Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anyone know about Explorers?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone know about Explorers?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Ford Explorers, particularly a 1998 Eddie Bauer, 4x4, automatic, 4.0L. Are they any good or just another piece of shit SUV? I'm also wondering how much they can "realistically" tow. Any opinions would be great. Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I loved my 96 Eddie Bauer Explorer, i wanted more room though so i traded it in for my truck.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
I loved my 96 Eddie Bauer Explorer, i wanted more room though so i traded it in for my truck.

How reliable was it? I've never owned one but always hear the nickname "exploder" lol!

--------------------

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't anything about them but personally I wouldn't tow with one.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
I don't anything about them but personally I wouldn't tow with one.

Why wouldn't you tow with one?

--------------------

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had an 02 4.6L Eddie bauer, was a great all around vehicle. The transmissions were weak during those particular years and ours was always in the shop dealing with it.

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my girl has one and they are hands down one of the best trucks for the money. looks deceivingly expensive even though theyre cheap!lol hasnt broke down since shes had it.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:

How reliable was it? I've never owned one but always hear the nickname "exploder" lol!
It got that name cause of the Firestone tires not because of the vehicle. I never had any problems with it. i wouldn't tow anything big with the 4.0L though

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, firestone sold oem tires on the vehicle, ford had another idea to raise the tire psi to an unsafe level. Firestone did not agree. And won the case

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Wrenchin:
Well, firestone sold oem tires on the vehicle, ford had another idea to raise the tire psi to an unsafe level. Firestone did not agree. And won the case

i thought it was because the tire pressure was too low.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Oh lol...at least the name was due to the tire issue and not the car itself! Good to know.

Any other people have any experience with them?

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Oh lol...at least the name was due to the tire issue and not the car itself! Good to know.

Any other people have any experience with them?

The tires would blow and make the Explorer roll.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

iron50
¯
Member # 11231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron50  Ford pictures for iron50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my wife has a 2010 ironman edition !and she is very happy, [patriot]
 -

--------------------
You mama

Posts: 2025 | From: san pablo cal | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
iron50
¯
Member # 11231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron50  Ford pictures for iron50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

--------------------
You mama

Posts: 2025 | From: san pablo cal | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a 96 xlt. Loved the seats and the rear a/c, stock stereo was decent too. Mine had the OHV 4.0 v6 and was 2wd. I bought it at 62k miles and sold it at 98k. It was reliable up until I sold it, when in the same week it got p0300 (random/multiple cylinder misfire) and the indicator needle for what gear the transmission was in broke off. I figured it was an intake gasket leak as changing the (single) coil pack and changing the spark plugs didn't fix it, but who knows?

Should be fine to tow up to 5000lbs on a small trailer with trailer brakes, mine had pretty nice disc brakes all around, though going up hills would have sucked as the OHV 4.0L made what felt like 140rwhp...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2001 limited awd 5.0 they are great runs like a top u wont have too many issues with it unless you start towing. If u plan on towing buy the largest trans cooler u can get. The only issues i have with mine is the leather amd horrible gas mileage. Besides that your good to go.

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friend bought a 92 explorer v6 4wd for like 350 running just with a rad leak and we beat it to death for 3 months till he sold it topick and pull for 300

great car and off roading was fun as hell stock and we jumped that thing all the time

but it did almost roll ever everytime we did donuts

Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Sounds like they're pretty good cars for the price!

89rodknocker...what kind of mog's do you are with yours?

--------------------

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the v8 and all wheel drive im knocking down 18mpg on the highway. With the v6 and 4 wheel drive u should be able to get mid 20 on the highway

--------------------
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

They also make performance parts for them explorer express in napa make stuff for them. There also explorerforum.com

--------------------
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:
With the v8 and all wheel drive im knocking down 18mpg on the highway. With the v6 and 4 wheel drive u should be able to get mid 20 on the highway

nah, my v6 2wd at best got 21mpg, usually 16-18 though. And I'm one of the freaks that can get the best mpg out of anything, like 23mpg out of my wifes `08, 25mpg out of my `89 5.0 with 3.73's, and 24mpg out of my `97 fobra.

the explorers don't get good mileage, but if you don't believe me check www.fueleconomy.gov at the 'avg user ratings' for other real world examples -

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=1998&year2=1998&make=Ford&model=Explorer%204WD&srchtyp=ymm

they were only rated 15/18 from the epa, LOL.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got a 98 2wd with the 5.0 and it runs like a beast. This thing was neglected so bad and had almost 200K on it. It now has 212K and hasn't missed a beat, I've pulled a utility trailer a lot with it and had no issues. We paid $700 for it and we are getting almost double that back on insurance because some old lady backed into us. I'm not impressed with the V6 myself, the 5.0 is the best motor by far.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:

nah, my v6 2wd at best got 21mpg, usually 16-18 though. And I'm one of the freaks that can get the best mpg out of anything, like 23mpg out of my wifes `08, 25mpg out of my `89 5.0 with 3.73's, and 24mpg out of my `97 fobra.

the explorers don't get good mileage, but if you don't believe me check <a href="http://www.fueleconomy.gov" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.fueleconomy.gov</a> at the 'avg user ratings' for other real world examples -

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=1998&year2=1998&make=Ford&model=Explorer%204WD&srchtyp=ymm

they were only rated 15/18 from the epa, LOL.

Same here i can get good gas mileage out of anything, i think the best i got out of my v6 was 21 as well.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

85staNg302
¯
Member # 9450

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85staNg302  Ford pictures for 85staNg302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My cousin has a 00 4x4 with 174k runs great, and pretty comfy..plus you won't get pulled over to easy while driving under the influence lol we call it the "undercover" [Wink] and exploder for some reason
Posts: 1561 | From: sacramento | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com