Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » For the AR-15 Enthusiasts (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: For the AR-15 Enthusiasts
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm building a new AR-15 for a family member(all legal, and registered) I just thought I'd give you guys some of the info on the build.

I started out with a stripped FranklinArmory lower reciever ($140). A DPMS lower parts kit ($60). An FDE Ergo SureGrip($25). A DoubleStar milspec buffer tube kit with the M-4 buttstock ($80). A SpikesTactical M-4 upper reciever with an M-16 bolt carrier group and milspec charging handle$(485). And Lewis Machine&Tool back up rear sight.($130).

Pics and vids from the range soon to come.

[ February 10, 2012, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: RONIN ]

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
buy better roll pins now! the ones in the dpms kit always seem real tight. Also when guying a spikes upper hit up AIM surplus and get free shipping plus the free upgrade to a magpul moe front handguard. also consider going mid length gas over carbine it is soooo much better. good luck if you have any questions you can hit me up just completed my 19th lower about 6 months ago.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5035MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+5.56%2f.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=301&search=upper

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ironic you should post a thread about AR's.

Christmas came a little late this year and I was just issued my new rifle today.

We went away from the Mini 14 and received 100 brand new in the box S&W MP 15. Came with magpul flip up iron sights, two 30 rnd magazines, single point sling and I purchased a Eotech optic.

Spent all day at the range... Had a blast [dance]

-

-

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you say we got a 100 new in the box rifles. is that your department? or do you work at a gun shop?etc? nice rifle though 100x better then the mini. after my 1st AR I sold my mini!
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

this is my newest one I finished about 6 months ago. its now sporting an aimpoint.
 -

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I already have everything I listed above. The DPMS roll pins seem a little tight but I hammered them in no problem. I kinda marred up the finish a tad bit on the trigger guard hole and the bolt catch roll pin hole but overall I am very happy with how it came out. This is my second build. My last one was with an 80% lower. I got the upper from DSGarm.com

Eventually my brother will add a drop-in surefire quad rail.

I'm gonna get it sighted in with some M855 LakeCity steel core ammo because that is what we primarily will be shooting with.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

RONIN I recommend the raddlock for a good BB.
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
this is my newest one I finished about 6 months ago. its now sporting an aimpoint.
 -

Nice build V-Town ! That is a very nice middy. I like the M.O.E. Handguard .

Please tell me about your build and why you chose the mid length gas system over carbine or rifle length. I can appreciate the insight.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

I went middy because

-Reliability,although ill never be in a war mid-length gas system is more reliable then carbine.

-More hand guard real-estate,allows more room to grab the handguard.

-Increase sight radius, with the sights further apart you will increase accuracy while shooting open sighted.

-softer shooting, the mid-length takes a little recoil out of the rifle for faster follow up shots. which is great if you like the double taps or plan to shoot competitions

-appearance, to me on a 16"+ barreled rifle there is such a thing of too much barrel hanging out IMO. I think middy looks more balanced and im eventually going to go dissapator with this rifle so youll see lots of hand guard and pretty much just the muzzle device at the end.

-Reliability, did I already say that? even though i will not see combat time, some carbine rifles have been known to short stroke with certain Ammo where I know this will shoot any grain, well..... almost any all the way up to atleast 75 grain.

hope this is the answer you were looking for.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

the build is

a 16" mid length spikes chf upper.

the barrel is cold forged hammer with the 2x chrome lining and manufactured by FN for spikes tactical.

the upper receiver is forged with m4 feed ramps.

the bolt and carrier are m16 milspec,mp and hpi tested and has been nickle boron coated(looks almost like chrome, it increases lubricity)

the lower is a spikes tactical forged lower
with a RRA parts kit,
magpul trigger guard,
spikes ST-2 buffer,
KNS anti-roll pins,
I also used JP yellow trigger/ hammer springs and polished the sear surfaces,
I also tapped the pistol grip hole and have used a set screw to clean up some of the "take up" on the trigger. feels great and very crisp.
hogue overmold grip,
noveske QD end plate,
mil-spec buffer tube and spring with a magpul CTR butt stock,
Raddlock GEN X BB.

I now have an aimpoint comp ml2 on it and have also added a Troy DOA rear flip up sight.

I want to order a BCM gunfighter, they are great have had them on all my other AR rifles. also want to get a nice aftermarket trigger, but I'll rock what I have for now as im not much into it and it feels great.

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My scraper...

-

-

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
My scraper...

-

-

Nice that's got some rail !
SAV650HAB
¯
Member # 10324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAV650HAB  Ford pictures for SAV650HAB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
My scraper...

-

-

that shits huge! i can put mine in a backpack" ill have my bro post it up [patriot] "SAV SVT"

--------------------
SAVAGE HABITS 'CAR CLUB' VP 650/510/707/209
NOR-CAL KINGZ....... YAH 2 CHAINZ!!!!!!
"WE OUT HERE" 7th ST....STEP IT UP A NOTCH
88 coupe FTW!

Posts: 5091 | From: SHOREVIEW E.S SAN MATEO | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haven't built one yet but do plan to build one soon just been liking these ak builds here is a couple I own
 -
 -
And here's one my boy ows that I would like to build mine like
 -

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
SAV SVT
¯
Member # 7848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAV SVT  Ford pictures for SAV SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here the Beast is!!!

-

--------------------
-SAVAGE HABITS-
SVT COBRA VERT

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

quote:
Originally posted by SAV SVT:
Here the Beast is!!!

-

That looks like the kittykat 7 inch upper. Hope you have that registered as a pistol because if not thats serious shit if you get caught with it.
SAV650HAB
¯
Member # 10324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAV650HAB  Ford pictures for SAV650HAB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RONIN:
quote:
Originally posted by SAV SVT:
Here the Beast is!!!

-

That looks like the kittykat 7 inch upper. Hope you have that registered as a pistol because if not thats serious shit if you get caught with it.
yup its only brought out for serious biz [Wink] thanks for the concern [patriot]

--------------------
88 coupe FTW!

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
Haven't built one yet but do plan to build one soon just been liking these ak builds here is a couple I own
 -
 -
And here's one my boy ows that I would like to build mine like
 -

AK-47 are great for the budget minded and enthusiasts. I just dont like how most rebuild kits these days come with US barrels and you have to have a certain amount of american made parts for them to be legal. I was going to build a polish unfolder a while back but changed direction. Another thing AK's have going for them is that 7.62x39 ammo is cheap as hell in comparison to 5.56
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not only is the amo cheap, but you can abuse and shoot the crap out of them, and don't have to service them like you do with other rifles, and they shoot pretty damn straight as well

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not skip all the bullshit and build an unregistered 5.45x39???

Best of both worlds

[ February 11, 2012, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: phil a ]

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
SAV650HAB
¯
Member # 10324

mine wins! [Wink] kittykat kit ftw! [dance]

--------------------
88 coupe FTW!

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol 18"!!

--------------------
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _

SAV650HAB
¯
Member # 10324

quote:
Lol 18"!!

[Big Grin] lmfao getting mad bruh? can care less, all im saying is im glad i can conceal mine [Cool]

--------------------
88 coupe FTW!

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

I hear ya... I'm gonna redo the upper here soon, shorten it up a bit, Troy fore grip and an optic. I wana build a AK as well... This is mine n FR5.0's last trip to the range lol...

-

--------------------
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Damn with all this interest, and fire arms enthusiast. A CAfords range day or an AR lower building party should be organized!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com