Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Snowboarding - knee injuries and braces?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Snowboarding - knee injuries and braces?
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anybody have knee injuries here but like to snowboard? I have a torn ACL/meniscus/MCL - had the ACL replaced with a donor, and the doctors shaved off ~30% of my meniscus. I miss boarding to all hell but I know I can't hit the slopes without some sort of support. I don't think these 30 dollar Longs Drugs braces will do the job, but then some of the specialty ones are like 500 bucks! Not sure what I want to try and use here, so does anybody have experience with this?

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It would make sense to get the best brace possible. Your knee will never be as strong as it was.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I totally agree with that. Since the injury I sold my dirt bike and I no longer ride my mountain bike like I used to. But the price of braces [Eek!] I wonder if insurance can cover something like this.

--------------------
94 GT

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DLo:
I totally agree with that. Since the injury I sold my dirt bike and I no longer ride my mountain bike like I used to. But the price of braces [Eek!] I wonder if insurance can cover something like this.

Just think, a new brace is only a fraction of what it costs time and money wise if you hurt your knee again.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never been to the snow before [Frown]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Anybody have knee injuries here but like to snowboard? I have a torn ACL/meniscus/MCL - had the ACL replaced with a donor, and the doctors shaved off ~30% of my meniscus. I miss boarding to all hell but I know I can't hit the slopes without some sort of support. I don't think these 30 dollar Longs Drugs braces will do the job, but then some of the specialty ones are like 500 bucks! Not sure what I want to try and use here, so does anybody have experience with this?

I ride and ski. Honestly, if you enjoy shreddin or just the adrenaline rush of bombing a hill, I would just take up skiing. It will be slightly easier on your knee (given that your bindings are good). Especially if you fall.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

I used to ski before I went to a snowboard. It's the twisting of the knee or buckling that worries me most. I thought at least a board would be better since you can rely on the strength of your good leg to kind of make up for it.

--------------------
94 GT

03smknsvt
¯
Member # 5514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03smknsvt  Ford pictures for 03smknsvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got the same problem on my left knee..got to painreliever.com they have some of the best braces and good prices..I got mine from there for $200 and it feels great on my knee

--------------------
03 silver cobra #3461 out of 8394
96 gt supercharged
03 mach 1
93 cobra
99 black bird
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Awesome, thanks!! Which one do you have?

--------------------
94 GT

03smknsvt
¯
Member # 5514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03smknsvt  Ford pictures for 03smknsvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Awesome, thanks!! Which one do you have?

Gladiator sport hinged one

--------------------
03 silver cobra #3461 out of 8394
96 gt supercharged
03 mach 1
93 cobra
99 black bird
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Jesse
¯
Member # 312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse  Ford pictures for Jesse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have good insurance you can sometimes get the Dr. to get the insurance to cover a good one. I wakeboard and have some friends that have gotten their Dr.s to get this done after a knee injury. It's cheaper for them in the long run...

Jesse

Posts: 1342 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had half my mincus taken and i have gone snowboarding, only thing that hurt was my muscles cause i wasn't used to it. I haven't gone since dislocating my knee cap but if i did i wouldn't use a brace. If i can hike with a 45lb fire pack and a 50lb hose pack on my back up 100% slopes i think i can snowboard.
Maybe you should go and do the bunny slopes and see how your knee feels before doing the hard stuff.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How long ago was your cadaver knee put in give it at least two years before trying those sports. When I had a torn acl I had to wait at least that long to try snow boarding and wake boarding but yea I know how you feel, you just want to get out there and tear it up like it never happened !

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com