Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » putting a 8.8 in my 66

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: putting a 8.8 in my 66
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no more 8 inch that im tryin to find a posi and gears for. i got this guy thats narrowing my 8.8, adding perches with correct pinion angle, supplying 31 spline axles and bearings.with the 95 disc brakes all incorporated. so narrowing, putting corrected angle perches for the leaf springs. supplying axles bearings and seals. all for 500. i am a very happy camper! finished product will be a 355 geared, 31 spline auburn pro posi center. with correct width to run the 95 to 2000 sumthing rims, with the 95 disc brakes with no special mounting plate. tom talor is his name. great guy that ive been using to build other than the 5.0 rear ends for me for over 5 years now. the gears i bought off a member here new in the box fms 355 for 100 bucks. bought the auburn unit off a customer 2 years back for a hundred as well. and i already had the brakes laying around. bought the housing for 50 cause im out now that i noticed.im freakin very happy only prob , its gona be a week. then im off to iron 50 to get sub frames put in. yes im taking my car somewhere else to get sub frames! lol. for 2 hundred id rather do a tune up ,get that much in labor, than pay him. id still have to buy the material anyways, look at it, find an idea i like, cut and shape sub frames, then place and weld them on,,,, naw im cool for 2 hundred lol. thanks for listening to my bullshit lil story!
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just gotta find a matching sized front disc brake set up now.
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Need a new driveshaft now too right? emergency brake still going to work? $500 is a good deal. a 9" would cost you about $1300 with a used center section.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

LOL WELl,,,, im hoping a fifty flange will convert over and length still be gd, but thats just wish full thinkin, ill find out when i get there, and the emergency brake ill c when i get there 2,
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I keep going back and forth with building a posi 8" 3rd member or doing an 8.8 swap. Mustangs Plus occasionally has posi 8" 3rd members, but they're like $800.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just look around.. i got a 9" with 28 spline axles, detroit locker & 3:70 gears for 500 bucks.. Know its not 31 spline, but im just gonna get stronger axles and call it done. NO 5k Slick launches anyways..

those 8.8 rear ends can take some serious abuse so thats a good deal!

[ January 12, 2012, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
just look around.. i got a 9" with 28 spline axles, detroit locker & 3:70 gears for 500 bucks.. Know its not 31 spline, but im just gonna get stronger axles and call it done. NO 5k Slick launches anyways..

those 8.8 rear ends can take some serious abuse so thats a good deal!

havent really looked that hard because im not sure if im going to keep a 28 spline 9" in my car but who did you find that makes axles? most of the stuff I've seen is all 31 spline +. like I said havent looked that hard yet but just curious.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wanted to do the same John sounds good maybe you can pass that info this way sounds like an awesome deal and I want to do the same on my 66 so I can run a wide wheel in the back and sit low

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Dunkley you just gonna go ahead and run wheel spacers up front then?
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

well at the moment drums an spacers. not sure what else to do for the front. but as for the axles he gets them and figures all that out, siera is the brand i normal see he carries. he does mark up his prices on parts as far as i can see,and u just tell him what u want the outsome to be he does all the figuring, which is nice and rare. this is his number if u guys wana give him a call, say i sent u if u can, hes a nice older dude.1 530 409 7203. tom talor is his name.
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
theres some places on out there that make kits so that you can install some of the newer mustang brakes on your old school ...i bought some on ebay and it was super easy...just google it

--------------------
Ill keep my guns and my money, you can have the change

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

thanks for the front end brakes heads up, sorry i meant to say tom doe not mark his prices on the parts.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com