Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » GT40 Tubular on CL

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: GT40 Tubular on CL
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks decent at $350

http://stockton.craigslist.org/pts/2903613989.html

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JUNKYARD5.0:
Looks decent at $350

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are these like the best flowing intakes?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:

Nope, they flow almost similar to the Cobra and the Explorer but they weigh less and IMO they look better.

Aftermarket intakes are still a better bang for a buck though! [patriot]

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

quote:
Originally posted by DIRTY SALLY:
quote:
Looks decent at $350

[Roll Eyes]
What are you supposed to be the new hidn.o.s? [Confused]

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Nope, they flow almost similar to the Cobra and the Explorer but they weigh less and IMO they look better.

Then what cars these come off of? I see dudes pay hella money for these that's why I ask on the flow.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

quote:
quote:
quote:

Then what cars these come off of? I see dudes pay hella money for these that's why I ask on the flow.
There's a couple different style of the upper intake. The vacuum arrangement is different on some of the uppers. I think is an early Ford Motorsport one, a production Lightning (90's)one, and a later Ford Racing one.

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's a really good deal, they typically sell for $500

Im on my phone so I can't see......but near the dizzy cutout on the lower......is there an "AA" or "BA" in the part number

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
sinisterblk
¯
Member # 8425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinisterblk  Ford pictures for sinisterblk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope people don't pay $500 bucks for these. when you can get a way better intake for that amount.

The gt40, cobra, explorer, bbk, typhoon, rpm are all very close.
Then the rpm II, trick flow, and systemax are all close but much better than the aforementioned.

Posts: 549 | From: angels camp | Registered: May 2008  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sinisterblk:
I hope people don't pay $500 bucks for these. when you can get a way better intake for that amount.

The gt40, cobra, explorer, bbk, typhoon, rpm are all very close.
Then the rpm II, trick flow, and systemax are all close but much better than the aforementioned.

can i ask what you have based this opinion on ?

after buying my first 5.0 in 1990, i still think the gt40 tubular is the best option for an intake

yes it needs to be port matched if your over the 400 hp mark, but a stock intake will perform just fine to about 350

i have heard people claim a real 40 will "hold you back" and other such nonsense

as i stood 20 yrs ago...i stand today......

gt40 is THS SHIT !!!!!!!!

and back to my previous post..... to clarify that all gt40 are NOT all gt40 and the port sizes for the intakes

The BA lower is .96"x1.65" and the AA lower is 1.00" x 1.80"

BA is explorer for sure and probably later or repo cobra but i cant say that without verification from some cobra owners

AA is "real" gt40 and what you want.

same as the "p" heads and the argument that the "plug angle" is optimized so they are better

haha yeah sure.....and the tiny valves totally negate that by
-300%

+1 on tubular GT40

heres mine (or 1 of 3 i have had)

-

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

quote:

Then what cars these come off of? I see dudes pay hella money for these that's why I ask on the flow

they didnt come off anything...they were the ford motorsport (frpp as you might know it) performance intake

the cobra upper is a mass produced version of it...its cast instead of spun aluminum

the cast will retain heat but can can be ported, but the spun separated runners dont need to be ported. a ported gt40 lower and box stock tubular upper will support 600 HP

FYI.....flow usually doesnt mean shit...velocity is whats important until you have a restriction

thats why peeps with stock heads and upgraded EVERYTHING else still only go 13's

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by nitrous_bob:
quote:

Then what cars these come off of? I see dudes pay hella money for these that's why I ask on the flow

they didnt come off anything...they were the ford motorsport (frpp as you might know it) performance intake

the cobra upper is a mass produced version of it...its cast instead of spun aluminum

the cast will retain heat but can can be ported, but the spun separated runners dont need to be ported. a ported gt40 lower and box stock tubular upper will support 600 HP

FYI.....flow usually doesnt mean shit...velocity is whats important until you have a restriction

thats why peeps with stock heads and upgraded EVERYTHING else still only go 13's

So this intake will out-perform my edelbrock?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With a properly ported lower, the tubular upper is a fantastic street intake. It does not heat soak like the cast intakes and will out power most aftermaket intakes to roughly 5000 rpm on a 302. If nothing else it looks sweet and it has class.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by copcar:
With a properly ported lower, the tubular upper is a fantastic street intake. It does not heat soak like the cast intakes and will out power most aftermaket intakes to roughly 5000 rpm on a 302. If nothing else it looks sweet and it has class.

I like that "and it has class" Ive been out of the foxbody game for a little bit now and am not to sure on what types of new intakes or revisions that are out there but damn the GT40 still looks great!
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nitrous_bob:
[QUOTE]

So this intake will out-perform my edelbrock?
It will probably perform exactly the same way

Most people, including myself, use total overkill on an intake and TB, MAF

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Yeah I don't know what TB to run on my car, I just noticed yesterday that's all I'm missing.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd keep my Holley systemax 2 over this crap any day of the week... Never understood why these cost so much. Guess its like gt40 heads.

You could buy them and port them only to almost be comparable to aftermarket heads.

Not knocking anyone who has one. Everyone has a different intention. The price should be a bit less tho

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's mine, engine was a little dirty after taking my Vortech off. I loved it though, would ring to 6,800 RPM's through it all day with a set of GT-40P heads and a E-303 cam.

-

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Actualy the explorer out flows all three of them and cost almost nothing but it is an ugly intake

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i like the explorer!
87 coupe
¯
Member # 10919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 coupe  Ford pictures for 87 coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This my tubular
 -

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
I'd keep my Holley systemax 2 over this crap any day of week

+1 [worship]

A gt40 intake better than my systemax?! Lmao ya right [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in the 90s these intakes went for $500 plus!
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com