Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » SMOG news (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: SMOG news
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I went to get a smog yesterday and was talking to the Tech and he was telling me that ALL smog techs Are now on a report card system through the state of CA.

What this means simply is there will be more FAILS as Techs are afraid of loosing their license.The smog Techs get ding'd everytime the have to do a restart and other things.

for ex: lets say you come in and the CAT on your car is cold and the tech runs it seeing that you may not pass and does a re-start now that he has warmed your CAT up. that is A ding against him. This Tech showed me his report card which if you get the Techs license number you can look online at their report card on the state website.

So for those going to get a legit smog make sure you make an appointment and warm that cat up before going in! make sure that tech takes your car right away, as you dont want the cat to cool down too much!

for those getting faulty smogs, congrats your smog hook up will be more $$$ now, more then likely.

The Tech also mentioned that here soon there will be Cameras in shops that have a direct feed to the state and they will be able to view footage of smogs. Some of you may call BS on this but this shop has always kept their nose clean and they are straight and by the book. everything hes every told me, he has shown me proof either there on the spot or as soon as the new protocol kicked in.just trying to give everyone a heads up.

[ February 14, 2012, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: v-town coupe ]

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
So I went to get a smog yesterday and was talking to the Tech and he was telling me that ALL smog techs Are now on a report card system through the state of CA.

What this means simply is there will be more FAILS as Techs are afraid of loosing their license.The smog Techs get ding'd everytime the have to do a restart and other things.

for ex: lets say you come in and the CAT on your car is cold and the tech runs it seeing that you may not pass and does a re-start now that he has warmed your CAT up. that is A ding against him. This Tech showed me his report card which if you get the Techs license number you can look online at their report card on the state website.

So for those going to get a legit smog make sure you make an appointment and warm that cat up before going in! make sure that tech takes your car right away, as you dont want the cat to cool down too much!

for those getting faulty smogs, congrats your smog hook up will be more $$$ now, more then likely.

The Tech also mentioned that here soon there will be Cameras in shops that have a direct feed to the state and they will be able to view footage of smogs. Some of you may call BS on this but this shop has always kept their nose clean and they are straight and by the book. everything hes every told me, he has shown me proof either there on the spot or as soon as the new protocol kicked in.just trying to give everyone a heads up.

the state is broke. They are not going to spend millions of dollars for closed circuit TV of your smog tech lol!

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
quote:

the state is broke. They are not going to spend millions of dollars for closed circuit TV of your smog tech lol!
thats why the cost is being passed onto the the shops!
stock fox
¯
Member # 9211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stock fox  Ford pictures for stock fox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuck ca, you dam near have to smog a bycile now days lol

--------------------
🏁Sleeper notch under construction🏁
86 Notchback stang

Posts: 1849 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2009  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

thats why someone needs to just have an all stock fox and for a few bucks slap the other persons plate on their car and get the smog done.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like we need two motors, one for smog one for fun. [Mad]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18532 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

or make sure you use all carb approved stuff and stay up on your maintenance. or get an address in clear lake!LOL
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i love living in arizona now...no smog where my car is registerd at...

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_2251-2300/ab_2289_bill_20100924_chaptered.html

"Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.
Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.
AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer."

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
quote:

state has nothing to the way the bar smog programs is ran.the bar runs of the fines the get from shops an techs doing there jobs wrong.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

This sounds like a scare tactic only and not true at all. Highly doubt this would ever happen. The Tech is gullible as hell if he believes that.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Mustang Guru
¯
Member # 4119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustang Guru  Ford pictures for Mustang Guru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
or make sure you use all carb approved stuff and stay up on your maintenance. or get an address in clear lake!LOL

Been that way for 8 years now LOL

--------------------
1990 x-chp highway lil 302
1977 caprice classic 2dr.{Sold} 1988 coupe 4cyl dd{sold}

Posts: 1171 | From: Uptown Bound | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
quote:

This sounds like a scare tactic only and not true at all. Highly doubt this would ever happen. The Tech is gullible as hell if he believes that.
it going to happen every shop that does smogs are held to a higher standard the just a reg automotive repair shop.my shop has a bar rep that comes out every three months to check are machine are scan tools an make sure are scan tools have the newest software for are scan tools/lab scope an we have to perform a smog check there is one written up to be done.
kast1376
¯
Member # 8499

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kast1376  Ford pictures for kast1376    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_2251-2300/ab_2289_bill_20100924_chaptered.html

[/i]

So I think I am confused....When I have to smog in 2014, they won't do a tailpipe test, just a visual and then a OBD 2 check. If you have a tune on your car that doesn't throw a CEL, will they be able to tell? If you have an catted x but don't throw a CEL, will it be OK (provided they don't notice the missing pre-cats?

It reads like it might be easier to pass smog with a newer car that has had some performance work done to it.

