Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » sheriff dept. process?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: sheriff dept. process?
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just passed the contra costa county written and physical test. have a interview on thursday morning. anyone here a cop, sherrif, ect. or has gone through the process? i know of 2 or 3 guys on here that are a sheriff or cop. would like to know what the process is like.

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
91_Bimini_Coupe
¯
Member # 11641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91_Bimini_Coupe  Ford pictures for 91_Bimini_Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good luck man [patriot] I will be going through this towards the end of this year after I get my bachelors.
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congratulations man...

I still have hope of one day becoming a leo... just have to push myself out of my comfort zone.

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm 30 and started to apply everywhere. Something I thought about doing for a while just never persued it. I've been doing hvac and sheet metal since I got out of high school. Now I'm out of work I've been more and more interested in it.

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Every Dept. does it a little different. You're basically still looking at,

Interview
Background Interview
Background Investigation
Psych
Poly
Medical

As far as COCO County I believe their interview is standard stuff like what would you do if you partner stole,job experience etc.

Be ready to work in jails for YEARS and best of luck to you man, I'm actually surprised they had a test with all the people in CA who already have a POST and the amount of officer's who were laid off by other Dept's. but hey that works for you right.

Again best of luck man if it's something you want to do go for it, you can also try out of State especially Corrections, I know HillTim just got hired by Oregon DOC so there are definitely career opportunities out there.

[ April 21, 2012, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: fstryde3 ]

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Much like fstryde3 stated, the two agencies I have tested with and worked for, it has been the following:

1.)Written/ physical agility test
2.)Oral board (maybe one person, could be upwards of three or more)
3.)Background packet/ Personal History Statement
4.)Background interview/ CVSA or Polygraph
5.)Possibly a second CVSA or Polygraph
6.)Background investigation
7.)Conditional Job Offer
8.)Medical /Psych

Is the position you're applying for a paid recruit or entry level deputy? Either way, many people will tell you the job market is impossible to get into or hired on if you're not not a golden boy. I can tell you from my own experience that is not true.

I self sponsored myself through the academy at 20 years old in 2008. Many told my I did not have a chance because I was too young and lacked life experience... probably true to some degree. Furthermore, I had no prior military experience and did not have a degree; I think I had 35 college units at the time. My parents are both recovering addicts and I did not have an, "In" by any means. I also had prior experience "experimenting" with marijuana...However, I was determined to accomplish my goal of becoming a law enforcement officer.

Long story short, I was hired by a local sheriff's department as an on-call (reserve) deputy and assigned to the jail. It was a paid position and 40+ hours a week, but there were no benefits. During that time, I was laid off for a period of time due to budget cuts and then hired back. When I was hired back, I also went to work as a reserve police officer for the agency I work for now. There was period of about 5 months when I worked 40+ hours a weeks at the jail and volunteered (Free) 30-40 hours a week in FTO... Ultimately, the hard work paid off. I was hired on full-time and I am now living the dream. Call me sick, but I love going into work every night and there is nothing else I could see myself doing. Every shift is a new adventure and something new to look forward to.

I obviously do not know your story or background, but if you have not done so already, go on a ride along before your interview. Ask the deputy about the interview you will be having, ask him about the department (Stuff that you aren't able to find on your own research), talk about the department philosophy. I'm sure stuff you already know.

Also, check out http://forums.officer.com/

This is a great resource. If there is a question you have, it has been asked and answered many times over.

Sorry for my soap box,

Congrats and making it to the next step, hope everything goes well for you.

[ April 21, 2012, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: rgtrahn ]

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Thanks for the info guys. I have a interview on thurs morning. So I'm trying to prep. I have a clean background, so hopefully it helps. Worse comes to worse. I will prob put myself through the academy. This is something I been wanting to do, so I'm gonna try to persue it

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com