Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Drilled/Slotted rotors from ebay

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Drilled/Slotted rotors from ebay
35THANVGT
¯
Member # 10953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 35THANVGT  Ford pictures for 35THANVGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
has anyone had experiences buying the drilled and slotted rotors for your mustang off ebay? seems like a good deal but i want to make sure their not pieces of crap...thanks guys
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most are crap.
Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, a long time ago, before I knew any better, read reviews, posted on forums, etc., I actually bought a pair of drilled/slotted rotors for the front and back.

After 2 years, the fronts finally warped. Changed those back to stock Brembos.

Today, I still have the same rear slotted/drilled rotors and the brake pad wear is minimal. (However, I don't drive my car often).

If I had read reviews on forums about those ebay rotors, I wouldn't have bought them. However, they have been perfectly fine for me.

I can't figure out where I bought them from though. It was so long ago, my ebay doesn't have a record of it.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
35THANVGT
¯
Member # 10953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 35THANVGT  Ford pictures for 35THANVGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys.. I'm probably better off just buying the rotors off AM then
ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ this, I got my rear rotors and brake pads from them
35THANVGT
¯
Member # 10953

quote:
Originally posted by ZincYellowGt281:
^ this, I got my rear rotors and brake pads from them

Did you get them from AM or eBay?
ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got them from american muscle, I think they have really good pricing. they also offer discounts codes.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off what are you doing with your car? Drag, Street/Strip, Full Show, Auto-X, Open Tracking? It makes a HUGE difference on what kind of driving you do, and how hard you drive your car as to what type of Rotor/Pad combo you get.

If you do alot of Drag only, drilled only is best. Weight loss in rotor, plus the fact you really don't use the brakes as much as most.

Drilled/Slotted rotors are great for people that do street/strip driving. The drilling allows for dust and gasses to escape through the holes and out the vents at the end of the rotor, while the slots cut a fresh layer of the pad every time brakes are applied. This helps reduce glazing of the rotor. Allowing better pad to rotor contact.

Slotted only are great for Auto-X/Open Track racing. They keep the Strength of a solid rotor but as listed above, make for better overall pad contact. So why Slotted only, over drilled/slotted? Under extreme conditions of Road Racing for longer periods, the rotors and pads can go from 400*-1300* easily. Now some will push that the drilled rotor can cool faster, and this is true, but the methods that most companies that offer cheap drilled rotors do not drill the rotor properly so not to reduce the structural integrity of the rotor. And the old thing, "Well Ferrari uses Drilled only Rotors." Yeah, but those are made from all carbon, or mostly carbon mixes. They handle the heat and disapate it much faster than regular Iron rotors.

So before just buying "What looks cool" Think about your application and if you would like the rotor to last.

There are a few ebay companies that sell a Brembo based rotor. Any of the New Power slot rotors are Brembo based rotors, if they do not say where or what type of rotor they use, call and ask.

Some companies offer Plating or Powder Coating for the rotors. Honestly it does help with preventing rust in the center of the rotor. Helps the rotor keep a clean appearance. Don't worry if the rotor is coated where the pad makes contact. The pads will clear the coating off the contact surface pretty quick.

Hope this may help anyone.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have them on my car and they work fine...quality is the same as autozone kragen ect. All from chinalol.

If ur planning on doing anyhing beshides cruising and light drag racing, Id prolly get the expensive ones. If not they work fine.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got mine out of LA the company made their own rotors mine are drilled Nd slotted counter sunk too zinc coated very good performance out of them too I love the look they are also certified I forget by what but the rotors actually need the cert to be street legal

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went with Brembo's Grand Turismo brake kit. The rotors in the GT kit are so thick that they wont work with the stock tie rod ends. No problems with warpage in the 4 years that this kit has been taking abuse behined my 2001 Cobra.
 -
 - [burnout]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
35THANVGT
¯
Member # 10953

Yeah there gonna be on my daily driver.. Thanks for the help guys
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just get some EBC dimpled and slotted rotors , you can get the front pair for a 100-150
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got some ebay crossdrilled/slotted rotors on my Porsche. have about 20k miles on them no issues. ill be buying another set when they go.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll try to take some pics this weekend of what some of my old brembo rotors and powerslots look like after a track day. I have old sets that have: spider web cracks, heat warped, full split cracks. Just be careful what you choose is all I'm saying

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought some for my mustang they worked great! Did the job no complaint

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com