Posts: 189 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
stangrus95
¯
Member # 10653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangrus95  Ford pictures for stangrus95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Ya know what I have my car registered in the mountains and none of my girls familys cars need to get smoged I have mine up there to and they just fuckin sent me a form to smog which is bullshit! So even registering it in other places like that doent always mean ur safe..

--------------------
Damned if you do...
Damned if you don't...

1995 5.0 mustang gt-275/321--kid napped :(
1990 5.0 mustang gt-sold

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangrus95:
quote:

Ya know what I have my car registered in the mountains and none of my girls familys cars need to get smoged I have mine up there to and they just fuckin sent me a form to smog which is bullshit! So even registering it in other places like that doent always mean ur safe..
Yes it does, my car has been registered up North for seven years and I've never had to smog it. I also have buddies that are registered up there and they've never gotten a letter that says you have to smog your vehicle.

You can still make big power (700+RW) and pass smog in a fox, in Cali...

[ February 15, 2012, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Greasy ]

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its a bunch of MEDIOCRE HORSE SHITT!!!! Everytime I drive by the Chevron refinary that shitt is spewwing out smoke by the tons 24/7.365days a week. All the refining factories who gets too keep smogg tabbs on them???? I dnt see no huge ass Catalic Converters on those emmision pipes. Get thaa fuck outta here....

[ February 15, 2012, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: lxhatch5.0 ]

--------------------
*NorCal

nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
havent smogged my cars in ten years.got them registered to my dads place in cloverdale ca..
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kast1376:
quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:

So I think I am confused....When I have to smog in 2014, they won't do a tailpipe test, just a visual and then a OBD 2 check. If you have a tune on your car that doesn't throw a CEL, will they be able to tell? If you have an catted x but don't throw a CEL, will it be OK (provided they don't notice the missing pre-cats?

It reads like it might be easier to pass smog with a newer car that has had some performance work done to it.

Yeah, from what i've read, and been told, any smog test on a 2000 model year car or newer will just be a plug-in read of the OBDII, and a thorough visual inspection. No sniffer. If your computer isn't throwing a CEL, and you pass visual, you pass...
Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is the main reason my boss sold the smog machine. Smog is bullshit. My shop lost its gold shield because of not enough failures and not enough tailpipe repairs. They don't take into account customer demographics which is bullshit.

BAR wants to catch violations, so they keep making money. That's why they send in bait cars and audit your past smog tests. And they don't even make it fair for techs. For instance a scanner should be able to run an evap self test on any OBD2 car. Mitsubishi to maserati and in between. They don't want you heating up the cat before testing. No checking to see if enough monitors have run. It's bullshit.

This state (and country for that matter) have way more important shit they should he doing than this BS. Some lobbyist at legislature who has nothing better to do than make up bullshit laws. I wish they would all where long neck jewelry and lean over very close above a running engine.

Cows in cali produce way more emissions than cars. But I don't see an oxidation catalyst coming out of their asses (i give it till 2020, 2014 is jerry brown gets re-elected)

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Ryn621
¯
Member # 11276

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryn621  Ford pictures for Ryn621    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
smog is bull crap. i got hit with a undercover, it was a 95 chevy impala. it was missing a pcv. it was hidden good
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bentley mobs a stang:
This is the main reason my boss sold the smog machine. Smog is bullshit. My shop lost its gold shield because of not enough failures and not enough tailpipe repairs . They don't take into account customer demographics which is bullshit.

BAR wants to catch violations, so they keep making money. That's why they send in bait cars and audit your past smog tests. And they don't even make it fair for techs. For instance a scanner should be able to run an evap self test on any OBD2 car. Mitsubishi to maserati and in between. They don't want you heating up the cat before testing. No checking to see if enough monitors have run. It's bullshit.

This state (and country for that matter) have way more important shit they should he doing than this BS. Some lobbyist at legislature who has nothing better to do than make up bullshit laws. I wish they would all where long neck jewelry and lean over very close above a running engine.

Cows in cali produce way more emissions than cars. But I don't see an oxidation catalyst coming out of their asses (i give it till 2020, 2014 is jerry brown gets re-elected)

Now that is some crooked shit.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 327:
quote:
Originally posted by bentley mobs a stang:
This is the main reason my boss sold the smog machine. Smog is bullshit. My shop lost its gold shield because of not enough failures and not enough tailpipe repairs . They don't take into account customer demographics which is bullshit.

Now that is some crooked shit.
Thats just capitalism, those bigg wiggs can get away with that & more.

--------------------
*NorCal

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not capitalists. It's activists. Shop owners are capitalists.

--------------------

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

I honestly think in the next 10 years or less, smogs will be done at a dmv type of establishment. No more private shops, BAR will drop them like last nights dinner after an early morning cigarette.

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com