Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Ram Trucks

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ram Trucks
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know I know Ford forum but hey I know a lot of you are car/truck guys and mechanics. I have a dilemma, I may be looking to get into a truck and believe me all I want is an F-150 but the new F-150's and the dealers are trying to rape me on price. I do like the Tundras but way too expensive and I'd stick my thumb up my ass before I drove a Chevy!

So my question is what do you guys think/know/experienced with the Ram 1500? Elk Grove Ford has a killer deal on them? Anyways sorry for the non Ford post but maybe you guys can help. Appreciate it in advance.

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had a 06 5.7l hemi for 5 year and now has 120k miles. Been a great truck and has lots of power. Pulled my 68 to hot august nights with ease over the summit. Didnt even have trailer brakes. Only problem with these trucks is they go thru rotors pretty fast. But rotors are only 60 bucks a pair, so to replace them Every other year isn't that big of deal. I had a f150 lariet and it was a piece of shit, will never own a ford truck again

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i kno this is a ford forum too but to be honest, id rather buy a 1500 chevy than a 1500 dodge. i like the way the chevys look more than the dodges...plus their motors are already well proven.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont do it.

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I actually looked at the Sierra 1500 at least is doesn't have the bowtie on the front and yeah have heard weird things about the ram that's why I wanted to ask.
louisiana96
¯
Member # 9967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for louisiana96  Ford pictures for louisiana96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a dodge and loved it... Awsome truck but I want a f250

--------------------
96gt
Slow.6

Aka: what96

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know someone selling a 1500 Dodge, PM me if interested.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brand new the dodge is going to be your best bang for your buck. The Chevy is probably the better of the the big three and usually all I buy are Chevy trucks because bottom line they are purpose built trucks if you need a truck to be a truck it's the one. The ford looks great inside and out but it's a turd. It's basically a really great family car with a bed which is fine if you just use it as a "home owners tool". But for the price ford wants I'll pass
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Everyone I have ever known who has made the switch to Dodge has loved their truck. Can't say the same about Ford. The point about the Ford being a family car with a bed is a very good way to put it. Down side to the Dodge is resale value.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So why is it that 90% of the work trucks are ford. I've worked construction for 10years and that's all I see is ford. Must be doing something right. And Im not a ford crazy fan I like them all.
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have experience with a 1500 Dodge but I've had my 2500 Cummins for a couple years and love it. I've driven back and forth between Cali and TX a few times with no issues, even pulling my car out here I averaged 85MPH. When it comes time for me to get a new truck I will be looking at Dodge again.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Slow05GT
¯
Member # 8408

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slow05GT  Ford pictures for Slow05GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2500 ram 5.9 pulls great gets 11mpg.
Posts: 2233 | From: Natomas, ca | Registered: May 2008  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by poisonpony96:
So why is it that 90% of the work trucks are ford. I've worked construction for 10years and that's all I see is ford. Must be doing something right. And Im not a ford crazy fan I like them all.

+1, very true.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I was doing construction all of our service trucks were ford but the big boys were Chevy and Isuzu with chevy engines in them. I just bought a new expedition and to be honest I set out with the intentions to by a ram. If I had not decided to by an suv I would have definitely got the ram. They are very affordable in comparison to the similarly optioned ford and Chevy. If ford wasn't so expensive and I could have a fully optioned F150 I would. You are essentially getting a Lincoln truck without the grille and stitching for all intents and purposes. My personal experience with trucks as far as using them for what they were made for. My 05 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas out towed,out hauled, and out performed my F250 6.0 diesel truck. The F250 was just pretty and comfy. I guess it all boils down to how deep your pockets are and what you will use the truck for. I believe they all have there benefits over the other
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive noticed that gas powered tow trucks are usually chevy and diesel powered trucks are usually dodge cummins. you nvr see gas ford trucks as tow trucks...there are some ford diesels as well but mostly dodges.

[ January 17, 2012, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: a302juGRnuat ]

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Thanks for all the replies I'm definitely a Ford guy but yeah their pricing right now is way out there, I had an '06 lariat F-150 and at the time it was the cheapest truck of all the one's I looked at, today the Lariat F-150's are like 40+ that's just insane. Definitely going to keep researching and surprised to see a lot of people pushing the Chevy trucks but I guess if something gets the job done that is the point.
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well from the all the posts, i guess if you want a purty truck to lower and drive on the street.. get a ford..lol.. If you need a "TRUCK" then chevy and dodge are the way to go..lol..

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the chevy 1500's are turd's, if you're looking at 150/1500 level the dodge hemi is the best motor, followed by the ecoboost in the ford.

I got to drive just about every motor combo last year including the 4.8L/5.3L chevy, 5.xL Hemi ram, 3.7L v6, 3.5L ecoboost v6, 5.0L v8, and 6.2L V8 ford, and the best motor there IMO was the ecoboost v6. 400+ft/lb of torque from 1500rpm-5000rpm with no turbo lag and some option packages getting 24mpg highway...yes please! The 6.2L felt good also but it's only available in the raptor/HD trucks.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

You know what does drive me nuts is almost every F-150 in the Sacramento area that's 4 door only has the damn 5.5ft. bed, I guess that's what someone was saying about a family car with a bed.
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same issue in September before I bought my Tacoma. I test drove the Ram and really liked it, but what scared me away was resale value.

The truck is a very nice truck, especially the Laramie. They retail at 40+, but after rebates and ect. you can find them for around 30-35k. The one I looked at had leather, sun roof, alpine navigation, heated seats, 4x4, 20 inch rims, sounded nice, had lots of power when I got on it...Basically, everything you could ever want, but again I was concerned about the resale value. I looked at some 5-7 year Ram models on different websites and they were listed in the mid-teens as apposed to other brands.

I would hate to spend 35k on a vehicle and in 5 years it only be worth 18k...

I ended up purchasing a Tacoma, which is almost the size of a full size truck and IMO will hold it's value better and longer if I take care of it.

[ January 17, 2012, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: rgtrahn ]

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

quote:
Originally posted by rgtrahn:
I had the same issue in September before I bought my Tacoma. I test drove the Ram and really liked it, but what scared me away was resale value.

The truck is a very nice truck, especially the Laramie. They retail at 40+, but after rebates and ect. you can find them for around 30-35k. The one I looked at had leather, sun roof, alpine navigation, heated seats, 4x4, 20 inch rims, sounded nice, had lots of power when I got on it...Basically, everything you could ever want, but again I was concerned about the resale value. I looked at some 5-7 year Ram models on different websites and they were listed in the mid-teens as apposed to other brands.

I would hate to spend 35k on a vehicle and in 5 years it only be worth 18k...

I ended up purchasing a Tacoma, which is almost the size of a full size truck and IMO will hold it's value better and longer if I take care of it.

Yeah I hear ya the people love the Toyotas.
RODRIGUEZ
¯
Member # 9104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RODRIGUEZ  Ford pictures for RODRIGUEZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had my reg cab hemi sport 4x4 for about 4 months now and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! The power and smoothness of the hemi engine is great and the truck is dead sexy itself.

Go for the ram

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com