but you'll always have another to hop into without having to worry about a repo truck finding you. Stress from making a monthly payment has got to be the worst feeling one could ever have, besides getting shot in the dick. [patriot]

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:

-fast. Quick on the street. AWD launch will make quick work of many cars from a dig.
-fantastic AWD makes trips in rain, sleet, snow, mud... whatever... much easier and safer
-it's Japanese, so it's pretty reliable, and cheaper to maintain and repair than it's european competition

You can drive it everyday. Rain or shine. To the mountains to ski, to the beach, to the woods to go camping... to the drag strip and rip hard off the line on all-season tires... to an autocross or track day and have the grip and brakes to have fun... cruise the highway on roadtrips in comfort... and get you to work and back in gridlock traffic with little drama... and still clean up nice with a good detail and look respectable parked next to more "focused" sportscars...

See this is why I was looking into the WRX.
But I don't really care for the wagons I'd want a sedan. And I'm not really trying to mess with the STI cause it's more expensive to maintain and upgrade if I do. And the mpg on the STI is worse than a regular WRX. But everything else you mentioned is a plus.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
quote:

See this is why I was looking into the WRX.
But I don't really care for the wagons I'd want a sedan. And I'm not really trying to mess with the STI cause it's more expensive to maintain and upgrade if I do. And the mpg on the STI is worse than a regular WRX. But everything else you mentioned is a plus.

get a regular wrx and i'll get you some good info on them, to mod... my cousin is building his right now 2012 wrx 331awhp 371awtq! his car is wicked for what it is
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

With this on the side of it.

-

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
WRX STi wagon.
-it's Japanese, so it's pretty reliable, and
cheaper to maintain and repair

your talking about a subaru right
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
most wrx's real world get 25mpg.

checkout www.fueleconomy.gov for real world mpg numbers.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xvt's 85 5.0  Ford pictures for xvt's 85 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you get some money be sure to get some asada on your burrito! [Razz]

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
most wrx's real world get 25mpg.

checkout <a href="http://www.fueleconomy.gov" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.fueleconomy.gov</a> for real world mpg numbers.

I'll do that. But yeah that's 15 less than my Honda. And if I get a WRX it's gonna be a daily, not a toy.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SS396chevelle:
quote:
WRX STi wagon.

Subaru, Toyota, and Honda are some of the top rated manufacturers in terms of overall build quality and reliability...

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/impreza/2012/subaru-trounces-honda-in-consumer-reports-rankings.html

Subaru's have statistically fewer warranty claims worldwide than almost all other manufacturers... with the exception of Honda.

While the WRX STi may be slightly more troublesome than your average run-of-the-mill Forester or Outback, you can't expect a car with a cutting edge computer controlled AWD system and a turbocharged 2.5-Liter inline 4-cylinder pumping out 300hp and 300lb/ft to be quite as reliable or cheap to maintain as an econobox Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla...

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SS396chevelle:
quote:
WRX STi wagon.

Subaru, Toyota, and Honda are some of the top rated manufacturers in terms of overall build quality and reliability...

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/impreza/2012/subaru-trounces-honda-in-consumer-reports-rankings.html

Subaru's have statistically fewer warranty claims worldwide than almost all other manufacturers... with the exception of Honda.

While the WRX STi may be slightly more troublesome than your average run-of-the-mill Forester or Outback, you can't expect a car with a cutting edge computer controlled AWD system and a turbocharged 2.5-Liter inline 4-cylinder pumping out 300hp and 300lb/ft to be quite as reliable or cheap to maintain as an econobox Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla...

Thank god your here to clear things up mr car an driver.go talk to folks that work on this imported shit boxes everyday an see what the have to say on how low maintenance they are after you put over 100k on the clock
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the only maint. I've done to a WRX was I helped a co-worker replace the clutch on his `05 wrx.

holy shit on a stick did that suck. How convenient to have the front diff and half-shafts go into the transmission.

I had to use a cherry picker AND ratchet straps to get the engine at the right angle to stab the trans back in, lol. And it takes a half hour to remove and replace the intercooler, it's a pain to work on for sure.

however, they are reliable. My dad's `07 forrester has 130k miles and it's only had gas, oil and brakes.

[ July 05, 2012, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com