Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » home security question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: home security question
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No I don't want to know about your rpg's/ak47s/45's/pit bulls lol

I want to set up a dvr camera system,maybe 4 or 5 cameras. Any input,suggestions. Last question do I need a dedicated cpu tower for the cameras?

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a nightowl system I bought from tigerdirect. It came with a DVR that can be linked to the internet and you can view your cameras remotely. I upgraded the cameras because the ones that came with it were weak. Then later added motion sensors.

All in all cost me about 1200.

Most systems will come with a dvr so no tower will be needed. Im in the process of trying to write a mobile app for my home system.

[ March 17, 2012, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a freind that does all this you want me to hook u guys up pm if u want his number...he wont charge u crazy like a company will and is real teckie..

--------------------
" A Wolf under sheep's clothing"-svoRICK 2/10/12
Almost everything I asked for.

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
I have a nightowl system I bought from tigerdirect. It came with a DVR that can be linked to the internet and you can view your cameras remotely. I upgraded the cameras because the ones that came with it were weak. Then later added motion sensors.

Most systems will come with a dvr so no tower will be needed. Im in the process of trying to write a mobile app for my hom

e system.

Got the nightowl too about 2 weeks ago.

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT convertible
Bright Atlantic Blue (1 of 247)

20 year club.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stanger50:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Most systems will come with a dvr so no tower will be needed. Im in the process of trying to write a mobile app for my hom

e system.

You may need to upgrade the cameras. My night vision was not that great. Did you get wire less cameras?
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
N8 so what do you recommend? I don't want to buy shitty cameras or buy cameras I don't need.
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

But seriously, a setup like this is good. My mom has a similar setup out at the dock watching her boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-PKD-DK0865-500GB-Internet-Accessible-8-Channel/dp/B00516547C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1332034628&sr=8-7

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
SLPR93
¯
Member # 8769

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLPR93  Ford pictures for SLPR93  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the cheap dvr cam set up like $250 hooked up to my router. and on a app on my phone so i could see all 4 cams take pictures anytime plus it records like 2500hr good deal for the price
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by phonso302:
N8 so what do you recommend? I don't want to buy shitty cameras or buy cameras I don't need.

The nightowl system was a good deal. But I have a really long driveway, so I needed a little better resolution. But out the box it is cool. When I get to a computer I will see if I can find links to what I have. Oh yea, I had to buy a monitor as well, for the in house viewing.
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

The nightowl system was a good deal. But I have a really long driveway, so I needed a little better resolution. But out the box it is cool. When I get to a computer I will see if I can find links to what I have. Oh yea, I had to buy a monitor as well, for the in house viewing.
Last question, is it possible to hook up to a regular tv to watch cameras or videos.
dubfive-0
¯
Member # 8965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dubfive-0  Ford pictures for dubfive-0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Last question, is it possible to hook up to a regular tv to watch cameras or videos.
Yes is possible [patriot]

--------------------
1966 FALCON futura (sports coupe)
1991 five-0

rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayski25  Ford pictures for rayski25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've hooked a few of these up in some friends houses, my only advice is to go wireless it's 75% easier to install an don't have to run any cables, it's worth the few extra bucks.

--------------------
66 mustang v6 converted to 351w(sold)
89 mustang lx(sold)
88 mustang gt(current DD)

STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much more are the wireless camera systems?

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
TopNotchCoupe707
¯
Member # 9740

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TopNotchCoupe707  Ford pictures for TopNotchCoupe707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have the nightowl set up had both wireless and hard wire and hard wire is better due to frequency scanners easy to jam with even just a cell phone plus no lag with wireless

--------------------
As I lay rubber down the street, traction i pray to keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride!!

Posts: 274 | From: sac 2 vallejo | Registered: Jan 2010  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by TopNotchCoupe707:
Have the nightowl set up had both wireless and hard wire and hard wire is better due to frequency scanners easy to jam with even just a cell phone plus no lag with wireless

This.... I also upgraded my wiring.
stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by N8:

e system.

You may need to upgrade the cameras. My night vision was not that great. Did you get wire less cameras? [/QUOTE

--------------------

20 year club.

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by N8:

e system.

You may need to upgrade the cameras. My night vision was not that great. Did you get wire less cameras? [/QUOTE

The night vision is BS on 2 cams I have, which were out of the box. I dont have the wireless set-up. Cost me $465 with acer monitor. (Sold seperate)

--------------------

20 year club.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com