Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » O/r x vs o/r h pipe

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: O/r x vs o/r h pipe
S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S550_Andres  Ford pictures for S550_Andres    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the difference between the o/r h and x? Which one is louder? Which one do you guys recomended.

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
X pipe is deff louder but h pipe has a depper growl.. Xpipe is the way to go..

--------------------
" A Wolf under sheep's clothing"-svoRICK 2/10/12
Almost everything I asked for.

88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWFOX:
X pipe is deff louder but h pipe has a depper growl.. Xpipe is the way to go..

+1. x for loud high pitch. h for low bass
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did quite a bit of testing on this topic a few years ago. X pipe makes more torque lower in the power band. H pipe makes more peak torque and horsepower. The difference is not much but is noticeable below 2500 rpm. the X is quieter with a chambered muffler and does not drone as bad as a H. For a street car I recommend the X.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In my opinion it depends on your car, catback and what sound you are going for. If you go chambered do not go X unless you want all the wrong attention, if you have a 5.0 I always personally prefer the H pipe sound but its really on you. Check out some sound clips on Youtube I'm sure you will find a combo you like.
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The H-pipe is designed to allow the excess pressure from one side to bleed over to the dormant, or "quiet side" of the exhaust system, resulting in low and mid-range torque gains. At higher loads and RPM however, the pressure can't bleed across the H-crossover fast enough to help peak horsepower. Some companies that use the H-pipe design attempt to overcome this by using a shorter length, thicker diameter crossover pipe.

The X-pipe usually features a conjoined crossover junction to help "synchronize" the exhaust pulses. The X-pipe concept is to split the exhaust flow in the crossover, so the pressure in both sides will be equal and pulse-free from the crossover on down, regardless of load and rpm. Volumetric efficiency (and power production) is pretty much improved at all engine loads and speeds. The downside to the X-pipe design is sound... Because of the crisscrossing of the exhaust flow, harmonic pulsations and resonance can develop on some systems at certain RPM, which usually manifests as a "drone" or "rasp".

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:
The H-pipe is designed to allow the excess pressure from one side to bleed over to the dormant, or "quiet side" of the exhaust system, resulting in low and mid-range torque gains. At higher loads and RPM however, the pressure can't bleed across the H-crossover fast enough to help peak horsepower. Some companies that use the H-pipe design attempt to overcome this by using a shorter length, thicker diameter crossover pipe.

The X-pipe usually features a conjoined crossover junction to help "synchronize" the exhaust pulses. The X-pipe concept is to split the exhaust flow in the crossover, so the pressure in both sides will be equal and pulse-free from the crossover on down, regardless of load and rpm. Volumetric efficiency (and power production) is pretty much improved at all engine loads and speeds. The downside to the X-pipe design is sound... Because of the crisscrossing of the exhaust flow, harmonic pulsations and resonance can develop on some systems at certain RPM, which usually manifests as a "drone" or "rasp".

If you wrote this out yourself hats off to you. If its a google copy and paste good job on finding the perfect definition [patriot]
S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S550_Andres  Ford pictures for S550_Andres    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks a lot guy this really helped and checked on you tube and I think I found a combo I liked

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com